MVAgusta.net - View Single Post - crash - 9 mos later. post-traumatic stress?
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 01:06 PM
cooper3309

I was involved in a horrible crash in 2004. Long story short, I low sided my bike under a pick up that pulled out in front of me to avoid broad siding him. The fella driving the pick up was a wanted man and had now intentions of hanging around to help fill out the police report. He immediately tried driving away while I was under the truck along with my bike and ran me over with his back tires. He couldn't drive off because the bike was there so he threw it in reverse and did the unthinkable. This guy panicked and ran me over with his rear tires a total of three times. He was driving a 3/4 ton Ford truck.

Witnesses finally came to my rescue to get him stopped.

You'll now find him in prison looking for parole. We tried him for attempted murder. The drug charges he was running from didn't help his case at all.

17 days in coma. ALL of my ribs were broken. Humerus bone broken and protruding through the top of my shoulder. Left lung collapsed. Spleen destroyed. Major brain trauma (from my helmet breaking and falling off from the sudden impact) Bleeding ulcers on the brain.

After I woke from the coma the docs put my shoulder back together with the help on some titanium A rod through my humerus, two plates and 37 screws. My lung was able to be inflated. Ribs healed up fine. My head was the biggest concern. The docs weren't sure just what extent of damage had been done. I spent a week in Omaha Neb at a wonderful place called Quality Living. They specialize in head trauma and rehabilitation. After a week I was given a clean bill of health and returned home to rehab my shoulder (which was now frozen) and try to go back to work. My rehab doc was very intense and after a week and a half I was back to work with out restrictions.

I bought my Ducati the following week and rode it the same day I bought it. First ever ride since that terrible day. Was I scared ? Oh ya.

But I'd been on two wheels since I was 7. I wasn't ready to give up. On myself or anything else. It's taken some time to trust the others I share the road with, but it has made me a more defensive rider. A little more careful.

Get back on the horse. It may buck you off again but to me... it's worth the pain I suffered. It's been a life long passion, and I'm not ready to end my life.

My medical bills set me back $375,000. He didn't have insurance. It was worth EVERY penny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take off your pants and jacket

01 750S W/1000R engine
01 Ducati 748 W/853 kit
03 Yamaha R1 (SOLD)
01 Kawasaki KX 125
88 Yamaha YSR 50
01 Yamaha R6
03 Suzuki DRZ pitbike
1982 Honda 110 atc
Yamaha PW50
1978 Honda 90 atc
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2008 Yamaha Raptor 660
1975 Kawasaki G5 100

Last edited by cooper3309; 03-05-2012 at 01:08 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome