MV Agusta Forum banner

Tyre pressures road and track

19K views 50 replies 16 participants last post by  dean100yz 
#1 ·
What do people run? What's looked at as the best for feel and grip on road and what do people drop to on track?

I've been told 33 front and rear road, just looked at the forks and it said something like 38/39 (only briefly looked and forgotten now as it was in bar) and I read a test magazine that said 33 front 42 rear

Didn't see there was a tyre tech bit so I originally posted in the Brutale section. I have A Dragster RR with the 200 rear

#41 ·
What you are describing, Dons, is the difference in that cross-sectional profile that effects edge grip and diameter between differing manufacturers (triangular vs. eliptical). Even if the tire is stamped 190/55 the differences can be stark between Pirelli and Bridgestone and others.

it'll be a fun little experiment to illustrate what I believe...or disprove what I believe.

#42 ·
That's what I've been trying to say all along Chuck, what's stamped on the tyre does not accurately illustrate what you will get once that tyre is mounted and inflated.
And then another point everybody seems to overlook here is the massive difference in construction between road and race tyres, especially slicks.

#43 ·
Dons, with racing tires there must be a recommended pressure setting that is optimal? Unlike with road tires, where the pressure is reduced to improve traction (inevitably at the expense of speed and acceleration). Do you run nitrogen in your track tires for a more consistent pressure over temperature ranges?

I was thinking that maybe the Dragsters higher specified tire pressure was due to its function as a more straight line bike over the brutale and that lower pressures would reduce its effectiveness for that.

Since section width and section ratio (applied to section height) are what sets tire size, there is a lot of room for manufacturers to effect the tire shape. From a rectangle to a triangle, you could end up with anything in between. Tread depth becomes an important factor as increased tire weight comes with it.

So many variables, it's a very subjective topic. Is there really any difference in shape between a 200/55 tire at 29psi and a 200/50 running at 38? Their shape on the ground would be similar. Guess that's why tire development is it's own science.

#44 · (Edited)
Yes David, there is a recommended tyre pressure for the Pirelli's we use, anything between 23psi and 27psi HOT, depending on track temp and rider/bike weight and compound. I run 25psi HOT SC1 and SC2 almost always.
Front is between 30 and 33psi HOT, I sometimes run as high as 35 but 33psi in general.

Nitrogen was banned years ago, I'm nut even sure if MotoGP's and WSBK uses it.

That comparison between the two 200 tyres is just....not even saying anything :naughty:

#49 ·
for the road on my f4 I just use 33 as it says on the side of the screen

there's a huge difference in 190/50 and 190/55 in the Pirelli profiles

my rsv factory has 180/55 or 190/50 options and the 190 is flatter, the Fireblade is 190/50 only, and feels only a little better than the factory with a 50, the mv is 190/55 and better than both, even the factory with 180/55, so i'll possibly use 190/55 on all of them

the Fireblade feels like it needs to be taller at the back, the factory is harder to turn on a 50 for sure, and as 180/55 and 190/55 are so similar, it must be the way forward. I just have to see if others used 190/55 on the factory or Fireblade, more the Fireblade really.

I know quite a few have upped it to 60 on some bikes, but don't think I will, getting near the chain there, and hugger.

#50 ·
Hi Team,

I have purchased a Dragster RR with standard 120/70 and 200/50 tyres. I'm about 300 kms in and they are sitting at 31 front and 32 rear cold.
I am now confused after reading this lot. What pressure when cold should I be on once tyres are run in?
Forks say 38 and 39 psi. This seems high?

Would I be best at 33F and 34R cold?

Many thanks and what a great bike!

#51 ·
I reckon i can help a bit here having been in the same situation March last year and making similar posts

Firstly you are currently running rosso 2 they are fine as a general tyre if you ride no more than 7/10th

Second after trying both what the fork reads (38f 39r) and then checking the pirelli website and trying their recommended 34f 34r i would definitely recommend 34. Much better feeling and feedback

If you want to go one better ditch the 50 profile and go 55 but this depends on your riding style

Ignore previous posts they are talking about track and compounds that require tyre warmers (sc range)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.