f3 down, it shames me to say - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

f3 down, it shames me to say

Out of the ordeal, I am to give some bad news and some good news... the bad news is last weekend in Oregon at a track day my shiny new f3 took a spill. The good news is, she crashes very well.

On september 4th i was scheduled for surgery, so i wanted to get one crack at running the f3 on the track this year before having to put her away in the garage for the winter. I was awaiting the tool for the rear tire nut and the rear stand as well in the mail. This is the reasoning behind running the OEM rosso corso tire. I did not like the idea but i figured i would just take it easy get through the day unscathed and pack the bike in for the winter. With 25 to 30 track days aboard the triumph 675 without a spill i figured what could go wrong. Murphy had bigger plans for me, as running it up through second gear coming out of a right hander on the throttle the rear tire shot sideways without warning and the next thing i know, It had been a successful launch. Another factor contributing to this high side was the fact i was under the impression that the traction control was on. Lesson learned, once it has been turned off.. It is "OFF!" for good it does not reset itself no matter what map you are running. All in all a bit of a bad day. I just can't believe how little warning i was offered.

I received surgery for a fracture in my knee earlier this week, and have a AC separation in my should along with countless other bumps and bruises. All my gear held up well.

The best part of it though is the bike looks awesome. There is no major damage. The passenger peg, left rear-set and left clip on took the brunt of the incident. there is damage to the mirror, left plastics upper and lower, upper cowel has a scrape and the two nuts from the axles. Engine was untouched as well as, fuel tank, swing-arm, frame and forks. I was lucky and the bike did not flip after tossing me, she landed on her left side and slid off the track.

I will be in the market for parts if anyone happens to have parts kicking around from making a track bike lol. The biggest hindrance atm is the lack of parts.

My pride is hit, but i thought everyone might like to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Bummer, dude !!! Heal up. I think race plastic and other stuff is available from Europe....one of the forum sponsors????

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 11:23 AM

New Site Garage
Sorry to hear of your spill. Glad for the most part you are OK and the bike can be fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 01:22 PM

Note to all F3 owners!
By factory default settings, the traction control is only ON in the rain mode. In the Normal, Sport, or Custom mode, the factory default is with the traction control in OFF. The owners will have to turn on the traction control and set the level themselves. The traction control works independently of the riding modes (except in the Rain mode) i.e. if you turn the TC on to level 4. It will be at that level for all modes except for the Rain mode which will always be at the the highest level 8 traction control setting.
If the traction control is enabled, you will have a TC icon apear on the dash.The segments of the circle aurond the "TC" indicate at what level the TC is set.

Catalyst Racing composits is finishing up the racing bodywork for the F3 I gave them and they should have it available in about 1-2 weeks.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

unfortunately i completely understood the workings of the TC, and how to operate.. that was the worst part about the whole thing.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty5 View Post
unfortunately i completely understood the workings of the TC, and how to operate.. that was the worst part about the whole thing.
Bummer about your off. Hope you and bike get back together soon.

I haven't found any chatter on here about riders impressions of the TC yet. Only had my bike a week so I've no idea how it is going to feel. Doubt I will do a track day on the F3 for the first 6 months anyway- I want to enjoy it on the road all pristine and shiny.

Happiness is a means of travel. Not a destination
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 09:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to ondgas
Sorry to see this post bro. Glad your o.k. sounds as though your ride will be fine with a little tlc.out come could have been a lot worse. Keep looking in on the for sale page. A few f3 parts have popped up lately. Set of white plastics new was up a few days ago.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 10:46 PM

Hope you are feeling better. What happened about your original surgery - was it postponed for the crash surgeries?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 11:05 AM

Sorry to hear about your crash, but good to know you are already on the mend. Any chance to assess differences between the Triumph and your F3?
Good luck with your rehab and the September surgery. Spring will be at your doorstep before you know it.

Chuck

10 Ducati MTS 1200s - 05 Ducati 999 - 09 BMW GS 1200 Adventure
53 Moto Morini Turismo - 58 Gilera Rossa Super
Calfee Tetra Pro - IF Crown Jewel
Merlin Cyclocross w/ S&S couplings
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

I will keep checking the for sale page thanks, hopefully like i said people will be making dedicated track bikes. that would be very helpful. I did have to postpone the surgery on the 4th because of the crash surgery. It is fine tho as it was ankle surgery that doesn't quite matter when it is completed.

It is hard to judge the differences between the two bikes because i did not get as much time as needed. the triumph has been a working track bike in its current setup for quite sometime, it is geared down, suspension is properly setup which makes for a world of difference. I think with a little time the f3 has great potential! Its motor is definitely a lot more spunky then that of the triumph, I like it! even though it got me in trouble. Braking on the f3 is better, but my triumph is not fitted with the brembos of that on the r version. I am very excited to get tear into this thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode