buying a "leftover" 2014 Brutale - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
RHB

buying a "leftover" 2014 Brutale

Hello all, I am new here. I do not own an MV yet, but I found a deal on a 2014 brand new in dealer bike. It is a Brutale 800. I have read about the problems with sprags and plastic tanks. We have 10 % ethanol here in the Philippines. I am not too concerned about that issue as think an additive and the fact that there is no winter here and gas will be freshly circulating through he system constantly may help.
The sprag issue is a little bothersome. Are there any hard numbers on how many bikes per 100 are affected, or is a matter of time and it will happen to you? Usually on forums you see only the guys posting who have problems, not the happy campers, so the view can be distorted a little.
My issue is being retired in the Philippines, there are dealers who sell bike but no factory trained service personnel, and zero parts locally available. I am capable of doing my own work if necessary, but would it be advisable to just by an extra sprag gear assembly and have it on hand?
Is there any other good reason to be wary of an MV? Thanks for any advice.
John
oh one more question, does the 2014 model have the latest throttle software upgrade? I think I am euchred if I need to get that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 02:42 AM

New Site Garage
See my sprag poll - it seems to be that if there's an issue then you get it a lot - but many people get no issue.

Re software - any MV dealer can update the s/w to the latest.

Take a chance while you still got the choice.
F3-800 / RVF400. Lancashire, England.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 04:12 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
As you live in the Phillipines, no official dealers available there. It will be impossible to get the latest software installed as you need the compatible tools and the access to the MV data. I doubt any local dealer has it. But i would not be too worried about the throttle software issue . i.m.h.o. it's hugly overhyped.
The throttle response is just a bit different as in other bikes mainly because of the "oversized" thottle bodies.
You will get used to it...or you can tweak it yourself in the custom mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 04:56 AM

New Site Garage
FWIW, my F3 is the smoothest bike I've ever owned.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
RHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCEE View Post
As you live in the Phillipines, no official dealers available there. It will be impossible to get the latest software installed as you need the compatible tools and the access to the MV data. I doubt any local dealer has it. But i would not be too worried about the throttle software issue . i.m.h.o. it's hugly overhyped.
The throttle response is just a bit different as in other bikes mainly because of the "oversized" thottle bodies.
You will get used to it...or you can tweak it yourself in the custom mode.
I'm guessing that too, we have an official importer, but the dealer net work here is nothing like in developed countries, however, there is a possibility to source a dealer in Manila with proper resources. I'd have to research what software interface is needed.

Anyway, you are right, I am not too concerned about it as I am not going to race on the streets here, I long out grew the need to be completely reckless, just selectively reckless. I can always get a stiffer spring if I think it is too sensitive. Thanks.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 10:51 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
... in the Philippines, there are dealers who sell bike but no factory trained service personnel, and zero parts locally available.
As much as I wholeheartedly recommend a '14 800cc based MV as a solid choice, I'd have a hard time getting any brand with that dealer/tech scenario.
Which manufacturers have good dealer/tech support in Philippines? Ducati, BMW, KTM, Aprilia, Triumph...?

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
RHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by italia View Post
As much as I wholeheartedly recommend a '14 800cc based MV as a solid choice, I'd have a hard time getting any brand with that dealer/tech scenario.
Which manufacturers have good dealer/tech support in Philippines? Ducati, BMW, KTM, Aprilia, Triumph...?
Thanks, I agree, and you advice is sound. I could go on for days about how things are different in the Philippines, but I won't bore you with details. I have not determined exactly if there is no distributor support for Agusta here, it is my guess based on some preliminary knowledge. They way it works (in some cases), for example MV Agusta, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, basically all the Piaggio line, KTM (that one is changing),Triumph, Husqvarna, are all imported by one distributor. some like KTM Husqvarna have established dealer networks with all the parts, and test diagnostic equipment. The Exotics, like Aprilia, Moto Guzzi. MV agusta are orphan children in the sense there are no dedicated dealers for there brand, just dealers who sell all of them. Few dealers have factory trained mechanics, not to say there are not experience competent mechanics. I live in Cebu, second largest city, I may as well be on the moon as compared to being in Manila the capital. Web pages give no real info, calling them is futile, I will have to make a tip to Manila to see what the situation is with MV.

To answer your question, Kawasaki, Suzuki, KTM/Husvarna, Yamaha, BMW, Harley, Ducati. all have excellent dealer networks and service centers, not all in Cebu however.
KTM is the up and comer, Ayala Corp. has taken over distribution here, and will actually be manufacturing the 200 Duke/RCS, and Duke 390/RCS here starting in 2017. They have an excellent dealer service network.
I'm not afraid of a bike that needs attention, and more than casual maintenance. I just want to avoid a bike with profound defects and breakdown history that will have me waiting for parts for months.
Just the MV really caught my eye. Thanks for the sound and practical advice, I am well aware of the risk. If I were completely practical, I would just go get a Yamaha MT09, but then it is not an Agusta.

Last edited by RHB; 09-11-2016 at 09:21 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 02:24 PM

Honestly since there is no service support in your area and the frequent issues with MV I'd say your in for more trouble then not.

I live in California and we have year round riding with 10% ethonal in the fuel. My tank has already expanded and the bike has been in the shop over 9 times in the year and a half ownership.

I've excepted that this is the cost of owning a MV but your situation has bad written alll over it.

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 02:31 PM

New Site Garage
...aaaand on the other hand, many owners have no issues at all.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
RHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
Honestly since there is no service support in your area and the frequent issues with MV I'd say your in for more trouble then not.

I live in California and we have year round riding with 10% ethonal in the fuel. My tank has already expanded and the bike has been in the shop over 9 times in the year and a half ownership.

I've excepted that this is the cost of owning a MV but your situation has bad written alll over it.
I talked to the dealer the other day, (I have not visited yet, as it requires a plane ticket), and he could not verify even the year of manufacture. 2013 or 2014. This is the Philippines, largely ignorant dealers who just sell bikes without knowing much about them. For this reason alone, I won't be buying an Agusta here, too much risk. Even if the price is tempting. Thanks for all your advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode