final decision new Brutale 800 Dragster RR - MVAgusta.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Question final decision new Brutale 800 Dragster RR

All,

Ok, I have read all the issues on sprag clutch problems. Just asked my dealer (and he is honest, and superb in my experience with Moto Guzzi). He said: "Sprag clutch issues resolved 2 years ago, 17s and up have upgraded sprigs and software. Gearbox also new design. Was an issue up thru 16 model and is warrantied on all bikes. Other issues also redesigned out of bikes.

Comments? Advice please? Help an old guy out...

cheers,
lucydad in Sugar Land, TX USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 09:34 PM

My 16 Brutale RR which, I think is the same engine in the Dragster, was replaced. MV (Italy) built a hybrid motor specifically for my bike. It included most of the upgrades from the 2018 except where my existing electronics would not support them.
I have to say the transmission seemed a whole lot better and the engine seemed to run smoother.
So your dealer is most likely telling you the truth, the 2018 800's are a much more refined product with both the mechanicals and electronics.

Bikes:

2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce Lusso
2015 Triumph Street Triple R
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I rechecked model year on the bike I am interested in: 2018. It is gold/black Brutale Dragster RR.

Thanks for your comments. I am very interested in the bike, and it is $$$$$, and do not want to make a mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 01:25 AM

I also agonized three years ago before taking the plunge and getting a Brutale 800rr. And this was before the 'new' sprag clutch.

I am so glad that i decided to go ahead with the purchase. The one and only issue i had (sprag clutch not surprisingly) was dealt with quickly and professionally and it must be noted that i never actually got stranded anywhere - it would just take a while before it started.

So glad. An MV really is something special. Three years later people still stare and ask more about it.

Faster and Faster untill the fear of death subsides.....
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 03:38 AM

New Site Garage
i am not sure the last version of the sprag-clutch is completely fault free as the differences are apparently very subtle
i don't think i read complains from the my17 models owner just yet

older models are getting it too once it fails, as we enjoy life-long warranty on that part
on my my15 dragsterRR i have the 5th version, released in March. i will make sure to post if it fails again

when consider the extra money for a my18, aside the looks department, i would weight more other improvements:
-updated intake valve and valve guides (i would sleep better at night knowing that was addressed)
-the gearbox that was redesigned to be quieter but when I tested the new brutale, it did feel smoother too
-reviewed exhaust valve springs
-the engine mount points are also different. apparently making the frame-engine stiffer. this i did not notice tho :-D
cavlino and cavlino like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 03:56 PM
Established Member

I had to have the sprag on my Dragster rr warrantied before it had 1000 miles on it, (2015 model) it never stranded me but it was very embarrassing. The bike now has 14,000 miles on it and it starts o.k. but it still skips a beat now and then (like today) I think the lithium battery is the only reason I haven't had to do it again. The bike is insane to ride and it still gets a lot of attention I got the thumbs up 3 times this morning...the drawback is going on long distance rides I get tired of hauling a heavy back pack and there is not very much room on the passenger seat for a day bag although I did rig up a pack for my saddle sore 1000 ride. I think I will be buying a ktm super duke gt...

If your phone isn't ringing..it's probably me!...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks again to experienced, current owners sharing experiences and thoughts. I keep asking myself: is the bike worth $19K? That is five grand more than my Triumph STRX and over twice what I paid for my 2017 Moto Guzzi V7 III Special.

This particular gold/black bike was sold, buyer rode it a few miles, it had transmission issue. Turns out there was a bad bearing, and dealer just let buyer take the other identical model in other color. Dealer got parts and repaired. Might be able to leverage a bit of discount based on fact it was sold/titled.

I do like this black/gold combination a lot. Bike fits me well. Hydraulic clutch seems a bit stiff. Any idea if clutch
might ease off required pull strength once broken in? Test ride will not be for a few weeks as I want to mull it over, and also travel schedule. I do not like to rush these things. Italian Superbikes has treated me superbly compared to next door mega dealer.

Here is the bike, and dealer:
https://**********************/Motor...1-a87e013bbf7d
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 05:24 PM

New Site Garage
You're overthinking this. MV Agustas are bought with the heart. Listen to your heart.
Allworld and Allworld like this.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
The Following User Says Thank You to italia For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:36 PM
Established Member

I rode mine so many times on youtube that I bought it without ever sitting on the seat, had it trucked to my house for $300.00 at first 50 miles was a long ride but I kept doing rides that were extending me until I was able to do 1065 miles in 22hrs. with the stock seat and no after market wind protection. the "go cruz" throttle lock allows this to happen, I am able to rest my right hand. Im telling you from the heart it is a bad ass motorcycle! another thing that is impressive about the dragster rr..it flies! I ride with some nice fast motorcycles and it is hard for them to keep up with the dragster, 0-100 m.p.h. and they are looking at your tail light. I weigh 160 lbs. the DNA air filter also made a noticeable difference in the performance.
masterspin77.net

If your phone isn't ringing..it's probably me!...
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Italia,

What do you expect from a retired engineer? And about half Irish, some Italian, and a bit of Germanic/Brit?

I have had buyers remorse-regret several times on cars. Notably a 1984 Corvette and 2002 BMW 330I and a 1977 VW Scirocco: all just expensive junk. Not so much motorcycles as I tend to pay attention to what I really want more, and what fits, and what works. Forums like this allow sharing of experience by owners, and filter out impulse buys.

We were in Italy a couple weeks ago, staying in Varenna, that is the glacial lake complex-system due east from Varese where MV is based. The roads are amazing, but not high speed. Even the Italian freeways had strict, 90 km/hr limits, and enforced. No idea why Ferraris, MVs, Ducatis and even Moto Guzzis use their high end speeds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode