Lucydad test 2018 Brutale Dragster RR... - MVAgusta.net
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Red face Lucydad test 2018 Brutale Dragster RR...

All,

I rode my 2015 Triumph 675 STRX into Italian Superbikes this morning, here in Houston. First of all may I applaud and thank and give extreme praise to Brian K. and his crew at my local MV and Moto Guzzi dealer. Brian set the Dragster up for me, and made sure it was legal for a test, etc. I know this dealership due to buying my Guzzi V7 III Special from them last year-- they are simply professional in all aspects.

The yellow/black bike in question has a bit of history: originally sold, ridden 5 miles or so, then transmission failure. Swap back for another MV and a search revealed a set of similar bikes with a bearing issue. Mechanic swapped out new transmission cartridge and bearing and tested. Good as new, and still considered a new bike with full 3 year warranty.

Test ride conditions: hot/dry about 84 degrees, on SW Freeway of Houston, maybe ten miles total. Enough to get a good impression of the bike. Ok, here we go with my review. I am 64 years old, long time rider, and 5 ft 5 inches tall, 30 inch inseam, about 160 pounds, great shape for my age. And yeah I like fast Italian bikes.

--fit for me is like a glove, the bike is compact, light, low center of gravity, nearly flat feet, a bit more upright than my Triumph, no pressure on wrists, no hunting about for any levers
--hydraulic clutch is stiff for my small hands, but very smooth, engage at very far end of release, finding neutral a bit difficult, N light is small
--the sound, well, the SOUND...yeah, wow...gorgeous-- a lot more gusto than the Triumph, and I consider the Trumpet to be a very nice auditory bike
--bit more vibration than the Triumph, bar end mirrors a bit of shake at idle, but nothing I consider to be annoying
--shifting is smooth and easy, tried the auto-blip-- very nice, went through all six gear several times
--a very pleasant surprise: very smooth cruising sixth gear at 80 mph, very comfortable
--set on "normal" the dv/dt is excellent, did not push hard due to new engine and traffic
--even more pleasant surprise: minimal wind blast above 70 mph...headlite/fly screen combine to give a very smooth fluid dynamics for the rider, no need for additional fly screen like my Triumph
--brisk acceleration, but I did not push the bike hard since it is new, similarly brakes competent, gradual, no surprises
-- the bike is VERY flickable..even with the big rear tire...even more responsive than my Triumph...counter-rotating system reduces inertia? and I love responsive bikes, went through a freeway U-turn pretty quick...stayed planted...but wary of brand new tires, not scrubbed...
--LCD gauge is easily readable, but inferior design to the Triumph: small N light and turn signal light, and turn button seemed stiff-- throttle is a bit stiff also, like the clutch...
--the bike would be hellish to clean, especially the pretty wire wheels....but so is my Guzzi...
--bike finish is gorgeous, colors in sun are brilliant, saw no blemishes...nice rear LCD brake light...not sure if front headlight is adequate, or not from daytime test..

Overall impression: "felice sorriso". Definitely feel the extra 35 or so more horses than the Triumph. The MV is a bit more edgy in personality, the Triumph refined and smooth. The intangible grin factor is higher with the MV and I think the yellow/black is gorgeous. Comfort is high. The MV is not for everyone, that is for sure. Extremely fun bike.

Decision time over the weekend. Will I pull the trigger? I am sleeping on the decision.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 03:03 PM

New Site Garage
Mv forum can forsee the future, so congratulations on the purchase

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 04:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Gold_Saw View Post
Mv forum can forsee the future, so congratulations on the purchase
Good call, BGS. I was thinking how well the shirt complements the bike!!

2007 MV F4 1000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 04:02 PM

New Site Garage
In my case it was couldn't sleep until it was in my garage.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Lol...yeah it was a fun test indeed. Coincidence the shirt matched the yellow. I am still amazed how well the bike fits me. Must be my Italian genetics?

Couple questions: what maker provides a rear lift stand for the single sided swing arm? Do I need a spindle? Chain maintenance is easier with rear lifted.

What about frame sliders? Any recommendations? Does MV make them, or is there some supplier?

Yep, my gears are spinning on the bike without doubt.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 04:58 PM
Established Member

The more the better. Great shop. Brian and his staff have been very helpful. Enyoy
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 05:02 PM

New Site Garage
I see you're from USA so a well known Pit Bull rear stand should work, but you need to buy the pin seperatly that goes into the axle. Out of my head I believe its a 42mm pin.

Have a look at designcorse for frame sliders.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 05:14 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydad View Post
Lol...yeah it was a fun test indeed. Coincidence the shirt matched the yellow. I am still amazed how well the bike fits me. Must be my Italian genetics?

Couple questions: what maker provides a rear lift stand for the single sided swing arm? Do I need a spindle? Chain maintenance is easier with rear lifted.

What about frame sliders? Any recommendations? Does MV make them, or is there some supplier?

Yep, my gears are spinning on the bike without doubt.
MV makes the best looking frame sliders in my opinion, but it isn't cheap. You can order the Pitbull stand with the MV pin directly from the Pitbull website. Since we're in Houston, I would recommend getting radiator guards. Someone's license plate bracket shot out from under the tire of the car in front of me and through the grill of my BMW's oil cooler, I didn't take any chances on my bike.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
A few more comments after some mental digestion:

-- the MV bar end mirrors are superb, fully adjustable, nice image, and stock: as good as aftermarket Rizomas on my Triumph
-- will the transmission loosen up a bit, will that dodgy Neutral become easier with miles? Big deal for me with our long congested Houston intersection lights-- predicted answer is yes...also supported by mechanic at dealer-- can the clutch be adjusted a bit?
--bit of struggle with small N light and blinkers on lights...but time and familiarity would help-- what engineer picked these tiny lights?
-- bit stuck on the high effort hydraulic clutch and my small hands...but only an issue if Neutral difficult.

May come down to a coin flip.

Honestly, my Triumph is a gem in all respects except for terrible local dealer support. Bike is perfectly sorted, but yeah I am a bit bored with it.

Italian heart versus my Germanic/Scot engineering brain, and thrift....I will give myself a deadline for the decision: Tuesday morning either yes or no to dealer.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 01:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydad View Post
what maker provides a rear lift stand for the single sided swing arm? Do I need a spindle?
R & G make a single-sided stand: https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike...PADD-SS-LH-BK/

I have one for my F4. However, you might prefer to weigh up the benefit of purchasing a 'full lift' type stand such as this type: https://abbastands.co.uk/product-det...ke-stand&pid=1

Probably don't have ABBA in the USA (except on CDs) but I'm sure you'd have a similar product with which you can lift the front wheel also.

2007 MV F4 1000R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode