Highway travels on the dragster rr - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Highway travels on the dragster rr

Made my second highway travel journey on my dragster rr today, I went to sacramento ca. 3 weeks ago and this morning I headed out to Fremont ca. for another table tennis tournament. there were many thoughts going through my head when this thing is buzzing down the freeways..#1 I caught myself day dreaming about being on a tourismo, I need the storage space and a ride that does not rattle my teeth loose..Im fine bouncing down the road at 70-75 m.p.h. but theres a few times when it does not feel safe, the Altamont is a rough bouncy section of highway 580 and the dragster does not handle very well with the stiff suspension and short wheelbase, I was aware of this when I bought it, but you have to experience it yourself, other than youtube video's..when I get to the city I start to grin again, the engine rumbles at the stop lights and it hauls ass on takeoff's and it gets a lot of looks. A couple of days ago I was behind a line of cars waiting for the train to pass and the two dudes in front of me got out of there car and was asking me what brand of motorcycle it was, I get a lot of compliments...BUT..I would like to be able to get to these tournaments in one piece and cruising down the highways around 80-85 m.p.h. being 57 years old I think a sport tourer will be in the future...but not for a while...

If your phone isn't ringing..it's probably me!...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by masterspin; 09-18-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 09:27 PM

New Site Garage
The suspension is adjustable mate.
Mutt1979 and Mutt1979 like this.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Yea, but I don't think there's enough adjustment to make up for it being a sport bike. I know you cant have the best of both worlds, I like it a lot and to be honest I don't spend the majority of my riding on the freeways. but when I go to play in a tournament it takes a little bit of energy out of me just getting there. my 1987 v-max trucked down the freeways like a boss! 80-100 m.p.h. was good for long distance. the dragster rr is light and the short w.b. adds to the fire. It could use a taller gear, I feel it buzzing pretty good when I'm cruising at 80..Im going to soften the preload on the rear shock and see if that helps, I don't road race I just cruse and have fun. this bike has not seen 100 m.p.h. yet..lol!..it's a good thing I didn't have this bike when I was younger, pretty shure it's a fair amount quicker than my v-max was.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 12:27 PM

I've ridden the Alta pass several times on the dragster. The key is not to hit the potholes and crappy road bits. Luggage can be added to your dragster and the suspension can be adjusted. Sit on the bike and try not to put input into bars.

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

The main reason I need storage is when I get to a tournament, I'm stuck with lugging my riding clothing (jacket)..helmet..riding shoes..etc. around a venue, leave it in one spot, and it may not be there when you get back..I use a back pack for my tournament gear and bring a duffel type bag for my travel gear that I have to lug around for the day. not complaining, but I would rather be able to lock it in the hard bags and leave it on the motorcycle..It was hard to avoid all the pot holes and pavement cracks because I'm riding early in the morning and it's still dark outside. Im trying to keep with the traffic speeds 70-80 m.p.h. it wasn't as bad comeing home in the daylight..and thanks for the tip, because I think I am giving the "kung-fu" grip on the handle bars. I feel like I'm going to lose control at times with the cars flying around me while I'm trying to dodge the cracks and pavement shifts..I caught myself going 60-65 a couple of times because of the rough bouncy ride...I will soften the chassis, it has to help a little..I dont have any plans to sell it though, it's to much fun to ride on back roads and cruising around town.. when I retire, (4 years) I plan on traveling to out of state tournaments, a lot of that will be freeway riding, I am looking at the motus for that..

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 04:26 PM

Good luck with the tournaments. Sadly there is no hard luggage option for Dragsters that I know of.

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 02:09 PM

Dragster is not the bike for luggage options or touring. The suspension bit can be adjusted. My B3 800 was incredibly harsh to the point it would become unsettled in bumpy turns. I got it adjusted and have found no problems with it absorbing the road. It's still stiff (something you won't be able to change) but it's perfectly comfortable over rough bits. Also try and squeeze the tank with your legs as much as possible and lessesn the pressure on the bars. Makes a huge difference. It is quite easy to become tired and plop all your weight onto the bars.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 06:35 PM

New Site Garage
Sounds like your research was not inline with your needs.
Maybe a Miata?

***Garage***
2016 BMW S1000RR Premium
2015 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR CORSA
2006 Harley Davidson V-Rod Street Rod
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 11:25 PM

Touring on the Dragster is awesome just stay off long stretches of highway

If you have to use them then you have to accept that you can't go fast for sustained lengths of time on this bike and expect to arrive fresh !

If you have to use a rucksack get a Kreiga as they are superbly comfortable

Good luck with the tournaments and be happy you're not a pro surfer

“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks for the advice guys!..I did go into this purchase a little quick, I didn't think it could possibly be that bad on freeways, but it is..lol! I'm going to ride it like it's a gold wing because it's what I got. I'm already watching video's of the turismo and that's what I need, but..the dragster is to fun and looks insane..hauls ass..and it's to late to have buyers remorse, I got what I got and couldn't be happier..except when it wont start, but that's getting fixed this week under warranty...when I start traveling further away I might have to think about trading it in or selling it. but not if I have to take a big money loss, I will wait and see what it is worh $$$..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode