3M Ventureshield paint protection film - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

3M Ventureshield paint protection film

Has anyone installed 3M Ventureshield paint protection film on their F3?
In conversation with 3M UK, they are still looking for a F3 to create a template.

All you folks in UK, if anyone is interested, please get in touch with 3M UK on their facebook page and they should be able to set you up with free installation of the film. 3M UK is the only subsidiary of 3M that makes motorcycle templates for 3M worldwide.

It will really help those who are not in UK to be able to get the official template from 3M for the film. I have had it on all my bikes in the past and they are virtually invisible and protect the paint from rocks, chips and other minor scratches. Even after few years down the line if you remove the film, the paint beneath is scratch/swirl free and shiny as new. Definitely a must have for a beautiful bike like the F3.

Currently - '13 Ducati Multistrada (for sale), '09 Daytona (track only)
Previously - '13 F800GS, '13 MV F3, '10 S1000RR, '04 Royal Enfield 500, '97 Yamaha RX135, '90 Yamaha RD350...and many more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankmittal View Post
Has anyone installed 3M Ventureshield paint protection film on their F3?
In conversation with 3M UK, they are still looking for a F3 to create a template.

All you folks in UK, if anyone is interested, please get in touch with 3M UK on their facebook page and they should be able to set you up with free installation of the film. 3M UK is the only subsidiary of 3M that makes motorcycle templates for 3M worldwide.

It will really help those who are not in UK to be able to get the official template from 3M for the film. I have had it on all my bikes in the past and they are virtually invisible and protect the paint from rocks, chips and other minor scratches. Even after few years down the line if you remove the film, the paint beneath is scratch/swirl free and shiny as new. Definitely a must have for a beautiful bike like the F3.
This is going to sound bad, but I bought this stuff for several of my bikes, including my F4. It's not cheap and it's work to get it on so it looks right. One member on one of the forums put right I think, "you buy a bike to ride and enjoy...in the process of enjoying it, it's going to get a scratch or two". After reading that, I never bothered to put the stuff on my bikes. I'm to busy riding.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendulous29 View Post
This is going to sound bad, but I bought this stuff for several of my bikes, including my F4. It's not cheap and it's work to get it on so it looks right. One member on one of the forums put right I think, "you buy a bike to ride and enjoy...in the process of enjoying it, it's going to get a scratch or two". After reading that, I never bothered to put the stuff on my bikes. I'm to busy riding.
I always get it installed by a professional, it is not easy to put it on perfectly. Takes tons of practice and patience. I would say it is an art to put it perfectly and once the job is done well, you can't even see its there.

Previously - '13 F800GS, '13 MV F3, '10 S1000RR, '04 Royal Enfield 500, '97 Yamaha RX135, '90 Yamaha RD350...and many more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 12:59 PM

I disagree. i've tried the 3M material on bikes in a couple of different thicknesses and found issues with it:
1. It's way expensive
2. It doesn't apply well on a multi-curved surface such as found in many places on bikes.
3. After a while the film edges show dirt, obviously moreso on light colors than dark.
My solution is Armor Coat, a two-part, clearcoat finish applied with a spray gun. It's also expensive, but it lasts as shows no edge lines. I've had it on my Ducati for 5 years now and it is holding up well.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz33v4 View Post
I disagree. i've tried the 3M material on bikes in a couple of different thicknesses and found issues with it:
1. It's way expensive
2. It doesn't apply well on a multi-curved surface such as found in many places on bikes.
3. After a while the film edges show dirt, obviously moreso on light colors than dark.
My solution is Armor Coat, a two-part, clearcoat finish applied with a spray gun. It's also expensive, but it lasts as shows no edge lines. I've had it on my Ducati for 5 years now and it is holding up well.
Never had any issues with the Ventureshield film. That is why 3M probably bought Ventureshield and stopped making their original 3M film. I have used the Ventureshield on my cars and bikes, lighter colors as well as black, no issues at all. Doesn't peel, doesn't turn yellow and doesn't show dirt. Will look up Amror coat too.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 03:04 PM

Each person has thier own tastes. I talked to a professional in Bellevue, WA who will make the F3 template and install for $150 US. i plan on havin parts of the front fairing, light and the sides of the tank done. i have it on my Monster S2R and i love the protection it gives. IMHO well worth the $50 and 2 hours to install.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 06:22 PM

Just heard back from Paint Pretection Services here in NZ, sounds like the Ventureshield kits will be available from next week
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, 3M UK confirmed me 2 weeks back that they were in the process of creating the template, but my local installer confirmed that the template is not out yet.
I have now already installed the film after spending hours creating a hand cut template. Couldn't wait longer as I already had 2 small chips on the side fairings.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 PM

I feel your pain! At least you're using the right stuff, i've hand made tank protection out of PVC tape. Works but looks a bit shithouse.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 05:54 AM

Anyone with photos of the Ventureshield on their F3?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode