Getting ready for new bits - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Getting ready for new bits

So it's raining outside and I was bored so I decided to start stripping some bits off the bike.

I am replacing the standard air filter with WPR's race filters, fitting 520 chain and sprockets
and making a used GSXR tail tidy fit my bike, however since I've had the hacksaw and file
out I have now placed an order on a D3 tail tidy.

Whilst stripped down I will also replace some more bolts with Titanium and a carbon rear
hugger might go on too.

Who knows what else, Gold wheels, some powder coating, we will see.

I took the tank off last night too, what a bitch that was doing it on my own with a full tank
of fuel whilst trying to disconnect the mutli plug and the fuel line.

I still can't decide wether or not to paint the front mudguard and the mirrors red.

You watch the weather get better now
Attached Images

Treat others as you wish to be treated
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by perfect; 07-18-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:02 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Taylor
Have to say Dan how different we are, you appear to have as much enjoyment modifying the bike as I have riding it. Very very impressive workshop
post #3 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:28 AM

Nice garage and I love that floor mat! I now need one for myself!
I know painting the mirrors has been discussed on this forum, but how much do you think is the effort involved? Is it easy to remove the blinkers from the mirror casing? Do you need to sand the plastic surface to smooth the surface texture before spraying primer?

Currently - '13 Ducati Multistrada (for sale), '09 Daytona (track only)
Previously - '13 F800GS, '13 MV F3, '10 S1000RR, '04 Royal Enfield 500, '97 Yamaha RX135, '90 Yamaha RD350...and many more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankmittal View Post
Nice garage and I love that floor mat! I now need one for myself!
I know painting the mirrors has been discussed on this forum, but how much do you think is the effort involved? Is it easy to remove the blinkers from the mirror casing? Do you need to sand the plastic surface to smooth the surface texture before spraying primer?
My mirrors are with a local quality body repairer, the painter also customises motor bikes. They telephone yesterday and advised that they have been able to dismantled the mirrors. I was able to obtain the paint from Motorbike Paint (www.rsbikepaint.com), who by chance are only 5 miles from my home. The paint code is on the USB memory stick, although they say it is the same as the F4
Will refit on Friday, hopefully with a perfect colour match, if so images will be posted.
Cost of the paint £23.00, cost of the painting will be a a personal donation to the painter
post #5 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the comments on the workshop guys, I do enjoy working on bikes, I had been reluctant to take the F3 apart as I wanted to get out on it,
the weather has been so awful though and I haven't had oppurtunity to get out for almost weeks.

In the end I thought atleast I can have some fun tinkering, it's a good oppurtunity to get to know the bike and how it's put together too.

Now that it is semi stripped I need to decide how far I go, I really wanted to powder coat the frame side plates and swing arm in gold to match the
ORO,
trouble is looking over the bike it's a big job and defo some serious stripping, I even wonder if it's worth all the work.

I think I'll drop the mirrors off tomorrow but the fender I'll leave as a carbon one may on the cards in the future.

So what about painting the wheels gold, again a lot of work and will easily put the bike off the road for another week.

In it's current state it's a couple of hours to get it back together.

I guess some things will have to be left for the winter months, I need to buy a new chain breaker too, I broke mine doing the last bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect View Post
thanks for the comments on the workshop guys, I do enjoy working on bikes, I had been reluctant to take the F3 apart as I wanted to get out on it,
the weather has been so awful though and I haven't had oppurtunity to get out for almost weeks.

In the end I thought atleast I can have some fun tinkering, it's a good oppurtunity to get to know the bike and how it's put together too.

Now that it is semi stripped I need to decide how far I go, I really wanted to powder coat the frame side plates and swing arm in gold to match the
ORO,
trouble is looking over the bike it's a big job and defo some serious stripping, I even wonder if it's worth all the work.

I think I'll drop the mirrors off tomorrow but the fender I'll leave as a carbon one may on the cards in the future.

So what about painting the wheels gold, again a lot of work and will easily put the bike off the road for another week.

In it's current state it's a couple of hours to get it back together.

I guess some things will have to be left for the winter months, I need to buy a new chain breaker too, I broke mine doing the last bike
What do you intend to do with the mirrors Dan?
Understand they are not that easy to dismantle, ForzaItalia contact was unable to do it.
I will find out tomorrow as to what is involved, hopefully it will be a perfect colour match. If so, pics to follow
post #7 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 08:33 PM

Mine is a lot more naked than yours right now...

Tidy workshop, but it lacks the inappropriate amount of titty posters for my taste. And Zoey Deschanel? o.O

I'll be curious how the bike responds to the airfilters and nothing else. Let us know.
post #8 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 12:08 AM
Established Member

Nice job there guess you had some skill doing it yourself... i would like to but not my F3 as the learning object T_T

keep us updated mate
post #9 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I used to be a vehicle technician so I am pretty handy with the right tools, i'll have a go at anything to be
honest, as long as you are careful and take your time.

Bikes and cars are nuts and bolts. I have rebuilt and converted a few over the years.

post #10 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Taylor View Post
What do you intend to do with the mirrors Dan?
Understand they are not that easy to dismantle, ForzaItalia contact was unable to do it.
I will find out tomorrow as to what is involved, hopefully it will be a perfect colour match. If so, pics to follow
I will remove them from the bike, remove the indicators and will probably just mask up the glass, I did try to prise the mirror glass out but feared they might crack, the thing I noticted is the corner of the spoiler sits really close to the mirror body so you might get a build up
of paint or a dry section underneath, I don't know wether the spoiler is a push fit or it's bolted on, I might try and pull it off later.

They will need keying with some flating paper, prob about 2000 grade
then plastic primer to get adeasion and smooth finish.

I will cover the front spoiler in cabon and I have some nice Corse decals to add too.

Job for next week now, i'll get paint code off USB stick tonight, I'm sure it something like (A) and is called Canyon Red.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode