MV Agusta Forum banner

Brutale RR, ABS setting and Rain mode...

11K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  esq'z me 
#1 ·
All,

New owner here with just over 100 miles on 2018 Brutale 800 Dragster RR.

Question one: I currently have ABS set at "1". I played a bit with emergency stopping and found the ABS to barely engage? Brakes are powerful to be sure. Would "2" or "3" engage ABS a bit sooner? Can be a big deal in Houston traffic and rain.

Question two: speaking of rain, we get a lot of it in the Houston, TX USA area. Reading the manual, I set engine map mode using the right side start button: Normal, Rain, Sport, etc. Manual says set mode while engine on: does that mean engine actually turning after start? If so, does pressing start button grind starter? Or, not? Can I switch to Rain mode while riding the bike, at speed using the starter button? On some bikes touching that starter is a big nope while engine running. And if in Rain mode, does that increase ABS setting also so it engages a bit more? Please advise.

Oh, and after some experiments with the left side button, with arrows: the actual buttons are under the arrows. And yes best found with ungloved hand. Not the best design.

Thanks for guiding this new MV owner. I plan on riding Sunday, and yes rain is a possible.

Wow it is an amazing machine. Sh! Devi parlare sottovoce.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi.
To answer question two first: have the engine running. The start button sends a signal to the ECU rather than directly to the start solenoid, so there'll be no grinding.
Regarding ABS, on the Dragster you'll feel the ABS on the rear before the front, so perhaps try it on some wet grass or similarly slippery surface - it really does work. From memory, the setting is either on or off (so 1 or 0).

#3 ·
ABS 2 = Front and rear wheel enabled.
ABS 1 = Front wheel enabled, rear wheel disabled (track)
ABS 0 = Front and rear wheel disabled.

As for changing mapping. Fire up the bike and wait 10 seconds (just to be sure) then press and hold start button. Now the mapping will start flashing on your dashboard.
Keep tapping the button till you get desired mapping and wait till it stops blinking, mapping is selected.

I tried this while riding, I also pulled in clutch while performing this action. No problems and no grinding.

#4 ·
Do folks with new bikes no longer read the manuals that come with them?

I'm just an inquiring mind....:smoking:

Reactions: rcannon409
#5 ·
Much thanks. Actually yes I read the manual carefully. The explanations of ABS levels and effects and also the mapping mode issue are a bit incomplete. This forum is an outstanding resource for details and full understanding of the bike. I have found most motorcycle brands, and documentation to omit a thing or two. The Brutale is a pretty sophisticated electronics machine, hence clarification questions.

Off to ride shortly, rain chances today, I will know what to do.

#6 · (Edited)
I was just curious as I have a B3 800RR and I thought the user manual was ok. I had not read the bit about front wheel activation versus rear wheel activation and will be doing a bit more research now.

Reactions: SAROY
#7 ·
A couple more comments about my new Brutale. First, the bike throws quite a bit of heat compared to the Triumph Triple, and my Moto Guzzi small block. But, the heat is not over the top, and heck it is August, in TEXAS anyway. Not a big deal.

Second, I wanted to check tire air pressures today. Found out with the RR wire wheels, it is difficult to get to the valve stems. Concluded I need a valve stem extension to use my air pump, so I ordered one from Amazon. I went through chain tension, oil level, clutch and brake fluid levels and such. But, I am unsure how to check the radiator coolant level. I will look at manual again on that.

I am still familiarizing myself with the bike. It is quite the engineering marvel. Engine is not "pretty" like the Moto Guzzi, but the MV sophistication is extreme.

#10 ·
My F4 has ABS options Off, On and race.

Btw the Rain setting does not affect the ABS, its a separate system. The Rain mode changes the engine characteristics, e.g throttle mapping and max torque and throttle at a given RPM.

#11 ·
All,

New owner here with just over 100 miles on 2018 Brutale 800 Dragster RR.

Question one: I currently have ABS set at "1". I played a bit with emergency stopping and found the ABS to barely engage? Brakes are powerful to be sure. Would "2" or "3" engage ABS a bit sooner? Can be a big deal in Houston traffic and rain.

Question two: speaking of rain, we get a lot of it in the Houston, TX USA area. Reading the manual, I set engine map mode using the right side start button: Normal, Rain, Sport, etc. Manual says set mode while engine on: does that mean engine actually turning after start? If so, does pressing start button grind starter? Or, not? Can I switch to Rain mode while riding the bike, at speed using the starter button? On some bikes touching that starter is a big nope while engine running. And if in Rain mode, does that increase ABS setting also so it engages a bit more? Please advise.

Oh, and after some experiments with the left side button, with arrows: the actual buttons are under the arrows. And yes best found with ungloved hand. Not the best design.

Thanks for guiding this new MV owner. I plan on riding Sunday, and yes rain is a possible.

Wow it is an amazing machine. Sh! Devi parlare sottovoce.

I wonder how to adjust the ABS setting.... 2020 Brutale RR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.