Brake Disc failure Poll - MVAgusta.net
View Poll Results: With <=17000 miles on the clock, have you ever had to replace one brake disc?
Yes 1 10.00%
No 9 90.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Brake Disc failure Poll

Hi guys

Just been having a warranty battle with MV Agusta:

Basically, there is a considerable amount of lateral and radial play with my LHS brake disc. The disc itself is securely fastened to the wheel, but it's apparent that the 'floater' have given way in one shape or form. I should also mention that I have recently made a claim to get the bearings replaced on the front wheel as the LHS ones were shot! MV were happy to honour this claim.

Anyway, my dealer was told that they would not honour this claim, despite us appealing that the broken bearing caused unnecessary strain, due to the disc moving about and hitting the pads with a 'twisting effect'

I have personally written to MV and am awaiting a response.

Was hoping I could get some mass community facts behind this. Have any of you, with an MV, ever, at 17000 miles or less, had to replace one brake disc due to lateral/radial play because of wear and tear? Yes or No

I'm just curious.

I have never started a poll before so please bear with me (I ticked the box, but cant see a preview)

Kag

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kageira; 02-21-2017 at 09:24 AM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 06:43 PM

4 different MVs and never that type of problem
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2 View Post
4 different MVs and never that type of problem
Yeh, thought it was weird they said it was wear and tear. Was just curious if it was a common occurence

Kag

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kageira View Post
Yeh, thought it was weird they said it was wear and tear. Was just curious if it was a common occurence
Were they referring to the bearing failure or the disc movement? I don't know your riding style or if you do track days but I guess if there was some hard riding on a regular basis maybe the disc could develop some movement. Same for the bearing, if not properly serviced they could fail. Seems like they would do something from a customer relationship standpoint to help. If nothing else provide the parts and you pay the labor.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 04:15 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
4 MVs here also...no disc or bearing failures.

Gapalicious 2020 at
from Sept. 23-Sept.27, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2 View Post
Were they referring to the bearing failure or the disc movement? I don't know your riding style or if you do track days but I guess if there was some hard riding on a regular basis maybe the disc could develop some movement. Same for the bearing, if not properly serviced they could fail. Seems like they would do something from a customer relationship standpoint to help. If nothing else provide the parts and you pay the labor.
They honored the bearing failure. A short while after I noticed the disc, my dealer agreed that the bearing failure would have been root cause for disc failure. MV disagrees.

I commute on the bike almost every weekday. No track time, I haven't even done a wheelie! (Surprise lol)

Kag

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:37 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kageira View Post
No track time, I haven't even done a wheelie! (Surprise lol)
Well, I'd say that's your problem right there

I had a disc fail, famously at just over 200kph.
It was my fault as I used it past the limit of wear, and then contacted Brembo who replaced both.
For a manufacturer to accept responsibility for a material failure ( which they do not manufacture) at such high mileage would be unusual in my mind. But you never know.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
For a manufacturer to accept responsibility for a material failure ( which they do not manufacture) at such high mileage would be unusual in my mind. But you never know.
When you put it like that, it's actually a good point!

Kag

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 03:33 PM

New Site Garage
my discs warped at 7K miles. upgraded to better Brembos with sintered pads. They work great now, better than new!

'14 F4 RR ABS Pearly White/ Deep Black (13K miles still rolling, Haha!)
'13 Panigale S ABS (18.5K miles SOLD)
'15 Panigale R (2K miles)
'15 Fireblade SP (1K miles)
Los Angeles North
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 03:24 PM

Worn, 2 sets, gave. Me the shits, so bought Wave rotors with ebs pads, now perfect

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode