To brutale or not - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

To brutale or not

Big fan of the look and style of the brutale. A dealer nearby (Los Angeles) has one barely used that's been sitting there for months (like more than 4 months). So...

I'm a beginner to new rider (5 years on the saddle, first bike was an aprilia mana and now have a VFR), mostly weekend riding. Did a test ride (short) and liked it, despite a bit of flimsiness felling on the highway.

Questions:

Any danger of tank slapping on highways or high speeds for a semi-newbie like me?

Reliability - is it ok, most issues fixed (this one has less than 1,000 miles).

Any other tips?

Side note: Option 2 is a street tripple, the sensible choice, just not as pretty, and I'm tired of ugly after riding the VFR for 3 years (great bike but... stupid vanity. Just want to make sure it's a bike I can enjoy and improve my riding abilities on.

Thanks! Cheers!

PPS: Option3 would be a hyperstrada or a tuono, but let's face it, the tuono has more power than I need and the hyper is not a true naked... Although it was immense fun on a test ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2016, 07:54 PM

Do a GOOGLE search for MV Agusta reliability. There are a lot of people very unhappy with it. I've had more issues in the last year with my Rivale than I've had in the previous 20 years with other bikes.

Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:58 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
But he is only one person and there are many who have no problems. Owners who do not have problems typically do not post much about that on the Internet while those with problems tend to post a lot.

First, you will not experience "tank slappers" on the highway on a MV. Possibly one of the best handling bikes you can buy. Period.

Second: MVs are beautiful bikes and you won't see yourself everywhere you ride.

Third: There are more than a few of us who will tell you their MV is very reliable, and also easy to work on (can't say that about ANY modern Honda, and most other current Japanese bikes).

If you like the way it looks and like the dealer you are working with then I would counsel you to buy it. I don't think you will regret it.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
The Following User Says Thank You to esq'z me For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 10:59 AM
Established Member

Love/hate relationship from me personally, I've had some downfalls with a few minor hiccups on reliability in comparison to my triumph (yes i said that :-)) but there is something special about this MV triple motor that outweighs any negatives.

eaq'z me is correct, MV is an unmistakable brand ... anywhere you go

if you have a good relationship with the dealer and think the bike is a good fit (can you test ride it?) , then go for it!

2014 Brutale 800
eas, non-abs
Old 05-09-2016, 12:33 PM

New Site Garage
Mine never missed a beat, only the gear position sensor early on which was swapped out under warranty for a revised item, but then that only happened on the early 2012-2013 bikes. Other than that it was fab

My 3 pieces of advice:

Keep it hooked up to the charger when your not using it (if you can).

Get the suspension set up to your riding style/weight etc, it's well worth doing.

Ride it like you stole it.

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:17 PM

Ummmm... There are plenty of people on here who think they need a steering damper. Personally I don't feel I need one. Tank slappers are often caused by not enough rebound damping and the brutale fork is a bit lacking there. Mine is fine because I've set the rebound on the fork pretty high. It can get a little bit flighty but its a light powerful bike with a short wheelbase and a throttle that you love to twist. I don't find it dangerous.
Plenty of people have had reliability issues. I've had a few bits replaced under warranty.
The flipside is that the brutale is pretty much one of the the sexiest most exciting bikes you can buy. If you want something that's pure fun just buy it. If you need an everyday commuter that you absolutely depend on you might want think twice. Or you might say what the hell I'm having it. That's what I did. In fact I bought mine without riding it. I was right.....
Old 05-09-2016, 02:34 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Second: MVs are beautiful bikes and you won't see yourself everywhere you ride.

Third: There are more than a few of us who will tell you their MV is very reliable, and also easy to work on (can't say that about ANY modern Honda, and most other current Japanese bikes).

If you like the way it looks and like the dealer you are working with then I would counsel you to buy it. I don't think you will regret it.
This^^
Sexy exclusiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
The flipside is that the brutale is pretty much one of the the sexiest most exciting bikes you can buy. If you want something that's pure fun just buy it. If you need an everyday commuter that you absolutely depend on you might want think twice. Or you might say what the hell I'm having it. That's what I did. In fact I bought mine without riding it. I was right.....
And this^^
I'm about 600 miles in and couldn't be happier with my choice.
I had only sat on MVs in the past. Had never ridden one before I purchased my Brute.

***Garage***
2018 Yamaha YZ250FX
2016 BMW S1000RR Premium
2015 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR Corsa
Old 05-11-2016, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Just the amount of plusses I needed to take the plunge. A tad concerned about the chapter 11 (or italian version of it) and troubles of the mothership, but hoping for the best.

Also, quick question, one bike has 700 miles on it, another 2700. Any major service near 3000 miles? I'm assuming the 700 miles is a demo that is already past break-in and first service. They are both 2014, 1k difference in price between the 2. Leaning towards the newest.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:11 PM

New Site Garage
I bought mine right smack in the middle of this shutdown mess. It obviously did not deter me in the least to spend big coin on my Corsa edition.

***Garage***
2018 Yamaha YZ250FX
2016 BMW S1000RR Premium
2015 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR Corsa
Old 05-13-2016, 11:18 AM

Service at 3700 miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in