Thinking of getting a 2015 B3 800 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of getting a 2015 B3 800

Hello gents (and ladies)

I've been loving the look of the MV Brutale (and dragsters) for quite some time. I actually stopped riding a few years ago to do the "be a responsible father" thing...

My son is now 19 and he just bought his first bike. (2013 Honda CB500F) He has given me the itch to ride again!

I'm 45, 6' 3", 210 lbs. I've ridden for over 20 years, and my last bike was a Honda CBR1000RR. I'm just a bit too old for a crotch rocket anymore, hence the interest in a naked bike.

I've done a ton of research online, but have a few questions that I hope you folk might be able to answer.

First of all, I live in Dallas, and there are no MV dealers here. (The MV site shows a place in Plano, but when I called them, they stated they no longer sell or service MVs.) So, Austin is my closest dealer. (About a 3 hour drive / ride)

How difficult are these Italian works of art to work on? I've always done my own basic work on my bikes, after the warranty ran out. I DID however use the dealer for the factory services while new to maintain the warranty. That being said, is the warranty on the new MVs 2 years, unlimited miles?

I understand the 2016 models had a bit of a rework and a bunch of upgrades. I'd be just fine getting a 2015 if I was certain the issues of earlier years have been resolved, especially since my dealer isn't quite local. I assume the horror stories of throttle mapping have been resolved on the 2015s....

Finally, I've found what I consider to be a great deal, but it's in CA. Remember, I live in TX. If anyone lives around Moorpark and can tell me anything about the reputation of Tri-County Powersports, I am considering buying from them sight unseen and having the bike shipped to me. (I considered flying out and riding the bike back, but I'd have to stop half way home and get the initial 600m service done, and there are NO dealers on my route home...)

Any and all advice is welcome... I've never owned an Italian bike before, but I figure I can afford one now, and I have no young kids to worry about. I also don't have a wife to answer to, so the only thing I answer to any more is my pocket book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

And one more question for you owners... Although I LOVE the bike, you all know the first mod is always cleaning up the growth that protrudes for the rear plate. I have yet to look, are there any options for a tidy tail for MVs" What about any other customization? Japanese bikes are a dime a dozen and have after market parts available everywhere. What about these fine rare machines?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 11:39 AM

There are loads of tail tidies. Mine has the evotech. If I were about to buy a 15 I think I'd think strongly about the 16 depending on the deal you can get on the 15. The earlier bike is an awesome thing but it's a hot rod which loads of people including myself love about it. However I suspect from the reviews that the 16 is a hot rod with the rough edges smoothed off. The rough edges aren't that bad and I haven't ridden a 16 so I'm going by what the comics say. For example lots of owners have spent some time fiddling with suspension settings or getting a pro setup. On the 16 it comes plush and ready out of the box. Some people have had probs with throttle response and although this is way better now than the first bikes the 16 is top drawer. The traction control on the 16 is much less heavy handed than before. You get up and down quickshift on the 16.

All of that said I think I prefer the looks of the earlier bike and I like the addictively bonkers top end. Whenever I start thinking about the 16 I tell myself I could get a pro suspension set up and the EFI mapped for a lot less money and I'd have a bike that was just as nice to ride if not slightly better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 03:39 PM

New Rage do a nice tail tidy

“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 10:58 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
The B3 800 will feel very small under you.
I am 6'2".

That being said, it is a nice bike to ride. Throttle response is the first thing you will need to address. The custom mappping mode allows you to adjust throttle repsonse. It has a tendancy to be choppy and to hunt at constant throttle openings.

The supension will likely be too soft for you. Adjustments there will also be required. I just rode my B3 800RR through some twisties and it tended to wallow in transitions...I am 250 USDA Grade A pounds.

Make the adjustmetns and the bike is brilliant.

Have you considered the B4 1090RR? The reason I ask is simply based on your size. My 1090RR is a far more suited bike.

Gapalicious 2020 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from Sept. 23-Sept.27, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode