1st Canadian owners ride report - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

1st Canadian owners ride report

Now I understand why the MCN-UK reporters were so tough on the F3. It is soooo beautiful, so sleek, narrow, light, agile, flick able. It shows so much promise. Just sitting still it begs me to throw a leg over and make silly varoom-varoom sounds. But the anticipation of that promise quickly faded to disappointment when the engine started and I rolled away only to find that the throttle response was not what Iíd expected.

In Normal mode there is a huge approximately 1/8th turn of the throttle before I get any reply from the engine. Itís like when you first replace the throttle cable on an old dirt bike. Thereís so much free play that the twist grip flops around until you adjust it out. But how can us regular folk adjust a preset map on a fly-by-wire system? The low end, under 4000 rpm, is jerky, hard to modulate. Similarly, it surged as I tried to maintain constant speeds through villages or out on the open roads. The most frustrating though was the repeated stalling. Every time I pulled in the clutch itís as if the engine died, only to re fire with a jerk as I released the lever. During the first 40 kilometers, at every stop as I down shifted to 2nd or 1st, it would stall. Blipping the throttle on each down shift kept the engine running until that last pull on the clutch lever as I rolled to a stop when I would discover the exhaust note absent.

WTF??? I had to make a second trip to the dealer to pick up the bike because they wouldnít release it the first time without the map up-grade. There was a screw up with the procedure that required a six-digit code that no one had, or knew anything about.
I thought map # 070SB"46, which is what they supposedly loaded, was the latest and it solved all these issues. Well, Iím here to say, the Normal map SUCKS! If itís better then the first maps I hate to think what those test riders rode.

I tried, I really did but after 40 kilometers I had to take a break and switch from the Normal to the Sport map.
I made a pit stop, had a raspberry ice to cool down and snapped a few pics. See the F3 photo thread.

I fired up the bike, changed the map and proceeded to travel another 60 kilometers. Up hill and down dale, turning around several times to retrace the road Iíd just ridden, I am fortunate to live in an area with exactly the type of roads the manual specifies for a proper break in.

The first thing I noticed was that there was no free play in the twist grip. Each small increment of movement was rewarded with an equal rise in rpm. The second thing was no stalling at stops; well not until I got into the city. For most of the ride the temp stayed one bar below the mid line. But four stoplights into the city and it was a bar above. It was while in the city that it stalled in Sport mode. Again coming to a stop, not pulling away.
At speed it still had a slight hint of surging but nothing like in Normal mode.

I stopped to top up the tank, as I was curious about fuel consumption on this Mollyís maiden outing. Well, 9.992 liters to travel approximately 110 kilometers I guess itís about what youíd expect during break in.

Clouds were moving in so I cut the ride short. When I returned home I couldnít believe how stiff and sore I was. That had to have been the most intense, stressful ride Iíve made in decades. I know Iím out of shape and Molly requires a much more severe upper body position then Iím use to but stillÖ Iíve jumped onto superbikes and wrung their necks before without major pains. It didnít help that several times when the bike stalled I had to scramble to get a foot down to keep from falling over. Being so short and the bike having a seat that does not allow one to slide easily caused a moment or two. This led to several painful muscle cramps. As well, the humidex was in the mid 30ís c., which led to another bikerís worst nightmare.
While stopped at a light perspiration ran down my face and I lifted my visor to wipe my face, hit my magnetic clip on sunglasses which fell onto the road just as the light changed. Another quick dismount while the ass hats behind me pulled around and drove off. Luckily they all missed my glasses but what the hey, like they couldnít wait 30 seconds for me to retrieve my shades?

Anyway, here are a few points I missed or wish to underscore.

Pros:
-Bike sounds amazingly like an old, air-cooled, carbureted, Porsche flat six racer. Especially when short shifting through the gears.
-Handling is great at low speeds with an actual turning radius. This makes it more parking lot, turn around because you missed your turn, friendly. Unlike some other bikes I know, (Ducati).
-Inspires confidence with itís well planted feel whether tight switch backs or flowing esses. Dare I say, laser guided flick ability. At least at the legal road speeds I was doing, (well near Ďnuff to legal).
-Smooth downshifts, even without the clutch, but only when combined with blipping the throttle.

Cons:
-Normal mode SUCKS!!!, Did you read that MV people? IT SUCKS THE BIG ONE!!!
-Both Normal and Sport modes need more work.
-Seat height needs to come down. The manual does say ride height is adjustable but does not state how. The top mount is similar to that on the wifeís M796 and the bottom mounts via linkage. So, hereís to hoping someone comes up with new linkages.

Iím sure Iíve forgotten some things I should have mentioned. Well, if I remember something Iíll be sure to include it with my next report when Iíll try out the other two modes.

the Dreamer
(a.k.a. Dreamin' Stephen)
Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.
2013 675 MV F3 Red Molly
1998 900 SS FE silFEr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:51 PM

I just bought a Panigale. It sucks. What a drag waiting for something and being disappointed. Hope yours gets sorted.

Pants up, don't loot.
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:24 PM

Stephen, Sorry to read you are having issues. I went to the Bellevue MV dealer to see if I could get an F3 sooner from them then where I ordered mine. There was a guy there having major issues with his F3 stalling out in corners and jerky or surging engine issues at 200 miles on the odometer. He left it there for diagnostics and possibly a new ECU. I hope it is not the dame issue for you.

Iamlnace, my friend Angelo bought an 1199 and he said it is taking him a while to get used to it. Have fun, be safe and enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:33 PM

I'm surprised to read you having problems Stephen, especially after my own experience with the bike.

My trip across Sydney in evening traffic I had no problems what so ever. The bike takes a little more clutch slip off the line than similar sized bikes, and seems to be tall geared for road riding (hence why).

But even given that, I was rarely under 4K and found the bike perfectly acceptable in any mode, feet up at 5Km/h pootling in stop start traffic.

I found no difference at all between normal and sport maps until the engine gets up over 8K. At which point sport becomes more angry. Much more angry. Down low there was no difference at all.

Either MV has significant quality control issues and I got a good one (for now), dealers have significant issues with the quality of their PDI, or you buggers can't ride.

'Smooth downshifts, even without the clutch, but only when combined with blipping the throttle.'
Please tell me you wouldn't down shift without the clutch without matching revs?

Maybe it is all because you have a 2013 model, instead of a 2012 like everyone else.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 12:48 AM
Established Member

Hi Stephen sorry to hear about Your problems especially since You waited so long and had so much trouble to get Your F3.
Were in the garage yesterday because of the oil leak. But except of that the bike was great beat out an CBR600 RR Rider on the way. And he stoped at the garage to ask me for a bike change. The RR feels like an 1000cm compared to the MV and he was also full of good comments about the F3.
Had no problems like You wrote. Hope Your will be solved

Last edited by MV29; 07-28-2012 at 06:32 AM.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 02:11 AM
Established Member

Stephen, the problems that youīve described are exactly the same we have had with the older mappings.
Are you sure that the re-mapping was done successfully?
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 04:50 AM

Trepis Toni, I agree. Mine does non of the above described, perhaps the dealer didnt update his mapping properly?

For the record, how do we check the mapping installed?
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove Theory View Post
...a guy there having major issues with his F3 stalling out in corners and jerky or surging engine issues at 200 miles on the odometer.
Well, on the one hand itís some comfort to know Iím not alone with issues. On the other hand, itís so typically me. Murphy must have been a blood relative of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF3_40 View Post
...Either MV has significant quality control issues and I got a good one (for now), dealers have significant issues with the quality of their PDI, or you buggers can't ride.

Please tell me you wouldn't down shift without the clutch without matching revs?

Maybe it is all because you have a 2013 model, instead of a 2012 like everyone else.
Although I have ridden a variety of makes and models with a level of competence I would be the first to point the finger at myself. Getting use to a new seating position, making sure I get my toe on the rear brake rubber proper and not the lever casting are all part of the ďnew bike experienceĒ.

Not to fear, the only way I would, indeed could downshift sans clutch is by matching revs.

And how is it possible that some have model year 2012 and others 2013? The VIN dictates model year. I thought everyone had D as the 10th character in his or her VIN. Who has a C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepis_Toni View Post
Stephen, the problems that youīve described are exactly the same we have had with the older mappings.
Are you sure that the re-mapping was done successfully?
I have only the salesmanís word that the tech loaded the map correctly. Itís possible that both the tech and the manager tested my bike. When we did the walk around it was in Sport mode. If nobody rode the bike in Normal mode than theyíd not have noticed the problems.

the Dreamer
(a.k.a. Dreamin' Stephen)
Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.
2013 675 MV F3 Red Molly
1998 900 SS FE silFEr

post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 10:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to ondgas
Take it back and watch the tech install or reinstall th software. I mean sit down beside him when he plugs in and watch the whole process.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Established Member

I ride mostly in normal and have no problem since the new mapping was installed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode