Suspension Tuning... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Suspension Tuning...

Hi,
I am wanting to fine tune the suspension on my bike so I have been reading the manual but a little confused about a few things so looking for help. Just got new tires and with the start of the new riding season coming soon I thought it would be a good time to make some adjustments. I made some adjustments last year but maybe I should have researched it more.

From manual:
5.5.1. Spring preload (front suspension)
The adjustment is obtained from the reference posi-
tion, which is found by fully turning the adjusting nut
counterclockwise; from this position, turn the screw
clockwise until you reach the standard position (see
enclosed table). Rotate clockwise to increase the
spring preload or counterclockwise to decrease it.

Is the reference position when the adjusting nut stops? What is meant by standard position? Is standard position the middle position? It's phrased like that in a couple of spots in the manual so I just want to make sure I am understanding it correctly.

Edit:
The workshop manual explained it a lot better than the owners manual.

Last edited by Angelo-MV; 03-29-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:12 AM

might be a good idea to write down what you start with before making any changes so you can go back to the original starting point if you don't like how it rides. standard might be the factory setting. GL

even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 02:14 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo-MV View Post
Hi,
I am wanting to fine tune the suspension on my bike so I have been reading the manual but a little confused about a few things so looking for help. Just got new tires and with the start of the new riding season coming soon I thought it would be a good time to make some adjustments. I made some adjustments last year but maybe I should have researched it more.

From manual:
5.5.1. Spring preload (front suspension)
The adjustment is obtained from the reference posi-
tion, which is found by fully turning the adjusting nut
counterclockwise; from this position, turn the screw
clockwise until you reach the standard position (see
enclosed table). Rotate clockwise to increase the
spring preload or counterclockwise to decrease it.

Is the reference position when the adjusting nut stops? What is meant by standard position? Is standard position the middle position? It's phrased like that in a couple of spots in the manual so I just want to make sure I am understanding it correctly.

Edit:
The workshop manual explained it a lot better than the owners manual.

Not to challenge your reading skills but is there no "enclosed table" which I would think would indicate the "standard position". No?

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingertight View Post
Not to challenge your reading skills but is there no "enclosed table" which I would think would indicate the "standard position". No?
The enclosed table in owner's manual was just a picture of the top of forks and rear shock showing where to make the adjustments. No mention of what the standard position is but the shop manual had more info for it like how many turns out the standard position is.

If you can tell by the picture from owners manual how may turns out the rebound and compression adjustment is then I will think your mechanic skills and eyes are very good

Last edited by Angelo-MV; 03-31-2017 at 03:15 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:29 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
The enclosed table in owner's manual was just a picture of the top of forks and rear shock showing where to make the adjustments. No mention of what the standard position is but the shop manual had more info for it like how many turns out the standard position is.

If you can tell by the picture from owners manual how may turns out the rebound and compression adjustment is then I will think your mechanic skills and eyes are very good

Eye sight is definitely going and my mechanic skills...well, these are MV's. So with the shop manual info at least can you figure out where the standard position is.

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
My eyes are going to and bike being an MV...My mechanic skills are improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingertight View Post
Quote:

Eye sight is definitely going and my mechanic skills...well, these are MV's. So with the shop manual info at least can you figure out where the standard position is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode