F3 Fueling and Throttle Response Solution - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

F3 Fueling and Throttle Response Solution

My friend took delivery of the stunning new F3 Oro, allegedly one of 11 brought into the US. We were doing careful break in miles keeping it under 7k but in one case, trying to pass a car, I couldn't crack 7k. It made a nice intake growl but just felt plugged. Next day, we disconnected the cables to the flapper valve in the exhaust (left side, careful to be sure the spring keeps the flapper full open). It ran like a completely different bike! No flat spots anywhere, fueling was perfect. Hey magazine guys, instead of bashing the fueling and throttle response on this bike, get out a wrench, take 10 minutes, then tell us what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 05:16 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutale1 View Post
My friend took delivery of the stunning new F3 Oro, allegedly one of 11 brought into the US. We were doing careful break in miles keeping it under 7k but in one case, trying to pass a car, I couldn't crack 7k. It made a nice intake growl but just felt plugged. Next day, we disconnected the cables to the flapper valve in the exhaust (left side, careful to be sure the spring keeps the flapper full open). It ran like a completely different bike! No flat spots anywhere, fueling was perfect. Hey magazine guys, instead of bashing the fueling and throttle response on this bike, get out a wrench, take 10 minutes, then tell us what you think.
When I did that on my 848 I got a "CEL". There was a position transducer that reported the angle of the valve to the ECU so, when it was disconnected, it generated a check engine light at startup. Any issues on yours?
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 05:19 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf675 View Post
When I did that on my 848 I got a "CEL". There was a position transducer that reported the angle of the valve to the ECU so, when it was disconnected, it generated a check engine light at startup. Any issues on yours?
Do not unplug the servo motor, just disconnect the cable's to the valve, that way the bike thinks it's still operating the valve.
That works on the MV's at least, not sure about those Ducati's

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 05:26 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Do not unplug the servo motor, just disconnect the cable's to the valve, that way the bike thinks it's still operating the valve.
On the Duc it used torque on the motor to "see" the travel limits. We had to make an aluminum bar to put on the valve to hit the stops so it would report the correct limits. Otherwise, we got the cel..
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

No CEL was triggered. You can still see the cables moving with throttle input.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:47 PM

when disconnecting the servo cables what position do you leave the flapper valve, full clockwise or anticlockwise ?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Come on Donsy! ecu's are cleverer than that! the Aprilia one logs that it's disconnected, but only within the ecu, (no warning light) it 'knows' it has been disconnected because the motor travels further stop to stop

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

With the cables disconnected, the spring will act to pull the round pulley counterclockwise to stop against the tab which is the full open position. Best to take a picture before starting to be sure everything goes back together the same way.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 12:26 AM

New Site Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef4uk View Post
Come on Donsy! ecu's are cleverer than that! the Aprilia one logs that it's disconnected, but only within the ecu, (no warning light) it 'knows' it has been disconnected because the motor travels further stop to stop
Come on Mike! . When it logs it does it affect the power output of the bike? And if it does, is it in a good or bad way?
I know on the Microtec it logs how many times you have used things on the bike,how many times the fans kicked in ....etc. But it does not interfere with the mapping.
What I meant, and this is purely from my limited experiance with the newer MV's, that if you unplug the servo motor a Fault reading come's up, but if you just disconnect the cable's, the ECU "Does not care", if that make's more sence.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Come on Mike! . When it logs it does it affect the power output of the bike? And if it does, is it in a good or bad way?
I know on the Microtec it logs how many times you have used things on the bike,how many times the fans kicked in ....etc. But it does not interfere with the mapping.
What I meant, and this is purely from my limited experiance with the newer MV's, that if you unplug the servo motor a Fault reading come's up, but if you just disconnect the cable's, the ECU "Does not care", if that make's more sence.
Ecu's log lots of stuff just to tell the dealer waht you have been up to!

Aprilia logs lambda sensor disconected, exhaust valve motor over range etc but does not alter performance or throw a fault light up.

If you disconnect the speedo on a F41000RR it throws an alarm up, if you do not accept the alarm the bike will not open the exhaust valve leaving you with 4500rpm max, but if you do accept the alarm the bike goes like stink!! it also loses the 'dip' or very extreme power off/on that magazines have reported

So i'm guessing that the F4 'RR' has a TC fault/issue with the extra power it has over the std bike?

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode