Just grabbed a Brutale 800 RR - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Just grabbed a Brutale 800 RR

I've had my eye on an 800 dragster forever but balked at the 18k door price. I had the opportunity to purchase a basically brand new 2015 (63mi) 800 rr for a little less then 10k and I'm pretty excited.

Wanted to say hi to the forum, maybe get your opinions if it was an OK deal. I'm pretty concerned about the break in of such a young motor so I'm keeping it under 7k rpm and keeping off the highway. Any tips in this area? Should I be using the quickshifter or using the clutch ect. I assume first service is at 600mi.

I've read about some issues. The tank thing seems to effect all Europeans with plastic tanks (have a monster 696) so I'll just hope it doesn't happen. I keep reading about a "Sprag clutch" issue that I'd like to know more about, I don't even know what that is.

Overall first impressions I have are pretty positive. It sits even straighter then my 696 which I love, really comfortable. Suspension seems a bit bouncy, but I might have the dealer check into that at 600 because I'm 6'3 230 I assume some set up might be required. I haven't tried to tuck into it yet because I'm still in breakin and I don't want to mark up the really nice tank. Less ball squishy then the monster or 848.

I'm pretty hooked on Ducati twins with the low rumble and the torque. Any suggestions on exhaust kits to get the sound sorted out? I like the smoother then a twin but more rumble then a quad triple just want to get it a little deeper/louder and clean up the plumbing on the bottom of the bike. The stock triple exhaust gets a lot of comments however.

Other then that it's tail chop, grips, maybe mirrors but I hate the view from Bar ends (have em on the 696.) Looking forward to chatting with you guys thanks in advance for your help and know how. Sorry to go on so long but I'm trying to upload pics from my phone and I keep getting an uploading error, I'll work on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 07:41 PM

welcome

even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 03:36 AM

Good choice mate!

Firstly, the good news. The sprag issue was resolved a while ago (service notice was issued to all dealers) with a new design sprag - this should be fitted to your RR model (breakpoint was before the RR's started production). I did some research before committing on my purchase - also a B3 800rr.

Since the RR has three injectors per cylinder and updated mvics 2.0 system the whole engine mapping / throttle lag issues all the journo's complained about previous models has been resolved. Wonderfully smooth motor now.

I was told to keep below 7500 rpm for first 1000km and to vary the engine rpm - ie not sit at constant revs but to vary.

I suggest you set the basic shock pre-loads for your weight - this made some massive improvements to the ride quality - very hard at first - set it after first service (1000km).

Hope you enjoy your ride as much as I do mine

Faster and Faster untill the fear of death subsides.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 03:52 AM

New Site Garage
Welcome and good choice. Seems also like a great deal.
For the break in: just go for it, let the engine work and avoid maybe for a little while the highest rpm.

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 09:46 AM

New Site Garage
Welcome.

For exhaust options, the ones I considered were QD, FM and the Bodis I ended up with...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGO...FeRbI8mPz-qr7g

Though, no doubt you will have read about many others on this thread... http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69938

F4RR 2016

Brutale 800 Italia
KTM RC8 1190
Moto Guzzi 1100i Sport
Honda Firestorm
Yamaha Thundercat
Yamaha FZR1000 EXUP
Kawasaki GPX750R
The list only gets worse....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:22 PM

Congrats on the purchase speedhabit!! Does sound like you got a killer deal on a killer bike!!

Have had mine about 6 months now and I am still grining from ear to ear every time I ride her. Wish I could say the same about my wife - oh shoot did I type that out loud...............

Enjoy the ride!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only those who dare truly live
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, vee, what did you think of the fm projects pipe? It seems like a very clean underside compared to the qd, how did it compare to the bodis? Love the carbon cover and the square tips. Best part is how short it is, ending before the rear tire.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 07:12 PM

I went with the VFR/Alkadesign by Fresco Exhaust.

Love the look and the sound is sweet!! Comes with removable baffles for different tastes. I removed them ALL - I like it loud, especially when cutting traffic.

Truly a great exhaust and very very well made!
Attached Images

Only those who dare truly live
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 07:26 PM

No need to run the engine in. Just ride it normally, same as what Maximum Velocity said above.

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 12:52 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken7kids View Post
Congrats on the purchase speedhabit!! Does sound like you got a killer deal on a killer bike!!

Have had mine about 6 months now and I am still grining from ear to ear every time I ride her. Wish I could say the same about my wife - oh shoot did I type that out loud...............

Enjoy the ride!!!!
Why? Is she not grinning??

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode