Fuel starved when tank below half full in righthanders? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Fuel starved when tank below half full in righthanders?

Curious if anyone else has struck this problem. Running in new F3 today and now 90% run in. I'm gradually increasing my rev range every 100km or so as I do with all my new bikes.

I have the new map. TC turned off. But still what I am experiencing on my local twisty hill is coming out of righthanders, downhill only, I wind on the power to overtake a slow car and almost total loss of power? It's a bit like the TC has cut power but more akin to the moment when your engine dies on an empty tank. Takes about 3 seconds upright before full power is restored. Did it heaps of times today. At first I thought it was when the tank was below half full but to be honest it did do it once with only 90kms done since filled to the brim. Maybe this is a running in issue and will go away but I am a bit concerned.

Quite embarrassing to pull out to pass a car and have the bike splutter, forced to pull back in behind and wait, then get a burst of go juice to let me overtake.

Maybe the fuel intake is on the left side of the tank only?

So has anyone else noticed this please.

Oh and the tail light wasn't working on the shop demo bike I tried last weekend and first day out today on mine and my buddy tells me "your tail light has gone out". Doh, is this just me as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 06:46 AM

The bulb in my rear tail light had popped out of it's holder so it wasn't working and I have had both LH indicator bulbs blow.

As for the fueling issue, I have experianced this at high revs but mine was whilst going in a straight line, I am not sure how much fuel was in the bike when it happened.

I thought it was to do with the traction control as the road was a bit bumpy and mine was on highest setting. I have since tried it again and it still does it. It's at high speed (over 100 mph) and at revs over 10k.

I am in the custom map and I am still on original mapping (no. 43). I am booked in for service and new mapping (no. 47) on the 7th of September.

The dealer tells me it will be much better on the latest mapping. I have to be honest though other than the occaisional high speed hesitation the bike runs superb, I am really happy with the performance.

it goes like a rocket now I have changed the sprockets.

Treat others as you wish to be treated
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 08:04 AM

I have the newest map and do not experience the issue you describe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Established Member

I had a similar issue...we were two up taking an on ramp (RH) ... low fuel quantity... bike sputtered as I dialed on some power (not enough to cause the TC to come on in the #2 position) till I shifted to 3rd at 10K. Was in the normal map though and at fairly high lean angle. US spec original map. Still don't know the rev level of the map. But.. still had fairly low miles on it (150).

Also had another type glitch... this time solo going into a turn... aggressively... Was matching the throttle for the down shifts (blipping the throttle) and the first "blip" was good but the next two did nothing when I twisted the throttle! Disconcerting to say the least! Had more fuel in it for that one though.... and zero lean angle... ???
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 01:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
I would bring this bike back on a trailer to the retailer immediately.
Let them ride, replicate, experience & resolve the problem.

Allow me to put it this way: If you crash this bike because of this fueling or electronic issue I'd anticipate that you'd have very little sympathy from the retailer or MV Agusta New Zealand.

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 02:01 PM

It's the Coriolis effect
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 02:08 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle

Coriolis effect?
Are you saying that left handers would be the problem in the northern hemisphere Joe?

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_castle View Post

Coriolis effect?
Are you saying that left handers would be the problem in the northern hemisphere Joe?
Only on Tuesdays... :-)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 02:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to ondgas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf675 View Post
Only on Tuesdays... :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_castle View Post

Coriolis effect?
At high noon....in the month of august...while on the way to work.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks Guys and love the humour of gotojoe's comment. Might not happen during full moons maybe?

Bike should be in the shop next week for 1st service and I will mention it. If it persists I will ask the shop to look further into it.
Quite right "The Castle' it could easily cause a crash. A rider behind you accelerates up your bum to follow you in an overtake not expecting you to unexpectedly slow mid manoeuvre or you fail to get ahead and pull back in in time before a head on.

It did it in N and S modes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode