F3 is home! (Hong Kong) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

F3 is home! (Hong Kong)

Well today I left work early and went to my dealer to pick up my gorgeous white F3. Not done much to the standard model other than:
1. tank protector
2. alarm/anti-theft installed
3. steering dampner (on order)
4. tail tidy (arrived but will install this weekend)

The dealer was in Italy during April when the bikes were picked up and he's not sure if the mapping is updated so I will go back to the dealer in a few weeks when he has the unit to check/update.

Impossible to give an accurate report as I was stuck in rush hour traffic on a damp road just after sunset so really took it easy getting home.

What I can tell you from the very short ride is:
1. looks incredible (obviously that is irrespective of the ride home)

2. sounds angry.... my friend arrived on his CBR600RR just before I left for home and comparing the sound between the two is like a comparing a lawn mower vs. a lion snarling. The Honda actually sounds very refined and gentle whereas the MV sounds like an angry beast. On the short trip home it sounded like it was angry at the world. I'm not sure this will be relevant to everyone but if you've watched the movie Warrior it's like the brother Tommy who's got some serious anger management issues! Anyway - you get the point.

3. Fuelling - first of a disclaimer - I am the least qualified person on this forum so others opinions will count for more.
Given I had to drive through the city in heavy traffic and on a damp road I only once got above 80km/h which was on the highway. The rest of the time was very slow and I followed others advice and kept her in a low gear and just feathered the clutch as/when necessary. Being a relatively inexperienced rider (been years since I rode around London) I didn't have any issues and found it to be comfortable and easy getting home. I guess I'll need more time for an overall opinion but I got home without any stress or drama. The power was there when I expected it and there were no nasty surprises below 4000rpm. But as I said a more experienced rider would pick up far more than I can.

4. Anti-theft - I seem to be one of the first few with this device installed. What I can tell you is that it is VERY loud. There appear to be a million different settings you can apply and the user manual was rather confusing. At the moment mine arms every time I turn off the ignition. I think I will change this so that I can arm it as/when I chose. It seems you can program the sensitivity, neutral alarm period, activation method (e.g. custom code using clutch lever) and many other things. I must admit it seems a bit of overkill but then again you can't argue they haven't given you every conceivable option (except for a remote activation). Anyway - it's loud and it will draw attention for sure if that is what you want. I don't really need it given my building has secure parking facilities but if it prevents just 1 would be thief then happy days.

5. Seat height - well there have been a few comments on seat height so let me set everyone straight. I am 5'7" or 173cm tall. I can touch the ground comfortably although not entirely flat feet. However the bike is so light that moving it forwards or backwards whilst seated is much easier than other bikes I've tried.

6. Comfort - well having tried a Duc 848 and CBR600RR on the track I must say the F3 is very comfortable. Not crazy pitched forward and it felt like my body moulded to the frame. I guess taller / bigger guys will have more relevant comments but I felt super comfy.

7. Build quality - no point commenting - beautiful.

8. Mapping - had the bike in "normal mode" with TC at a reasonably high level. Lots to learn about the tweaks I can make to suit my riding. If anyone has any key pointers on custom mapping I'd appreciate any advice.

I'll post some pictures this weekend. Hope all the new owners are loving their bikes and for all those waiting - take solace in the fact that IT WILL be worth the wait. Just be patient, keep distracted and look forward to safe and happy riding ahead.

Ciao!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:06 AM

Congrats! I can't wait to see some pictured of the white F3. Could you tell us in detail how the alarm works and what are its features? The MV website doesn't give much info and I am contemplating whether I should get the alarm or not. Does it has its own battery?

Currently - '13 Ducati Multistrada (for sale), '09 Daytona (track only)
Previously - '13 F800GS, '13 MV F3, '10 S1000RR, '04 Royal Enfield 500, '97 Yamaha RX135, '90 Yamaha RD350...and many more.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:17 AM

Congrats!! I would love to see some pictures since I am also waiting for my white one to come in. I've seen a million pictures of the red/silver and only a few white pics. I know it's the same but when I'm this anxious seeing more pics of what I'm getting in 1 month is always a good thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Hi shashankmittal
I will post pictures this weekend. I must say I was originally going to order black but ended up limited to the white. When I got to see all 4 (oro, red, black & white) together I was very happy with my choice. Don't get me wrong - all are beautiful. For me the white shows the lines of the bike better than the other colors. You can't see it on photos but see them in person and you may agree. Then again my mind may be biased based on my choice. I like the fact that it's unique - not many white bikes around but tons of black ones. And the red frame makes it super sexy.

The alarm has a battery from what I can tell. From the user guide:
Battery Backup:
SPAFS001F3 is endowed with buffer batteries that guarantee its operation also in the case the cable that connects the battery to the electric plant of the vehicle is cut. The battery backup is automatically armed when the black connector of the alarm wiring is connected.

As mentioned there is no remote control for the alarm. The activation, mode and timing is all programmable. It can use a series of ignition on/off strokes, clutch lever codes and/or a manual button hidden somewhere on the bike or under the pillion seat. I really think the options of customization are overkill to the point of total confusion - but I will basically set mine to arm manually (via the button I think) and disarm perhaps via the button as well. I don't like it arming everytime I turn off the ignition which is the current setting.

If you want I will scan the user guide and post for those interested.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:53 AM

New Site Garage
Congrats mate, enjoy the new toy. Can't wait for the pictures.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Established Member

Hi Hduck,
Is the alarm this one from the MV Agusta.it site? http://www.mvagusta.it/common/shop/s...-con-cablaggio

If so do you know if your dealer just plugged it all in, with no cutting of wires?

Lang mae yer lums reek

2001 F4 750 1+1
2012 F3 675
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:41 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Taylor
Very encouraging report Hduck, it looks as though I am now going to wait until the end of the month to collect mine

Which tailtidy did you purchase?

Last edited by Bruce Taylor; 05-17-2012 at 10:50 AM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Hi Donsy - thanks for the congrats!

Hey Kevjayney - the alarm is the one you linked to - i.e. the official MV F3 antitheft device. As mentioned the alarm itself is LOUD. Please let me know if anyone wants me to scan the user guide as I'm happy to do so. As mentioned there are so many options to configure this thing.

@Bruce - don't think about the wait. I've been keeping busy wakeboarding and various other things not thinking about the arrival date. But I don't believe I'm wrong when I say everyone waiting will be thrilled. It's torture but it makes the arrival that much sweeter.
I believe the tail tidy I have is this one
http://www.evolutionbike.it/mvagusta...spptt001f3.jpg
I saw it but because it was late the dealer said they would prefer to install it this weekend. I don't massively dislike the standard plate holder but it just seems unnecessary and excessive.

I must say having not ridden in the city for several years I was worried about not being able to put crash protection (i.e. frame protectors) on the bike and that I may drop it. It is super light - can't emphasize this enough. I'm not saying I won't do something stupid but I feel relatively confident without crash protection attached.

I don't plan on removing the pillion pegs or covering the seat as my girlfriend wants to be able to pillion occasionally. I guess we will see how comfortable she finds it this weekend.

Anyway - I don't care about any reviews or any comparisons or any opinions really. Bottom line is I am truly happy with my purchase and I think the F3 and I are going to have a great deal of fun together. I guarantee some of my friends will ride it and say "oh my CBR is sooooo much smoother". I really don't mind that. I love the look, I love the feel and I love the attitude of this bike. I think a bike that is too refined takes the thrill away and this bike is going to bring me tons of joy and excitement. For those who really want to delve into the pros and cons go for it. All I would offer is anyone who hasn't ridden it should at least give it the benefit of the doubt.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 AM

yeh dude mega conrats
pics pics pics
cant wait to see it and hear ur thoughts
must agree im very tempted by the white, think it looks the bomb.
good choice govna

Sanity is the playground for the un-imaginative

2005 MV F4 1000S / 2006 Yamaha 50th anniversary R1 / 1998 Aprilia RS 125
1995 Suzuki RGV 250 / 2004 Cagiva Mito EVO2 / 2000 Cagiva mito
1992 Yamaha YZ250 / 1991 Kawasaki kr1s / 2010 Vespa GTS 300
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Oh one last thing which everyone seems concerned about - the exhaust alignment
Mine is not perfectly aligned if perfectly is symmetrical across all three pipes. I don't see this as an issue. For what it's worth when looking at the bike in person it looks great. They are not in exactly the same alignment as the picture on the owners manual. Truthfully (I hope without bias) I think mine is perfect. If it hadn't been mentioned so much I would've never thought twice about it.

I'm sure some may alter it or change the three pipes altogether. I am simply happy with the looks I got cruising through the west side suburbs in HK as I made my way home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode