How to unscrew radiator coolant filler cap?? - MVAgusta.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
dokterdewe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 233
How to unscrew radiator coolant filler cap??

is there any special method or tools??because i keep screwing and it does moving but circling and not going anywhere please help me... the coolant is already below min so i cant get my bike on road

oh yes... is it normal for every 200-400 km the coolant already below min?
dokterdewe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Senior Member
 
MV BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stockton-On-Tees, England
Posts: 261
Same problem I have every time is solved with a small rubber strap wrench, wrapped round the filler cap and held tight with fingers and turned anti clockwise....job done! Hope that helps mate


Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
MV BOY is offline  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 04:12 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 14
Coolant might drop a bit with evaporation through header expansion bottle.
You should fill coolant up,via bottle not radiator, if you drain system fully, then u remove radiator cap and fill plastic expansion bottle under tank until it comes out of radiator, then put cap on radiator, and fill to above min level.
My level is low too, on min, but I not taking tank off to see it you fill as described above. Normal bikes fill as above, but the the f3 is no normal bike!
If you worried about it leaking somewhere it shouldn't be, a few things you can check; if exhaust smells sweet and white/blue smoke your burning it in cylinder, if oil in sump is milky, emulsion the it's going in sump, if you got crusty stains, maybe white, on inside fairing it's prob leaking hose/clip etc. otherwise, don't worry
Trikrik is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
dokterdewe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV BOY View Post
Same problem I have every time is solved with a small rubber strap wrench, wrapped round the filler cap and held tight with fingers and turned anti clockwise....job done! Hope that helps mate


Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
thanks and.. do you mind to post the pic of those "small rubber strap wrench" ? im sorry because i've never heard but maybe i've ever seen it yet i dont the name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikrik View Post
Coolant might drop a bit with evaporation through header expansion bottle.
You should fill coolant up,via bottle not radiator, if you drain system fully, then u remove radiator cap and fill plastic expansion bottle under tank until it comes out of radiator, then put cap on radiator, and fill to above min level.
My level is low too, on min, but I not taking tank off to see it you fill as described above. Normal bikes fill as above, but the the f3 is no normal bike!
If you worried about it leaking somewhere it shouldn't be, a few things you can check; if exhaust smells sweet and white/blue smoke your burning it in cylinder, if oil in sump is milky, emulsion the it's going in sump, if you got crusty stains, maybe white, on inside fairing it's prob leaking hose/clip etc. otherwise, don't worry
yes.. thanks.. actually i mean the bottle.. on the right side of the front suspension clamp yoke.. to fill it up we have to open the filler cap right? at least it says so in the manual book..

i'll check it out sir.. i hope it will be allright..
dokterdewe is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 01:02 AM
Established Member
 
marineengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Leer, Germany
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikrik View Post
if you got crusty stains, maybe white, on inside fairing it's prob.......
........ably Randy admiring a real bike.

MV Agusta - My Correct Alot
marineengineer is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Established Member
 
Trepis_Toni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Munich
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV BOY View Post
I have every time is solved with a small rubber strap wrench, wrapped round the filler cap and held tight with fingers and turned anti clockwise....job done! Hope that helps mate
Hmm, isn´t it a screw plug to drive with an allen key?

I was told by the dealer that the level should be not higher than MIN.
Trepis_Toni is offline  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 03:49 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 14
I'm pretty sure if that was the case, it would be labelled max, and not min
Trikrik is offline  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 04:10 AM
Established Member
 
Trepis_Toni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Munich
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikrik View Post
I'm pretty sure if that was the case, it would be labelled max, and not min
yeah, that would be meaningful ;-)
but also my previous bike - a BMW F800 - has had the same problem (well known within the F800 owners): Everytime you fill in too much liquid, it was pressed out...

Cheers
Toni
Trepis_Toni is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 06:06 AM
Moderator
 
Donsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,054
New Site Garage
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikrik View Post
I'm pretty sure if that was the case, it would be labelled max, and not min
On most vehicle's that I have run into, where the recovery tank is pressurised, you fill it to the min mark when bike is cold, this is the case on ALL other MV's too.
This allow's for the expansion of the coolant when getting hot, without it pissing out of the overflow as so many smart arse operators have found.
You will notice the amount of fluid between MIN and MAX is very small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepis_Toni View Post
yeah, that would be meaningful ;-)
but also my previous bike - a BMW F800 - has had the same problem (well known within the F800 owners): Everytime you fill in too much liquid, it was pressed out...

Cheers
Toni
Thanks for the info on the undoing of the cap ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Donsy is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Stephen W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glen Ross on Trent, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by dokterdewe View Post
... the coolant is already below min so i cant get my bike on road

oh yes... is it normal for every 200-400 km the coolant already below min?
Doc, are you checking it with the engine cold or after a ride when it's hot? It would make sense that cold it's near the low mark so that hot it doesn't over flow.

Also, it's normal these days for new vehicles to need some fluids topped up during the break in period.

the Dreamer
(a.k.a. Dreamin' Stephen)
Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.
2013 675 MV F3 Red Molly
1998 900 SS FE silFEr


Stephen W. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome