Heavy steering on DRAGSTER 2018 - MVAgusta.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Heavy steering on DRAGSTER 2018

Hi All,

So I just want some advice as only had the bike 2 wks and I'm finding the steering really heavy when riding slow. I cannot work out if it's just me and not being use to the wider bars? I haven't had my suspension set up done yet and I have the standard tyres 120/70 and 200/50 set at the 36/41 psi.

I have only ridden her twice as the weather has been raining most of the time and it's knocked my confidence a bit at slow speed and really worried it won't turn it quickly enough and I'll drop the bike at slow speeds. I've come from a Ducati Panigale 899.

Any advice greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:37 AM

Maybe a steering damper turned up too high?
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Have to say I've not adjusted it as yet and didn't want to mess with it until I got some advice from the forum, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 10:41 AM
Al-

assess how much weight you're putting on the bars, you're probably fighting the bike by not keeping your core tight. I would start there before assuming something wrong with the bike unless the tire is flat or the steering is bound up in some way.

2004 F4 SPR F4RR Corsacorta Powered
2006 Brutale 910S
2012 F4 RR
2012 F4 RR
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 11:16 AM

It is most likely your damper like @[email protected] mentioned. It's easy to mess with so no worries. I run into this all the time with the difference between urban and country riding. I'm always like "what the hell" and laugh to myself.

E d w a r d B4910s08

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Forum Introduction Thread)
2. Include your LOCATION in your profile: Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
3. Include your BIKE MODEL/S in your signature: Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Special thanks to forum member Donsy
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Having read a lot about them this afternoon it does sound like that, I never had to adjust mine on my Ducati. So I'm assuming Lesser is lighter steering and visa versa. So I'll give it a couple of lesser turns and see what happens.

Thanks everyone
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounatin Fun View Post
Having read a lot about them this afternoon it does sound like that, I never had to adjust mine on my Ducati. So I'm assuming Lesser is lighter steering and visa versa. So I'll give it a couple of lesser turns and see what happens.

Thanks everyone
Turn all the way out then back the other way so you know the range you have and the feel. It's best to adjust while riding until you get a feel for it.

E d w a r d B4910s08

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
(Forum Introduction Thread)
2. Include your LOCATION in your profile: Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
3. Include your BIKE MODEL/S in your signature: Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
Special thanks to forum member Donsy
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

So I've just counted the turns its set on at the mo...it takes 11 turns to fully stiffen it and it only has 4 turns left to fully lighten! Not sure what the hell that means....anyway, I shall take it for a ride when weather is better and have a play.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounatin Fun View Post
Hi All,

So I just want some advice as only had the bike 2 wks and I'm finding the steering really heavy when riding slow. I cannot work out if it's just me and not being use to the wider bars? I haven't had my suspension set up done yet and I have the standard tyres 120/70 and 200/50 set at the 36/41 psi.

I have only ridden her twice as the weather has been raining most of the time and it's knocked my confidence a bit at slow speed and really worried it won't turn it quickly enough and I'll drop the bike at slow speeds. I've come from a Ducati Panigale 899.

Any advice greatly appreciated
Hey MF, the comments above are accurate and comprehensive. To summarize, 1. you wanna check if the steering damper is set to hard, 2. make sure you keep your arms relaxed when you are riding and do not exert vertical force to the handlebar, 3. check tire pressures, if they are low, the steering could be heavy, 4. last but not least, the surface you ride on can have an impact on the steering

BTW, we have similar experience. I had an 899 but crashed that on the track 2 months ago. Now I own a 2018 Dragster 800 RR.

2018 MV Agusta Dragster 800 RR (Euro 4)
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Thank you...just need to stop bloody raining

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode