learned more about quickshifter.. Dragster RR - MVAgusta.net
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
learned more about quickshifter.. Dragster RR

All,

Gorgeous day here on the Gulf Coast of TX, so I took my 2018 Dragster RR out for a retired guys motorcycle breakfast this morning. Habit from my old Triumph 675 triple: quick shift up only, manual clutch downshift. The Triumph, if attempting a downshift quick shift would stall, die, electronics disrupt, take a while to reset, then be normal. So, I was very focused on the only upshift quick shift routine.

Dragster quick shifter goes both ways, right? Upshift on Dragster is smooth as butter. What I notice on the downshift, quick shift: the transmission prefers light load to modest deceleration, then it clicks nicely. Otherwise, it is resistant. I need to get into the habit of quick shifting both up and down. First to second I use the clutch.

Amazing machine, it is so much fun!
gotfolk likes this.

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly....
2018 MV Agusta 800 Brutale RR-- "Betttina" in Giallo-Nero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:54 AM

Yes, no clutch up or down gears.

Quick shifters and auto blip, in my experience, generally work better at higher revs (well they were designed for the track)
PTsalas, jdgun and nigelrb like this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydad View Post
Dragster quick shifter goes both ways, right? Upshift on Dragster is smooth as butter. What I notice on the downshift, quick shift: the transmission prefers light load to modest deceleration, then it clicks nicely. Otherwise, it is resistant. I need to get into the habit of quick shifting both up and down. First to second I use the clutch.
Hi mate, can you elaborate on what kind of resistance you are experiencing?

If you mean that, when you apply downward pressure on the peg, it refuses to shift down, it probably means you have a faulty QS switch.

The way it is designed is that the switch gets pressed with slightly less pressure than what is needed to mechanically shift the gear. So if all was working as I'd expect:

-Too little pressure on peg, will make the engine blip with no gear change
-Too much pressure (i.e a stamp!) would work as you would still be pressing the switch before changing (Although, your bike may dislike you for it!!)

You being able to change under a lighter transmission load may just be an unintended clutchless shift.

I say this assuming that you are actually rolling off the throttle before downshifting.

I normally test the switch by tapping the peg with minimal pressure to engage switch without trying to change gear. It's a good way to check that it's working properly.

Has the bike been in the rain at all? Have you washed it (I hope so!)?

lucydad likes this.

Kag

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Kag,

Thanks for your knowledgeable reply! You said:

I say this assuming that you are actually rolling off the throttle before downshifting.

Yes, roll off before downshifting.

I normally test the switch by tapping the peg with minimal pressure to engage switch without trying to change gear. It's a good way to check that it's working properly.

So... pardon my question... best way to test the down polarity quick shifter is: a)steady throttle, no roll off, b) tap downshift, c) if no shift-- and resistance, might be problem?

No heavy rain, but some. I don't wash with hose or pressure.

I will experiment more next ride. Could be I "get" quick upshifting, but after decades of clutch downshifting I am doing it wrong? Bike has just over 2000 miles. If there was a problem with the QS, would it show up on initial diagnostics when key turned?

If I had a local dealer I might ask them, but Houston went poof.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Ok, read about twenty threads on quick shifter using "Advanced Search". Could be...(?) since I usually ride in normal mode, quick shifter downshift is not enabled? Perhaps I shall try sport mode and see if there is a difference. I am also going to check the system for tightness...and possible wetness. Not a big deal, but why not?

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:50 PM

For up shift, better at higher revs, i.e on the throttle as thats what you would be doing on the track. But for downshift/blipper, my F4RR (with ECU Studio) will not shift unless you are fully off the throttle. Any hint of throttle and the lever just feels solid but yes, also better if the revs are still high.

Have to be honest and say this is my only experience with blipper, my Dragster only has up shift, currently.

Dragster 800 2015
F4 RR 2013
Brutale 1090 RR 2011 - Sold
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Kag,

Thanks for your knowledgeable reply! You said:

Yes, roll off before downshifting.

So... pardon my question... best way to test the down polarity quick shifter is: a)steady throttle, no roll off, b) tap downshift, c) if no shift-- and resistance, might be problem?

No heavy rain, but some. I don't wash with hose or pressure.

I will experiment more next ride. Could be I "get" quick upshifting, but after decades of clutch downshifting I am doing it wrong? Bike has just over 2000 miles. If there was a problem with the QS, would it show up on initial diagnostics when key turned?

If I had a local dealer I might ask them, but Houston went poof.

A: correction to 'c' you dont want it to shift, you want it to blip. So if you get no blip when you tap, you may have a problem. Or, as you found out, may be cos of the mode you are in.

I only ever ride in sport mode, so not too sure.

I've ridden in rain and washed my bike. My newer dragster has been fine so far, but on my old one, the rain used to run havoc with the QS switch. in the end, after getting it replaced under warranty, I siliconed it up!

QS faults wont show on diagnostics. At least not for the rider to see.

Good luck, let us know your findings

Kag

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
. . . Could be...(?) since I usually ride in normal mode, quick shifter downshift is not enabled? Perhaps I shall try sport mode and see if there is a difference. . .
Valid point - it might not be enabled. Whilst I'm not familiar with the MV quick shift system, on the Hondas the enabling/disabling is done through the dash 'modes' function, quite possibly under quick shifter itself. Owner's Manual should steer you straight.

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2011 CBR1000RR : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:01 AM

New Site Garage
First of all lets stop calling auto blipper: "quickshifter downshift" that makes no sense.

So first lets start with this: Start with turning the key and start the bike up, get the engine running.
Press and hold starter button till the modes start flashing on your dashboard. Press starter button till you reach "Sport mode". Wait 5 seconds till the mode stops flashing.
Your bike is now in sport mode.

Now proceed as in image provided (Taken from Brutale 800 owners manual ED:2)
Scroll through menu till you see quickshifter: Set it to ON.
"IF THERE IS A AUTOBLIP SETTING IN THE MENU": Set it to ON (<- Coudnt find this in the owners manual, so maybe its actived automaticly with the quickshifter option)(If its not in the menu IGNORE this line)

It's fairly easy:
Quickshifting:
-On throttle, push only gear lever up

Autoblipper:
-Off throttle, push only gear lever down
If for whatever reason this doesnt work try this: -Off throttle, Slightess pressure on front brake lever WHILE holding it, press gear lever down.

*Make sure you press the front brake lever in beyond the phase where it gives the clicking sound. (that activates your brake light. Maybe you need front brake to be able to use autoblipper)

If it doesnt work with any of that. It might indeed be a faulty QS sensor or electric issue I dont have the knowledge off.
Attached Images

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
BG Saw, Nigel, Kag:

Much thanks for guidance. I shall dig into my 2018 Dragster RR manual a bit further. And I shall work thru the bike settings also. The manual, for me (as I am neanderthal), can be a big vague.

For me, the definition between "blip" and shift is a bit confusing.

I will work it out and report back results.

Grazie...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode