2017 B3 Odd shut off - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By silentservice703
  • 2 Post By Fairbanks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2017, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

2017 B3 Odd shut off

I was running at a pretty good pace through canyons the other day and when I pulled into the marina at the lake in second gear with the clutch pulled in, when all of a sudden the engine just shut off. The bike lost all power, luckily I was already pulling over and so I stopped, flipped the key into the off position and then turned it back on where it fired right back up as though nothing happened? I don't recall any data showing up on the dash, the temperature of the engine was well within normal range, I had a half tank of fuel and there had been no symptoms or irregularities that I had noticed leading up to this power down.

The bike is a 2017 B3 with about 800 miles on the ODO. Now this is the second time it's happened, the first time was two weeks into ownership with maybe 300 miles on the ODO, but I chalked it up to me out of habit hitting the kill switch as I was pulling into the my driveway. Both times the dash gave no warning lights and the bike immediately turned over as though it never happened.

It goes into the dealership in the morning for a look see. If anyone has theories I'm all ears.

Thanks

2017 MV Agusta B3
Ducati Panigale 1199
Ducati SF -Sold
Ducati Monster -Sold
Harley 48
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 07:09 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
These bikes suffer from a poor initial Throttle Body balance. I think I would have them start there.
Fairbanks and Fairbanks like this.

Gapalicious 2020 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from TENTATIVELYSept. 30-OCT.4, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Old 08-08-2017, 08:19 AM

Typically instant off's lean toward some sort of electrical issue. If the bike slowly dies that would more likely be a fueling issue.
Check for any loose connections, if it is happening more often then the connection at fault may be getting looser........... This is just my thought as a possibility but since it is new and under warranty get the dealer to sort it out.

Bikes:

2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce Lusso
2015 Triumph Street Triple R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I will report back once I take it into the dealer and get it back this week. It seemed electrical to me because the entire power went out as though the kill switch was hit but hopefully they can sort it out.

Thanks for the replies above

2017 MV Agusta B3
Ducati Panigale 1199
Ducati SF -Sold
Ducati Monster -Sold
Harley 48
Old 08-08-2017, 12:02 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Yes, that would be electrical.

Gapalicious 2020 at
from TENTATIVELYSept. 30-OCT.4, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Old 08-09-2017, 07:40 PM

My 2015 brutale was doing the same thing. It happened shortly after I bought it. It was startling when it happened, but thankfully I was on side streets and able to get to the side of the road. It was fine for a few hundred miles and then it started shutting off again while riding. Similar to what you explained. It was like someone hit the kill switch. I would have to pull over and turn the key off and back on and the bike would restart like normal. I took it to the dealer and they updated the mapping. It didn't help. Bike was still shutting off. Now it was becoming very frequent. I took it back to the dealer and they figured out that it was a faulty tilt sensor. The dealer replaced the tilt sensor and I have not had a problem with it shutting off. I am now dealing with a new issue...(leaky fuel tank) Hope they figure it out for you!
The Following User Says Thank You to northcountydds For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 02:28 PM

I also have a 2017 that this mysterious cut out has happened to, in a spirited 200 mile run with a couple riding buddies it occurred 3 times the first 2 I automatically pulled in the clutch then after a second of confusion just let it back out and it fired back up and kept going, the third time it happened I tried the same thing but it seems like the slipper clutch wasn't allowing the wheel to turn the motor (maybe to high of a gear) so I just hit the starter button and again it fired back up, none of these instances did I ever cycle the kill switch or ignition key to the off position to reset anything, whatever it is seemed to clear itself when the engine came to a stop. I hasn't happened again in the last couple weeks, if it does I question the tilt sensor.
Just putting my scenario out there.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Well I got my bike back from the dealer and after a week of diagnosis and sending the engine data history to Italy, we still have no conclusive answer as to what is causing the shut down.

They checked the kickstand sensor and tilt sensor, both of which were operating just fine. I've been extremely lucky in that both times, I was pulling into park the bike, but if this were to happen out on the freeway it could be a pucker moment.
Aldo and Aldo like this.

2017 MV Agusta B3
Ducati Panigale 1199
Ducati SF -Sold
Ducati Monster -Sold
Harley 48

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in