MV Agusta Forum banner

6 months without my 1078

5K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Lucky13 
#1 ·
long story short... My 2009 1078 has been away from me about 6 months this year. When I say away ... I mean at the dealer being diagnosed.. torn apart.... waiting on parts.. waiting on Italy.. I have had ongoing electrical issues with less than 3000 miles on her. I have been stranded 3 times and towed once. I will post more later but MV Agusta North America is avoiding all my phone calls and refuses to do anything for me. I am demanding my bike be purchased back or replaced. This is total BS !! I am proceeding with legal action and need to send a certified letter to MV in Italy. I love MV and stand behind the brand but I am fed up with the warranty dept and all the Execs at MV in the states. You have done nothing to tell me you care about the owners in the United States. If this was a Triumph or Ducati I would have a new bike sitting in my garage right now. Once again I apologize to all the faithful MV owners but my Brutale is a "lemon".. give me one that works Rob at MV North America... and I will be your biggest fan... do nothing an I will have attorneys in Florida, Minnesota, Kansas and Pennsylvania out to get me what I deserve... which is a new Brutale or my money back.

#3 ·
keep us informed,what a load of crap,mv agusta I am italian,and what you guys need is some direction,replace your board,get some people in there with balls who can make the correct decisions.6 months on a bike problem ,what a joke.Hope you get this sorted straight away.
regards eddy

#6 ·
How To Proceed

That sucks. However, I am happy to hear you are still an MV faithful. This is what I recommend.

1) Read the Lemon Law and understand how it applies.
2) Document everything chronologically. This includes emails, phone calls and the names of anyone you spoke with.
3) Send all correspondences via certified mail and include a copy for your local dealer and US MV HQ.
4) Keep emotion out.
5) If the bike was still under the original manufacturer warranty, have it extended the exact amount of time the bike was not available to you.
6) Be clear in what you want.

Keep us in the loop.

#7 ·
The Lemon Law does not apply to motorcycles. I hate to tell you that, but it's true. I already talked to an attorney about a prior experience.

A motorcycle falls into the catagory of "recreational vehicle". BS if you ask me, but that's the way it's currently written.

Pretty sad when you think abouit it. A lot of these exotics are upwards of $20-30K and you're basically stuck with it if it's a lemon.

I'm sure MV USA knows this. And I'm sure they will fix your bike one day. It goes back to the ol' Italian saying "Finire Domani".

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hate to say the USA is MV's least worries, but when you only sell 150-200 bikes/year in a country with a population of 330 million, I guess you can kind of see it from their perspective.

I would personally try a different shop. Good luck.

#9 ·
Lemon Law

I did a little research on the Lemon Law and found the following:

"Consumers everywhere are protected by the Federal Lemon Law which applies to all consumer products, including automoblile, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, boats, and all other ordinary consumer products including computers and household appliances."

However, this depends on which state you live in. Time to do some research on your end.

#8 ·
Pretty good rant. I feel your pain.

Maybe we can help you get the problems sorted out. Over the 6 month period, what has the dealer told you the problem was? Which parts have they replaced? Which parts are they waiting for Italy to send you?

When your bike left you stranded 3 times, what were the symptoms?

These bikes are pretty well built. It is unlikely many different things have gone wrong at different times.

Which dealer is the bike at?

If this has all been discussed in other threads, forgive me. Maybe you could sum it up here so we don't have to go searching.

#10 ·
Thanks for the sympathy and advice my friends… I think I may have been a few beers in when I wrote this but I believe my true feelings were expressed. You are correct about the lemon laws on motorcycles… trust me I have become an expert! There are laws that still protect consumers such as The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637). (thanks to my attorney friends in Minnesota) Thanks for the points LiquidWhy.. I will follow this up. It’s amazing we don’t have a Lemon Law in Florida because we have one for everything else!! LOL!
Euro Cycles Tampa Bay currently has my bike and is doing their best to get it going again. I have nothing bad to say about these fellas… They have been in my corner and are trouble-shooting things the best they know how. They are doing far more for my mental health than MV North America who is probably in communication with them but not me.
As far as my issues, they’re all stemming from electrical. My list grows- Fuses were blowing… SPU replaced.. battery replaced (twice) and now another SPU I think and still not running correctly.

#13 ·
Perhaps the wiring harness is at fault. Very rare, but it is possible....and very hard to diagnose.

The poor techs are probably working on some commission scheme. They will NEVER get paid for the hours they spend on a difficult diagnosis, especially under warranty. So they tend to work on it a bit, then do something that makes them money, only getting back to it when there is no money to be made elsewhere. Makes for a long drawn out process.

Lemon Laws vary from state to state. Go here: http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was really written with appliances in mind. Very hard to use that one on a motor vehicle case in a state that does not otherwise have a lemon law for your motor vehicle type.

Good luck. I sympathize with you. Some good advice from the other guys on the documentation though; and like CAG, I would like to see your chronology.

#14 ·
I was wondering whose 1078 that might be over at Euro Cycles, whether or not it belonged to a fellow forum member. Every time I've seen it, it's been sitting outside with the seat off. I hate to see it like that but, I'm sure those guys are doing their best. Hopefully it all works out for you & you get her back in proper running order soon. On a positive note, at least we have a pretty much all year long riding season here:)

Cheers,
Glenn

#15 ·
lemon law

THAT REALLY SUCKS!!! JUST GOES TO SHOW U HOW MUCH M V CARES ABOUT THEIR CUCTOMERS. ONCE THEY MAKE A SALE THEY DONT KNOW U ANY MORE. RICH BASTEREDS, AND THEY ARE ALL LAUGHING. IF NOT Y DONT THEY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT? LOW LIFE, DIRT BAG PEOPLE. :smoking: 6 MONTHS, THAT IS STUPID. IF THEY CAN'T DO BETTER THEN THAT , THEY SHOULD SHUT DOWN. O I ALMOST FORGOT IT IS ALL ABOUT MONEY, ISN'T THAT RIGHT RICH PEOPLE. :smoking:

#16 · (Edited)
6 months? Holy crap... I would have already been 5 months into the law suit by now. I know MV has had a fair amount of management/ownership issues over the past two or three years but at some point you have to get their attention. A nice letter from a civil court demanding that you be reimbursed $22,000 for the bike, $15,000 for you legal fees and $66,000 by way of triple damages for trying to circumvent their contractual responsibility, should at least get someone in Italy to send you a good apology (but it probably won't). It's a sad way to have to deal with people but while your bike is sitting in their shop it looses more and more value, just because the newer models are being produced. It's not fair and you shouldn't be the one who suffers.

I have had my own little issues with MV (see Waranty Thread problem). I am not sure if my dealer went to bat for me or not but MVs response was basically "because the owner (me) modified the kick stand after it had broken, we bare no responsibility for it breaking." I have not thoroughly research the law as it applies here but I think the US court of appeals has said "a user modification must "cause" the failure for a manufacturer to be able to dismiss it obligations under vehicle warranty."

Now, I think they are offering me 20% off parts and labor. I am going to let them fix the bike and I'll pay their fee but I have every intention of sending them a certified letter from the local District Civil Court (honestly I think I have to start in small claims court, which makes it cheaper for me and more difficult for them) requesting they reimburse me for the remainder of my fees, plus the filing fees and associated attorney fees as a result of their unwillingness to honor their obligations. I know it's kinda overkill on a $300 oil pan, but I've got the time and the money... and I don't like getting fucked in the tail pipe just because somebody thinks they can.

#18 · (Edited)
Problem ? What problem ?

Somebody somewhere needs to wake up one morning with a Brutale Engine in his bed ..:stickpoke

So, what is the electrical problem .???... I'll admit I am not an auto electrician by any stretch but I reckon I could work it out ....and some of the forum members here alot quicker than me by virtue of their skill level.

What I mean is, that is what they do at the dealers isn't it.?.all day every day for years and years ...and then by dint of training and experience and repetition they get good at it don't they..or am I missing something here ?

I work in the packaging Industry and when the customer calls I drop my chips and serve them like a slave..That's how I make a living. I don't give the client my problems. I never ever use the word "busy" ..I am never too busy...and it doesn't matter one iota as to the size of the customer..It's a standard I set my self to look after the customer whether they are a multi national or a fella working out of his garage...

What is wrong with these people when they think it is ok to ignore a customer for six months..??

Rant over, : )

So, what are the electrical problem ?

joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.