2017 Brutale - Fuel from Overflow Tube - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

2017 Brutale - Fuel from Overflow Tube

Had this issue from day one (brand new bike purchase), comes and goes but with the hot weather its gotten worse. Every so often I find a few drops of gas under my overflow tube when I go into my garage in the morning. During 600 mile service the guys told me "dont fill it up so much" and I explained I never fill past the black three-pronged bracket inside the tank. They didn't believe me and blew out the charcoal canister stating that was the issue. Since then I have been carefully refueling, staying 1-2 inches below the black bracket, and the issue randomly persisted. At a point I thought the only way to mitigate seemed to be opening the tank whenever I parked and i'd hear a 'whoosh' sound and I thought it had something to do with vacuum.

Long story short the issue is still here but much worse with the warm weather, I'm taking the bike in for scheduled service on Saturday (oil change, try to get my back brake to actually work, question about bubble inside tank, and this) and any ammo about similar situations or opinons on the matter would help.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 07:33 AM

It wouldn't hurt to contact customer support at MV Agusta USA. Let them know of your concerns and ask for their assistance to get it resolved.

Bikes:

2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce Lusso
2015 Triumph Street Triple R
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Update, whole new tank assembly needed. Covered by warranty but I'm off the road for a few weeks at least. The issue was a molded breather tube that was cracked/not holding vacuum? and gas was leaking directly into the charcoal canister which overflowed.

Its a pain but I like this explanation a lot better than "just don't fill it up so much"
esq'z me likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:25 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post
Had this issue from day one (brand new bike purchase), comes and goes but with the hot weather its gotten worse. Every so often I find a few drops of gas under my overflow tube when I go into my garage in the morning. During 600 mile service the guys told me "dont fill it up so much" and I explained I never fill past the black three-pronged bracket inside the tank. They didn't believe me and blew out the charcoal canister stating that was the issue. Since then I have been carefully refueling, staying 1-2 inches below the black bracket, and the issue randomly persisted. At a point I thought the only way to mitigate seemed to be opening the tank whenever I parked and i'd hear a 'whoosh' sound and I thought it had something to do with vacuum.

Long story short the issue is still here but much worse with the warm weather, I'm taking the bike in for scheduled service on Saturday (oil change, try to get my back brake to actually work, question about bubble inside tank, and this) and any ammo about similar situations or opinons on the matter would help.

Thanks
Looks like I'm having a similar problem with my 2017 B3 800. It just started the other day when I saw some gas dripping from the overflow tube when i got home after filling up. Just this evening when I got home from a ride I noticed the same issue, wooshing sound when opening the fuel cap. I'm taking it to the dealer so they can check and I will show them the photos.
Attached Images

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Goodluck, hope its an easy fix but sounds same as mine. I also have the '17 B3 800.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Update:
Made my weekly call to the dealer who has my bike, they said the tank came in but MV sent them the 2018 model (which is a different shade of red and has white stripes). I'm trying to have the patience to wait another month but I'd be lying if I said I wasnt considering calling a lawyer to see if MV can be forced to buy the bike back under the CA lemon law.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 11:05 PM

New Site Garage
I figured I would post an update to my fuel leak situation as well just in case anyone is curious. I left my bike at the dealership for a couple of weeks and they discovered that the cause of my leak was the main gasket where the fuel cap seals against the tank lip that has deteriorated from the inside for some unknown reason. They replaced the gasket and I have confirmed that there was not a single drop of fuel coming out of the overflow tube after I took her home.
silentservice703 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to htxbrute For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post
Update:
Made my weekly call to the dealer who has my bike, they said the tank came in but MV sent them the 2018 model (which is a different shade of red and has white stripes). I'm trying to have the patience to wait another month but I'd be lying if I said I wasnt considering calling a lawyer to see if MV can be forced to buy the bike back under the CA lemon law.
Any update on this mate?

Kag

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 11:40 AM
Established Member

KTM uses fuel caps that are made by the same vendor, and there have been multiple problems with the cap not venting properly, and the gasket failing.

FWIW, the cap vents through the main body of the hinged lid, and that leads to a rubber seal that mates to the small dish-shaped part on the tank flange that is at the 11:00 position in the. picture above. That has a hose that leads to the bottom of the tank, and from there it goes to the charcoal canister, or the road if the canister is missing in action.

The other little hole is to drain water and fuel that may get spilled during filling (or leaked from the cap due to a bad gasket). If the water drain hole clogs, water can get into the tank.

Checking that both hoses are not clogged is a good place to start when trouble-shooting tank problems. My advice is to NOT use compressed air to test flow. It can blow the internal hose off and cause lots of swearing to happen.

2017 Dragster

2014 BMW R1200GS
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 01:48 PM

New Site Garage
Looks like it’s happening again. The new gasket is cracking and fuel is starting to drip. I am just going to order a Moto Corse fuel cap and hopefully that permanently fixes the problem.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode