Rear brake lever excessive movement. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Rear brake lever excessive movement.

Hi All

My rear brake lever has excessive movement. You need to press the pedal a long way before the brake works. I have looked at the system and the normal way you adjust a rear brake is to adjust the lever on the lever stop to get the desired lever height and then adjust the length of the pushrod to the master cylinder to achieve the correct amount of movement.
The Brutale 800 does not have a brake lever stop to adjust. You can adjust the pushrod but that just changes the height of the brake lever. Wherever you put the brake lever you still need to push a long way before the brake works.
This is the first bike I have had that does not have a rear brake lever stop on it. The only ways I can see round it is to make up a bracket and fashion my own stop for the original lever or to fit aftermarket rearsets that have a stop on them.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Just seen these on ebay. They look too good to be true for the price which usually means they are. Has anyone bought any of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Adjust...0AAOSwhcJWKKM0
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:54 PM

New Site Garage
Have you tried bleeding the brake properly?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
The Following User Says Thank You to Donsy For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Havn't tried bleeding it at all. To be honest it doesn't feel spongy and the brake works perfectly. Just excessive pedal movement. I'll bleed it tonight just to rule that out though.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 02:52 AM

New Site Garage
I've ridden more that one B3 800 around town, and the rear brake seemed fine every time, enough air in the system will also increase lever travel.. How much do you need it other than little bits in traffic or when stopped?

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 03:14 AM

New Site Garage
I was actually starting to think the same on my Dragster, seems an awful lot of pedal travel before anything happens and once you do get to that point the brakes are fine, even takes a fair press before the brake light comes on bloody pressure switches. I think I'll have the dealer look at it since the bike's there anyway.

Current steed - MY16 Dragster RR
Previous Bike - 2008 Triumph Street Triple
Scottish and living it up in South East Spain
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 04:56 AM

Yeah mines gradually got more and more lever movement as the miles have gone up. Will get around to bleeding it some time soon .

Brutale 800 Italia
Monster 796 .
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Donsy, I rode home with a mate the other day. He followed me for 30 miles and commented that I must have really good engine braking as my brake light didn't come on much. You're right I only use the rear in anger and to test each ride but once I know theres something not right I have to fix it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Just got home from work and bled the brake. There was a lot of air in the system. Lever now moves less than half the distance and brake is good. The ironic thing here is this has not just started happening. It has been like it since new (20 months) which is why I automatically put it down to maybe these bikes just have a lot of lever movement. Don't think much of MVs Quality control if they allow bikes to leave the factory like this. My throttle bodies were seriously out of balance as well. An easy adjustment transformed the fuelling. They must realize that delivering bikes like this will seriously damage their reputation. The Brutale is a stonkin bike but I have had to fettle with asymetric suspension settings, throttle body balancing and now this to get it to the standard it should have left the factory at.

Thank you Donsy for the bleed suggestion. I would not have thought it would be something that simple.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:55 AM

New Site Garage
Glad you're sorted mate.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

The Following User Says Thank You to Donsy For This Useful Post:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode