Headlight screws locked! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Headlight screws locked!

Hi anyone here has encountered loose threading on the sides of the headlights?

Well my headlights are basically stucked! i am unable to take off my headlights due to the design flaw from mv!!

Turning it clockwise or anti clockwise does not work! Basically the screw from the outside and the nut from inside the headlight has already rounded the plastics which are inside the headlight which makes it impossible to take off! can anyone here help me on this? has anyone faced a similar problem? is there any solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 06:21 AM

Thread revive!

I have the same problem on my 2015 dragster.

The left hand side bolt on mine turns from inside of the headlight and cannot unscrew it. Right side is OK.

Any tips on how to unscrew the bolt?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 10:00 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Can you not take the headlight itself out of the housing, thereby providing access to the side mounts of the housing itself?

Should be a screw that secures the headlamp lens, which can then be removed from the housing.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 03:56 AM

Nope, cant take it out of the housing, as therese 2 bolts holding it in place. I can only unscrew 1.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 03:59 AM

As you can see in the photo, from the side I can unscrew, the threaded part on the opposite end is turning inside the headlight along with the bolt
Attached Images

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 05:32 AM
Established Member

Might sound rough, but any chance of using a high speed drill or impact wrench with a hex (allen) head to spin CCW fast? (using the inertia and residual grip of the captive nut)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 07:16 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
...or put some side-load on the capture nut to raise the friction coefficient. (i.e Tilt the headlight housing while trying to unscrew.)

Gapalicious 2020 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from Sept. 23-Sept.27, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklemouse View Post
Might sound rough, but any chance of using a high speed drill or impact wrench with a hex (allen) head to spin CCW fast? (using the inertia and residual grip of the captive nut)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
...or put some side-load on the capture nut to raise the friction coefficient. (i.e Tilt the headlight housing while trying to unscrew.)
Thanks for the tips guys,

I already tried both options with no success.

Even using a drill to spin the bolt in an attempt completely loosen the threaded part inside the headlight didn't work.

Surprisingly the friction taken to turn the bolt before after using the drill was the same.

I can still apply a small amount of pressure to the bolt, before it spins at half circle intervals and clicks into place again from the inside.... just as before

I might try applying glue in the hope the threaded part in the headlight sticks to the plastic. however the clearances to apply the glue are slim
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:54 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDragster View Post
I might try applying glue in the hope the threaded part in the headlight sticks to the plastic. however the clearances to apply the glue are slim
Use a very thin glue such as original Super Glue and just use it in one location around the perimeter.

Gapalicious 2020 at
from Sept. 23-Sept.27, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:56 AM

New Site Garage
I've done this to different bikes but should work the same here. I use to own a shop and the customers wanted the spinning inserts fixed. I've used this trick numerous times over the years in composite and in metal.

Use a very small drill bit and drill into the threaded insert from the side. 90 degrees is best but even a 45 degree angle will work. Take care, go slow and deliberate.

Only drill deep enough to make a small hole in the insert, not into the fastener itself. It is not easy to get a good angle on the insert but can be done.

Insert a steel drift into the hole to hold the insert and remove the fastener.

If you can - remove the insert and reinstall with strong adhesive. I push a small roll pin into the hole and glue it in place.

Once completely cured and dry I run a tap through the insert and add some anti seize to the fastener. Dress the fastener threads if you drilled too far.

I fill the small hole with epoxy and used a sharpie to make it black or silver again.

Customers didn't know how I did it but they were all happy with the end result. Don't worry, you are not the first person to have this issue. Cheers!

D23
CCS/ASRA #19
'Yamaha R1 Superbike
MV F3RC
Zuma 125

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode