ABS or not? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
ABS or not?

Hello, I've decided I really need ( ) a new 800 Italia, but am told I can only have the ABS version at the moment... Is it a good option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 11:10 AM

It depends. Do you want to pay extra for it?!

If you stay calm when in an emergency there realy is no need for it. That's why i advice ABS for less experienced drivers. Bigger balls equals less need for ABS.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Established Member

I'm a new rider and went for the abs. The way I see it, it's like an airbag. Don't care on a normal day, but the second it engages, I'll be glad I had it.

ABS is also standard on all 800s coming in to canada as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 12:09 PM

All new bike production from MV will now feature ABS, it is now a legal requirement in EU.

So your options are limited, finding an old stock Italia without ABS is possible, not sure where in the world you are but suggest picking up the phone and ringing your dealers/distributor.

Is ABS such a bad thing? When I bought my B800 it was not an option, I certainly don't regret the buy. I believe the ABS works very well on the new bikes, so it depends what you want.

jimboF4
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 02:57 PM

Wouldn't mind ABS on mine if I had the option. Even for track use (race mode).
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Interesting, thanks for the replies.

I have had quite a few bikes and currently have a KTM RC8 (which I'm keeping) and a Moto Guzzi 1100 sport (injection) which will be sold, but never had one with ABS and to be honest not fussed about having it (maybe if I had I would never go back etc, but...). It is the extra cost that is putting me off, however if it is the way forward (for MV) then so be it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Established Member

If you need it it's awesome it also gives a huge safety margin when riding hard on track or quick on the road. You may think you are a superstar rider but the ability to slam the brakes as hard as you want ,not tuck the front and still steer is pretty great.As is trail braking super deep into a corner on track and being able to hold the brakes harder and deeper while leaning and not worrying as much about tucking the front

16 MV F3800RC-16 BMWS1000RR-13 Panigale R-74 Harley Bobber
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 07:26 PM

We, Moto Forza, have a non-Abs Italia in stock. Contact me if ypu are interested.I don't like ABS on anything other than a touring bike maybe. On most bikes with it, I turn it off right away.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 02:11 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeTwin View Post
however if it is the way forward (for MV) then so be it.

It's the Bureaucrats in Brussels who decided it was the way forward, not MV. All manufacturers are having to introduce ABS on anything above 125cc by the end of next year if they want to sell their bikes in Europe.

I'm sure some of the bods who came up with that decision were rewarded handsomely from the manufacturers like Bosch who's systems the bike manufacturers buy and install?

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 06:00 AM

I'm of the opinion that for leisure country trips the ABS would be optional as you are predominantly in control with limited necessity for emergency braking. On the other hand if using the bike as a comuter then definitely the ABS option as in traffic you never know who will do something stupid and you need to 'emergency' brake (grab a handful of stopping power without locking the front type braking).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode