Bubble on tank - MVAgusta.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Bubble on tank

So I'm meticulously cleaning off bike last night and notice a what appears to be a small bubble on the side of my gas tank? It's about the size of mosquito bite, and I'm certain it wasn't there at purchase (which was this summer - 2017 B3 800).

So....what do I do? Is this the dreaded tank swell of some sort?

2017 MV Agusta B3
Ducati Panigale 1199
Ducati SF -Sold
Ducati Monster -Sold
Harley 48
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 07:54 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanks View Post
So I'm meticulously cleaning off bike last night and notice a what appears to be a small bubble on the side of my gas tank? It's about the size of mosquito bite, and I'm certain it wasn't there at purchase (which was this summer - 2017 B3 800).

So....what do I do? Is this the dreaded tank swell of some sort?
It always helps to provide photos.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 08:00 AM

New Site Garage
On some older models the tank would bubble from the ethanol in gas. It was mostly a problem in the US. MV changed materials in later models to help with this problem.
Being yours is a newer model it shouldn't have the bubble issue.
My 2014 F3 tank was replaced and my friend's 2014 Brutale's tank was replaced too.
Take your bike to dealer so they get some pictures to send it off to MV.
Fairbanks and Fairbanks like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Yeah I posted this at work, I will snap a photo and post it and send a pic to the dealer to see what's up. My Ducati SF had the tank replaced because the ethanol gas is shit out here, but the swelling on that bike was nothing like a little bubble....it was more of a crowding of seam along gas cap.

2017 MV Agusta B3
Ducati Panigale 1199
Ducati SF -Sold
Ducati Monster -Sold
Harley 48
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo-MV View Post
On some older models the tank would bubble from the ethanol in gas. It was mostly a problem in the US. MV changed materials in later models to help with this problem.
Being yours is a newer model it shouldn't have the bubble issue.
My 2014 F3 tank was replaced and my friend's 2014 Brutale's tank was replaced too.
Take your bike to dealer so they get some pictures to send it off to MV.
They're still using the same plastic crap they've always used. I'm on my third tank. in the USA we're protected by an ethanol law. It warranties the tank for five years. You should be covered and you should also expect this to occur again.

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR

Last edited by Atom; 09-30-2017 at 01:01 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 12:59 AM

I did had exactly the same problem with my b3 '14, and i did the same thing but they didn't accept my tank, so i left my tank open whiteout fuel in it over winter(maybe little more) and wuoala la it's back, not enough but it was better, much better, then I do it all the time when i parked in garage, and there isn't anymore, from now on I'm trying to left min. fuel in as much as i can and that's it

1. Fkn ethanol in US
2. Wtf MV
3. Beter solution than spend $1500+ shipping
The Following User Says Thank You to Nenad87s For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 06:53 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Ethanol gas is now a world wide problem.....no longer just a US foolishness. The tank plastic was supposedly reformulated by the supplier (Acerbis???) to address this. My '08 Brutale tank has never had a problem.

You should seal the tank if you think it will be damaged by ethanol.
RBx and RBx like this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 10:30 AM
RBx

^^^ this.
Had the same swelling on my Ducati Monster tank, no bubbles, but the tank swells to the point it contacts the latch and crowds the seat. Anyhow, i let it dry out for a few months over the winter and used Caswell (sp?) Dragons Blood to coat the interior of the tank per manufacturer recommendations to protect against the ethanol. Again, this is from the ethanol poisoning. As Ed suggested, get a new tank and coat it before you install the tank and hopefully it will be the last tank you replace due to the bubbles. I wonder if letting the tank dry out for a few months will remove the bubble?
Hope that helps
The Following User Says Thank You to RBx For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:51 PM

New Site Garage
USA ethanol law? Where did u hear this from? I asked my dealer about this and they said I would only have 2 yr warranty which is what the bike comes with and after that, it would have to come out of my pocket.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:28 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbycakes View Post
USA ethanol law? Where did u hear this from? I asked my dealer about this and they said I would only have 2 yr warranty which is what the bike comes with and after that, it would have to come out of my pocket.

I think he is referring to the Federal (and California specific) Emissions Laws. These laws require components on highway legal motorcycles that affect exhaust or evaporative gas emissions (and noise) to function for 5 years or 30,000 kilometers (18.641 mikes).

That time/mileage is for larger bikes. Little bikes (200 cc for example) have shorter time/mileage periods, as do off-road vehicles.

If a covered component fails, causing the vehicle to exceed the allowed amount of pollutant (gasses or noise) emissions, the manufacturer is required to replace it free of cost to the consumer. So, if the fuel tank fails the evaporative emissions standard it would be covered.

Should an engine sensor (Coolant Temp, Air Temp, Manifold Pressure, etc), or component (gas cap vent, ignition coil, fuel injector, muffler etc) fail causing the engine to run poorly or evaporating gas to escape or the exhaust noise level become excessive it would be covered by the emissions warranty for the specified period.

I don't believe the swelling or bubbling of finish would be covered, unless you have the means to perform the tests required to prove evaporative emissions exceed the allowed limits.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode