MV Agusta Forum banner

Here we go again 🤦‍♀️... 2015 Matt grey B3

3K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  MV Arthur 
#1 ·
Right after purchasing my bike, I noticed gas was leaking through one of the hoses. They confirmed the tank had to be replaced. After months of waiting (they couldn’t find a matching tank, only had a red one available) I received my new tank and the tank was all good until now. So yesterday, I went to wipe off what I thought was a bit of dirt and I saw that the paint was cracking. Upon further inspection, I noticed that in between the cracks, was red paint.
Now this had me ?....
Did they paint over the pre-existing tank to pass it off as a grey one? Has anyone else experienced this “paint cracking” issue? Any input would be helpful. Thanks!!!

#2 ·
It is very difficult to answer your question about them painting over the red. I would obviously contact them.

My 2 cents: I can't believe that somebody would paint on top of the current paint without stripping... I think that if they did that, you should run away from these people. They should have told you they were "offering" to repaint it, and then they should have stripped the existing paint.

#3 ·
In order to change color on sound original paint, all that is required is a paint prep wash to remove any wax, oils, and silicones and then a "scuff" to kill the shine and promote adhesion of the new paint. Two coats of color, one of clear and bingo a new tank color. There is no need to remove the original paint.

Now, to the issue of cracking: MV uses Acerbis to make their plastic tanks. The material Acerbis sued to make early tanks was not compatible with ethanol and the ethanol would swell those tanks. That swelling cause the cracking you see. I have had this happen to a 2010 B4 Brutale and a 2015 B3 800 RR.

There is supposed to be a Gray Dot on the tank to indicate it is a newer material that is less susceptible to this ethanol swelling issue.

There are many threads on this....with pictures.

Reactions: Robbedoes
#5 ·
Plastic is used simply because it is easier to form into complex shapes.

#8 ·
You need to have a discussion with MV USA and your dealer..... ethanol related problems with MV tanks ceased to be an issue a while back. At least, complaints seem to have dropped away to nothing globally (from this forums responses, anyway). Ducati also had big problems (among others).

#9 ·
No tank problems on my 2018 Dragster RR, and we have ethanol 10% gas here in Texas, USA. I have had the bike almost a year. Dealer did tell me to add S 100 gas treatment to keep water from separating.

Good luck!

#10 ·
Right after purchasing my bike, I noticed gas was leaking through one of the hoses. They confirmed the tank had to be replaced. After months of waiting (they couldn’t find a matching tank, only had a red one available) I received my new tank and the tank was all good until now. So yesterday, I went to wipe off what I thought was a bit of dirt and I saw that the paint was cracking. Upon further inspection, I noticed that in between the cracks, was red paint.
Now this had me ?....
Did they paint over the pre-existing tank to pass it off as a grey one? Has anyone else experienced this “paint cracking” issue? Any input would be helpful. Thanks!!!
It is very difficult to answer your question about them painting over the red. I would obviously contact them.

My 2 cents: I can't believe that somebody would paint on top of the current paint without stripping... I think that if they did that, you should run away from these people. They should have told you they were "offering" to repaint it, and then they should have stripped the existing paint.

I hope this isn’t actually the case too. I will be contacting my local MV dealer and try to get this resolved asap.

#13 ·
Yes! Why didn’t I think of that?!! Here you go. All this reading had me thinking... when the original was replaced, this newer one had this bizarre looking wavy paint job (on the sides where my knee/inner thigh sits). You couldn’t really see so I ignored it but now I’m wondering if this is normal ?.... I’m going to be listing a few more later.

Attachments

#15 ·
#16 ·
I had pictures of my tank side warpage and fuel leakage for MV Agusta when I made the warranty claim. I cannot find those pictures now.

#17 ·
You didn’t have to go thru all that trouble but thanks for the links!! ?
I came across an article speaking of tank coating. I believe it was from GTL advantage. I’m not sure if the newer tanks are already coated but if I was to have this done, wouldn’t it void my warranty? Any locations near the North East coast?

#18 ·
The tank coatings are do-it-yourself and the instructions are easy to follow.

If you have a new tank, you should not have to coat it.

Use a quality ethanol treatment and keep your tank completely full, or completely empty, when storing for a long period.

#25 · (Edited)
That's the stuff I use and recommend. I've sealed more than a few tanks with their product, including porous Chinese carbon fiber and rusty 5 decade old steel....and plastic.

The rust blast and cleaner products can be recovered and reused, too. The stripper product really works well if you want to remove an old failed sealer.

#24 ·
My mat-black Dragster tank cracked exactly like the pictures above almost immediately after buying my bike. My dealer didn't blink an eye and told me my tank was swelling and it would be replaced. I had a replacement in under three weeks, and it's been fine since.

That said, I did motorcycle paint in the 1970's and the pictures you poster are obviously painted over another finish without proper prep. Sub-optimal work IMO.

#27 ·
I just spoke to my local MV shop and they passed this onto MV Agusta USA. I don’t think getting a new one would be an issue but finding a matching one will.
Now regarding the paint job, I’m hoping they didn’t do it but at this point I wouldn’t be surprised since I was given the run around for months before they “magically” found one. Just sucks that they would go thru all of that as if it wasn’t gonna be an issue later in the future.

#31 · (Edited)
What is that date on the QC label???

22 February 201?

Looks like 2018, maybe not. There's a clue for you.

The KBS coating is pretty easy to use, just follow directions carefully and be patient.
You need to plug holes that you don't want sealant to go into...on an old metal tank that may be screw holes for petcocks.

I use an appropriate size rubber cork from the hardware store for the gas cap hole....I thread a sheet metal screw into it so I can easily pop it out.

On the MV tanks I use a plastic tub (think big margarine or other container) that fits the into the pump hole, and hold it firmly in place while rotating the tank for coating. I put vacuum caps on the vent tube nipples at the cap area and then cut them off once sealant has cured.

You have to use your head. No brand/model specific directions given.

#32 · (Edited)
Another way to see your tank expanding it to look at the steering damper. One side will be much closer the the tank then the other.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.