One-year owners review MV 2018 Dragster 800 RR - MVAgusta.net
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
One-year owners review MV 2018 Dragster 800 RR

One-year owners review of MV Agusta 2018 Dragster 800 RR

Background: bike bought new here in Houston from MVA dealer. I traded a Triumph 675 Street Triple RX, staying with a high performance, lightweight triple engine. I enjoy the triple combination of power, sound, torque and light weight. I am a 65 year old "experienced" rider and also own a Moto Guzzi V7 III Special. I find the two bikes complementary. On to the review:

Owner experience:

Bike was expertly set up by MV dealer, and I had my 600 mile maintenance there. I have had only one problem with the bike: left blinker failed on floating fender. Since purchase, my dealer closed, I have no local warranty service, so I replaced the floating fender unit with the New Rage Cycles LED set. At one year I have just shy of 3000 miles on the bike. My riding is on the Texas Gulf Coast, inner Houston congestion, rural roads, and suburbs.

The bike has been utterly reliable. Never a difficult start, no leaks, nothing loose or falling off, and by far the most trouble free first year experience of any motorcycle I have owned. I give mechanical reliability for first year five stars. Also the initial build finish is stellar, five stars again: no blemishes, plastic tank has not swollen (I do use an ethanol gas treatment recommended by dealer). Maintenance has been lubricating the chain (no other adjustment needed), tire pressure (I have an extension hose and use manual pump).

MV provided manual is excellent, but a bit vague at times. I liked the USB file fob, and stickers and welcome letter. Keys are beautiful also: lots of attention to detail on all levels for new owner. Bike cost over $20,000: this is an expensive machine!

Riding experience:

The engine is remarkable: powerful, smooth as silk, and a perfect match to the six speed transmission. Let me say SMOOTH again, the engine is silky at any RPM. Power comes on strong above 8000 RPM, and at some point I always have to de-throttle or run out of road or anything close to legal-safe on highway speeds. Freeway riding is a breeze on this bike: cruising at 80-90 mph is effortless, the bike track beautifully, and is flickable as needed. Standard bar end mirrors are a bit buzzy, but provide excellent rear views and adjustability.

The auto-blip UP and DOWN transmission is both quick and fun and practical when riding either aggressively or leisurely. I use the clutch from first to second and also downshift to first. Neutral is always an easy find. Occasionally I have had a missed first to second shift, but that is user error. The transmission gear ranges are perfect the right gear is always available all the way from navigating dense traffic to cruising at high speed. It took me a long time to truly figure out how to use the auto-shifter from higher to lower gears. That was mainly user ignorance, but the manual did not help. Key is to be in gradual deceleration mode, and soft pressure on shifter by toe, and it snicks right down. Low and decreasing engine RPM during downshift is required. Auto UP shift is intuitive, quick and rapid.

Cornering is intuitive, and the bike will stay in a tight corner, or decreasing radius turn no issues. Steering effort is light. Moving the bike around on the garage pad is a bit clumsy due to limited steering head radius. The bike is very lightweight (wet at just over 400 pounds), hence again the bike easy to handle for a smaller person like myself. I have taken some local tight corners at twice posted limit: no headshake, and the bike has plenty of clearance. I do not ride knee down on the streets. We have few true twisty roads in this area.

Riding geometry is upright, great views, giving no knee, wrist or back or neck problems for my body. The bike is more comfortable than the Triumph Street Triple due the seat being softer and roomier. The rear seat bump is necessary for full-on acceleration. Clutch and throttle both are a bit stiff for my small hands. I added grip puppies to the grips, and they help. Any stuck in traffic, clutch in and out situation is fatiguing. However, easy to find neutral really helps that situation.

Rider throttle control is helpful at slow speed, and take off: the fairly tall gearing can produce some really abrupt starts. It is called Dragster for a reason: acceleration is phenomenal (nick name for the bike is "Italian Terror"). Hence, the bike does take care, and some getting used to.

Brakes are superb: good feedback, gradual, take a light touch, and the ABS works. Adjustable ABS helps, so does traction control. I have not changed initial dealer settings. I ride in Normal mode 95% of the time, feeling no need for Sport. Rain mode has been very useful when caught in high traffic, surprise rain storms and very slick streets.

Safety of the bike in my opinion is superb. Great brakes, visibility, tires and instantaneous throttle response all combine for a safe ride, for the experienced rider.

There are two negatives to the bike riding experience. The first is the engine throws a LOT of heat when the fan is on. In our near tropical TEXAS humid summer climate, discomfort from heat builds fast. My solution is to wear mesh riding pants by Klim: and that one change makes summer riding much more enjoyable. However, when it is cold temperatures, the heat throw is nice. The other negative is the small LED screen numbers for the two reset trip odometers. Tiny numbers mean difficult focus while riding. Actually resetting the trip odometers upon tank refill is a bit tricky: gloves off, hold the right part of the button four seconds, then release. I had to have dealer demo the button for me, as I could not figure it out with the manual.

At high speed the oval, slanted headlight, with small MV fly-screen provides surprisingly smooth air. Combine with a high quality full face helmet like my Shoei: no big issues at 80 mph+. The Triumph, by comparison I had to add a flatscreen extender.

I do not ride at night, so no comments on light quality. Blinkers and rear brake lights are great, with noted exception above.

Range of the bike is right at 120 miles when the low fuel light comes on. This averages 36 miles/gallon.

I added a RadGuard radiator screen to protect the unit from stones and bugs.

Cleaning the bike is difficult due to all the small spaces, it takes patience, small brushes and time.

Overall riding experience gets 4.5 stars with the major ding for the mediocre LED screen.

Intangibles and Opinions

I was extremely disappointed when my local Houston, TX MV dealer shuttered, without warning, last January, 2019. My nearest dealer is Dallas, TX. The 3 year warranty, if needed: huge question if MV will honor. I plan on next maintenance to be done by an independent Houston mechanical shop with stellar reputation, and they said they can care for the bike normal maintenance. I have considered selling or trading the Dragster, but the high reliability and extremely positive owner experiences have kept it in my garage.

The bike is stunningly beautiful in the yellow and black livery. Many times I have had positive comments from other riders. I agree, it is by far the most beautiful bike I have owned, with my blue Guzzi a close second. Sound of the bike with stock exhaust, to me, rings like an Italian Choir of Angels... no need to change. I admit Italian bias as I am part Italian DNA, and have loved Italian bikes for years, and make a mean spaghetti and enjoy a great DOCG Barolo.

A key accessory for me has been a tank gas cap ring and small bag. I always carry water, and like have room for small items while riding.

The Dragster is just fun to ride! However, it rewards a smooth throttle hand and experience. I would never recommend this bike to a newer rider, nor someone desiring an inner city commuting bike with lots of stop and go. The bike likes to fly fast. Bike geometry fits best for smaller weight and height riders, but a six footer could be ok. Long legs will get cramped. Bike gets five stars on those rider preference intangibles.

This rider has to be careful with speed limits. Frankly, I am surprised I have not been ticketed as I have sometimes really pushed limits and tested the acceleration. I like the fact not everyone owns an MV Agusta. Given that, I have only once seen another MV on the road here in the Houston, TX area (4th largest city in USA).

Conclusion

Overall I give the 2018 Dragster RR 800 a 4.5 star rating out of a possible five. Would I buy the bike again? Without a local dealer, as of today, my answer would be no. Given I have made the investment, love the bike, and have hopes of continued high reliability, and for a local competent independent mechanic: I will keep the Dragster. If the bike ever does go into reliability issues, and I can't exercise warranty, or get a local repair: watch for a great deal on a Dragster for sale. Who knows, maybe some competent dealer in Houston will add a MV franchise, and support local owners?

Overall, I always end my writing with the warning "YMMV", or "Your Mileage May Vary". Above are my personal opinions and experiences. Thanks, and I hope this review helps current owners, and prospective MV buyers.
Attached Images

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly....
2018 MV Agusta 800 Brutale RR-- "Betttina" in Giallo-Nero

Last edited by lucydad; 09-01-2019 at 05:49 PM. Reason: minor additions upon review
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 06:11 PM

Nice write up!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 07:05 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Great personal review..... MV USA should hire you to write Ad copy !!

Seriously, I think MV's are overlooked by a lot of people and build really great bikes. Thanks for the write up.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks, reading again emphasizes to me how important a local, competent MV franchise dealer is to me. For others, perhaps mechanics, or more patient, or flexible: maybe not a big issue. I lost both my MV and Guzzi dealer in January. We have a replacement Houston Guzzi/Aprilia dealer: however with horrid local reputation. Given that, I may test them with my Guzzi, after their mechanics get training? Or not.

If I was to trade my Dragster, two bikes are possibles: Triumph Speed Twin, and the KTM 790 Duke. Both brands have good to excellent dealers, and I think would be good replacements for my MV. But, they would not match the MV "panache", or character, and not Italian. We have two local Ducati dealers, but none of the Ducatis really turn my head.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 07:49 PM
Established Member

Nice review. Thx!

2019 MV Agusta Dragster 800RR
2007 Benelli Tornado Naked Tre 1130
2009 MV Agusta Brutale 910S (sold)
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
One more thought to share. When I bought my Dragster, the same dealer had a nearly new Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory for sale. Bike had 150 miles on it. I took it out on a test ride after testing the Dragster-- back to back rides. I found the Tuono heavier, bulkier, less comfortable, less agile and less interesting than the Dragster. Tuono was about $1500 less than the Dragster RR. On the looks department, I vastly prefer the MV. The Tuono has the ugliest exhaust ever... and overall design sense is less elegant. The Tuono engine, however, impressed the hell out of me, so did the brakes and display. Tuono had one feature I really liked: electronic cruise control. I think at the $20 grand price range, MV should add electronic cruise to all their bikes. Upside for me would be less fatigue on the long freeway drones (about 50 miles NW) to get to any decent curves or modest hills. The Tuono with, 175 HP, ride by wire throttle-- almost requires cruise to keep a steady speed. Tuono was hell in traffic whereas, the Dragster, to me is civil and predictable. YMMV. EOM.

If I ever get the desire for more than the Dragster claimed 144 HP, my choice would be the Oro type bike, if MV builds a less costly, more available version. I have yet to try a 4-cylinder MV. If the right one came up for sale, I still might be tempted, maybe. Grazie!

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 04:54 AM

New Site Garage
That was a nice, easy to read review Greg.
Nicely build up and put into different categories, which really makes it look like a propper magazine quality review.

Im glad to hear someone is that happy with their bike, to keep it eventhough no official dealers are nearby.
We all have read stories that some sell theirs bequase of that reason.

And we dont get to see or read positive experiences all that often on the forums.
Yes people say they love their bikes in their 1st welcoming post. But not dedicated posts like yours.

Also I give your review a 5 out of 5.
Again, easy to read and nicely build up.
cruiser and lucydad like this.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Saw of Black and Gold,

I much appreciate your positive comment! I enjoy writing, and did a lot of technical writing in my 40 year oil exploration career as a geoscientist. "Clear writing is clear thinking". Was planning a breakfast ride this morning to meet fellow retired motorcycle enthusiasts on Labor Day-- had to cancel due to heavy rain. Maybe it will clear later?
Terrys409 likes this.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:01 PM

New Site Garage
Cool Ymmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydad View Post
.... I enjoy writing, and did a lot of technical writing in my 40 year oil exploration career ...
Easy read review. Plenty of good feedback.

After 3 months and twice the mileage my experience is almost the same.

'Xept for the revs I keep high and the use of quick shifter.
No reason to pussyfoot about it.
Push the gear lever down and the Dragster goes bark ...bark ...bark ... sweet and swift.

The exhaust valve helps the Dragster sound like some poor man's VTEC.
and OEM pipes sing like a missile launch on a Verdi score.

I share the conclusion: Chirrup the Dragster rocks.

And the manuel, pdf or paper sucks.

Did you get the RFID proof card holder?
Attached Images

lucydad likes this.

Dragster
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Nope... did not get card holder...hmm, let me look in the box again?

Good to hear my observations are on track.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in