Rear static sag? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Rear static sag?

I have the 30mm static sag that all the bike setup websites seem to talk about but its still quite harsh over big bumps. Wondering whether to go for a bit more but I only have 5 threads left visible at the top of the shock.

On the front to get the 30mm I had to back the preload off to almost nothing. Feels good though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 04:04 AM

It could be that your rebounding too quickly. Perhaps take a look at making that adjustment next.

"When the people fear their government there is tyranny,when the government fears the people there is liberty. My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government"--Thomas Jefferson
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 04:56 AM

New Site Garage
Lightbulb

Yes, slow the spring reaction down, closing rebound will let the spring rebound a bit slower, less kick under the bum.
Do that first, leave compression damping the way it is for now.
That's if your bike has these settings available.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
That's if your bike has these settings available.
I'll go have a lookie....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

That worked to a degree but then I decided I was on the right track and started changing everything. Then torrential rain started so I put it away. I'm sure its better.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 08:05 PM

Just do the changes in small increments (1or 2clicks). If you slow the rebound too much on the rear the bike will squat and produce a slower corner exit speed. Make sure you know the original settings so you can go back to them when you stuff it up. This will serve as a useful baseline while you learn. I would also keep a record of all changes and how it felt so you can get a better understanding of what works.

Edit: Make sure your tyre pressures are correct before test riding it too as they can have an affect on what you feel and what is happening.

2000 F4 750
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I'm pretty OCD about tyre pressures. I cranked the rebound a whole turn and it was better but I was still getting kicked up the bum (copyright Donsy) on big bumps so I kept lowering the compression until I actually ran out of turns. So then I decided I didn't have enough compression so I started going up one half turn at a time. Then it started peeing down and I don't do wet weather riding so I went home. Actually wet weather riding is OK its the bike cleaning I don't like.

Like I say the front is fine. I ought to able to get the back OK because I'm a medium weight guy riding at medium speeds on medium crappy roads. I'm happy with how it handles in fact it feels great in turns its just the big hits at the rear that annoy me.

I think I'll take a couple of turns off the rear spring although I've already got 30mm of rear sag. See how that feels.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 05:01 AM

Mate, You should not need to be at extremes for normal road riding. By lowering compression do you mean making compression dampening softer? Because as mentioned above you likely don't need softer compression. The fact that you completely wound off compression dampening and didn't resolve the issue supports this. I would suggest, go back to original "normal" settings all round as per the manual and start again. Then just adjust one of the settings at a time to "soft" as per the manual. Start with rebound and make it slower. Keep changing it 1-2 clicks at a time until it is too far and then go back to the setting before.

You are making too large adjustments too. In My Opinion 1-2 clicks at a time on one thing are best most of the time. I have been out of the game for a while (had 10 years off until last year), the only time I made big adjustments was when I knew the settings I wanted because I had been to that track before. Some of the more experienced guys on here have the knowledge to just make big adjustments, but most people don't.
Best to be able to make the adjustments when you can test back to back on the same piece of road too, like a track.

What weight are are you?
What bike are you on?

Note: Don't intend to sound condescending if you are more experienced.

2000 F4 750

Last edited by Glenno; 06-22-2016 at 05:20 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

OK got to go out again. Whatever I did to the damping in either direction didn't solve it. That led me back to the preload. I took a turn off and it was def going in the right direction. Took another half turn off and that's it I'm leaving it there. Tweaked the damping a little and went backwards so I put it back where it was. Its not a magic carpet but that's not why I bought an MV. Its a bit notchy over rough town streets but when you get up to speed its great - no more being hit out of the saddle at 90mph. Still feels like an MV in the bends.

I'm surprised how much softer than the recommended settings I've had to go to get a decent ride but I'm glad I've found the compromise I wanted.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 09:05 PM

Funny all the comments about go a couple of clicks at a time .Sach's do not have click adjustments . I have had 31 superbikes and the rear shock on this bike is absolute shit .
I have it off to send out for revalving and if that don't help I will put a ttx on it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode