Rented a B3 800 2016 for a day... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Rented a B3 800 2016 for a day...

I'm a new driver (mid 30s), my experience being limited to getting my license (100-ish hours supervised driving on a Honda CBF600) and renting a Yamaha MT-09 a few weeks ago.

A few weeks ago I made the mistake of visiting a dealer that sells MV's; after one look I just had to ride one. Yesterday, the weather finally permitted driving around all day, so I rented a 2016 Brutale 800 and drove it around the area for about 6 hours straight.

I was definitely amused by the bike. In normal mode it was very manageable even for a noob like me. My first experience quickshifting too, what a hoot!

But I have some questions/comments. It's probably just my noobishness, unfortunately I don't have any riding friends (yet?), so I have no one else to ask.

--- The clutch. The grab point for the clutch was difficult to hold (compared to the MT-09, and the CBF600 I was trained on). Though I never let it stall, it just felt a bit 'off' to me. I felt (at very low speeds) I was dicking around with the clutch more than on the other bikes.

--- Neutral. It happened half a dozen times that I would go from 1 to 2 or the reverse, and it ended up in neutral instead. This while the display would happily show me 1 or 2 until revving it a bit, and then it would suddenly jump to 0 instead. Is that a case of not shifting forcefully enough?

--- Rear brake. To me it felt like you need to push down on the lever pretty far for _any_ braking to be applied. A bit difficult to control exactly on the first day. Is this structural, or a case of brakes that are far gone? This is not necessarily a bad thing, as I'm fairly tall with shoe size ginormous, so due to my leg/foot angle it was difficult to not regularly be breaking accidentally on the other bikes which had very sensitive rear brakes.

--- Engine sound. On the youtube videos it seems the B3 800 has a fairly smooth tune when accelerating. The one I drove however sounded raw and ratchety (for lack of a better word), at no RPM or gear did it become anything resembling smooth (sounded great idling, though). As if the engine was never really happy, even though obviously it had no issue propelling the bike forward at great speeds. Again, it just felt 'off' somehow. The guy at the dealer said this is normal for this type of bike, but I'm not convinced.

In case this sounds overly negative: I'm really just curious. I had great fun, and it's definitely a contender for my first bike purchase (not sure if that's a great idea though...). Still I have a few others on my list to rent and try out.

Last edited by Bootrear; 09-21-2016 at 04:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 02:46 PM

clutch is probably down to it being a hydraulic clutch now, they never have the feel of a cable, my 910 clutch was like that but the dragster clutch is a peach.

gearbox, how many kms on bike? it may just need a bit of loosening up, if i ride another bike i always notice things like the gearbox but each bike is different and you adjust to it.

rear brake not sure on that as i hardly use the back, i only use it if i need to brush off a little bit of speed, most back brakes are useless, but youcan adjust lever.

the engine sound is normal for a mv they do have there own individual sound, love the intake sound on the mv.

be interested to hear what you actually liked about the bike?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

The bike had about 10 K on the odo.

You're right - each bike has its own feeling, but as an inexperienced rider I'm just trying to figure out what part of my experiences are just me being a noob, what part is me being unfamiliar with this specific make and model, what part is the bike being a thrown around rental bike, and what part is just how that make and model is.

As for what I actually liked about it, for starters, it looks spectacular. The shop had an even more magnificent Dragster, but unfortunately that was sold last week. (On that subject, I can't seem to find any real info on what the difference is driving-wise between the Brutale and the Dragster 800 ?). Aside from the Harley Davidson Night Rod Special (yeah...), these naked MVs are the only bikes that have ever made me go "wow".

Of course the ride itself was epic. Very torque-y. Smiles all the way, didn't want to step off. I'd say it was fast, but really all I can say is that it is significantly faster than my skills allow me to test at this point

And the view... the bike is almost absent from view, giving that flying feeling. Love that.

As a taller driver, the other bikes I've ridden have all given me leg cramps within an hour or so. It took 5 hours on the Brutale due to somehow having more legroom while not actually being any bigger.

I'm not sure how or why, but my thought the MT09 looked much better...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 07:13 PM
Established Member

This is a good story bootrear..glad you got to ride the mv, I also got hooked watching the different riders testing the dragster rr on youtube video's, I didn't even have to test ride one, I just bought it..lol!..I seem to put a fair amount of pressure on the rear brake myself to get a stopping feeling, I think that's better than having it skid everytime you try to use it, it may be the feeling of the "anti-lock" brake system..I started using the rear brake when making slow stops because the front brakes do grab a little at real slow speeds, I know this, because I smashed my nuts into the dragster gas tank the first time I rode it using only the front brake, it was a bad one too!..the engine sound is fun, it sounds way better than a Honda or a Yamaha yz, especially the RR version, it's super "raspy" and really gets with the program, bring up the r.p.m. and it will get your attention very quickly, it flies!..I haven't test rode any other motorcycles so I cant compare the mt-09 but, as far as appeal and looks go the mv agusta has no competition..second to none, if you were to buy one then get used to the "gawkers" and the "rubber neckers" because it will be at every stop you make..I like it, it's like driving around in a Ferrari..p.s. I find the clutch to be very user friendly, my Yamaha v-max had a hydraulic clutch so I thought the dragster would be to stiff for me but, I find it super easy to use all day..hope you buy one..

If your phone isn't ringing..it's probably me!...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootrear View Post
I'm a new driver (mid 30s), my experience being limited to getting my license (100-ish hours supervised driving on a Honda CBF600) and renting a Yamaha MT-09 a few weeks ago.

A few weeks ago I made the mistake of visiting a dealer that sells MV's; after one look I just had to ride one. Yesterday, the weather finally permitted driving around all day, so I rented a 2016 Brutale 800 and drove it around the area for about 6 hours straight.

I was definitely amused by the bike. In normal mode it was very manageable even for a noob like me. My first experience quickshifting too, what a hoot!

But I have some questions/comments. It's probably just my noobishness, unfortunately I don't have any riding friends (yet?), so I have no one else to ask.

--- The clutch. The grab point for the clutch was difficult to hold (compared to the MT-09, and the CBF600 I was trained on). Though I never let it stall, it just felt a bit 'off' to me. I felt (at very low speeds) I was dicking around with the clutch more than on the other bikes.

--- Neutral. It happened half a dozen times that I would go from 1 to 2 or the reverse, and it ended up in neutral instead. This while the display would happily show me 1 or 2 until revving it a bit, and then it would suddenly jump to 0 instead. Is that a case of not shifting forcefully enough?

--- Rear brake. To me it felt like you need to push down on the lever pretty far for _any_ braking to be applied. A bit difficult to control exactly on the first day. Is this structural, or a case of brakes that are far gone? This is not necessarily a bad thing, as I'm fairly tall with shoe size ginormous, so due to my leg/foot angle it was difficult to not regularly be breaking accidentally on the other bikes which had very sensitive rear brakes.

--- Engine sound. On the youtube videos it seems the B3 800 has a fairly smooth tune when accelerating. The one I drove however sounded raw and ratchety (for lack of a better word), at no RPM or gear did it become anything resembling smooth (sounded great idling, though). As if the engine was never really happy, even though obviously it had no issue propelling the bike forward at great speeds. Again, it just felt 'off' somehow. The guy at the dealer said this is normal for this type of bike, but I'm not convinced.

In case this sounds overly negative: I'm really just curious. I had great fun, and it's definitely a contender for my first bike purchase (not sure if that's a great idea though...). Still I have a few others on my list to rent and try out.
1) Clutch - Could be the hydraulic clutch
2) Neutral - I have a decent amount of false neutrals during my break-in period. I was shortshifting a bit and not really putting too much pressure on the shifter. Transmission definitely needs to break in a bit. Mine is perfect now.
3) Rear Brake - The rear brake is pretty useless. It also felt like it needed some breaking in but don't expect too much from it. I'll use it to come to a coasting stop at a light or stop sign.
4) Engine Sound - you're likely hearing the induction noise. Most videos don't pick that up. It's incredibly unique and probably my favorite part of my bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode