finally got my f3 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

finally got my f3

Well where do i start,i will probably get crucified for this but here goes.

As you can see by the amount of posts i make, i just usually read them, rather than write anything.

I Had to ride home in the rain and hailstones today,and after reading about the slow speed fuelling,i made sure that the map was on normal rather than sports as i had to ride through Aberdeen city at peak traffic time,then a 50 miles run home on normal roads.
I have had bad fuelled bikes before as in gsxr's that were not running right, as i was fitting dynojet kits and messing around with jets/needle changes etc,but jesus the low down fuelling on this bike takes the biscuit.

From idle to 4500rpm it is all over the shop,i thought by some of the reports from others on here that it wouldn't be to "bad".

The throttle action does not match anything that happens low down,the engine acts as if you are putting on and off a manual choke,the revs cough and splutter,the revs seem to go high and low,on there own depending on throttle position,its as though the throttle cable is too slack and you have to play around with throttle position just to see what the engine is up too. ( i know there is no throttle cable ).

When going through town,taking off from junctions is quite hard as you can't judge what the revs are doing,and the mechanical noise from the cush drive is frightning,i was convinced the chain was far to tight,but no it was fine.Its like you are running around 3 gears too high.

I was told today that my bike had a upgrade in mapping #43 as the first ones had #42. Looking back, MCN was slightly kind to MV with there report,unless of course you can't ride them in the rain!!!

I have never owned or ridden a 3 cylinder bike before,but the engine seems quite vibey or rough,is this normal as im used to 4 cylinder.

This is my honest opinion about the fuelling,im not going to butter it up.I hope there is going to be a fix with this,as it does really spoil a superb bike.

Only put it up to 8000rpm today,but above the 5000rpm this engine is, and sounds great,im sure it will be an awsome bike.

Will keep updating my reports as i find them.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lang mae yer lums reek

2001 F4 750 1+1
2012 F3 675
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:12 PM

I read somewhere on this forum that MotoGB were in the process of finalizing the updated mapping in terms of resourcing the IT infrastructure, maybe #43 is not the final mapping afterall.
I hope this gets sorted out soon...

Currently - '13 Ducati Multistrada (for sale), '09 Daytona (track only)
Previously - '13 F800GS, '13 MV F3, '10 S1000RR, '04 Royal Enfield 500, '97 Yamaha RX135, '90 Yamaha RD350...and many more.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Taylor
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjayney View Post
Well where do i start,i will probably get crucified for this but here goes.

As you can see by the amount of posts i make, i just usually read them, rather than write anything.

I Had to ride home in the rain and hailstones today,and after reading about the slow speed fuelling,i made sure that the map was on normal rather than sports as i had to ride through Aberdeen city at peak traffic time,then a 50 miles run home on normal roads.
I have had bad fuelled bikes before as in gsxr's that were not running right, as i was fitting dynojet kits and messing around with jets/needle changes etc,but jesus the low down fuelling on this bike takes the biscuit.

From idle to 4500rpm it is all over the shop,i thought by some of the reports from others on here that it wouldn't be to "bad".

The throttle action does not match anything that happens low down,the engine acts as if you are putting on and off a manual choke,the revs cough and splutter,the revs seem to go high and low,on there own depending on throttle position,its as though the throttle cable is too slack and you have to play around with throttle position just to see what the engine is up too. ( i know there is no throttle cable ).

When going through town,taking off from junctions is quite hard as you can't judge what the revs are doing,and the mechanical noise from the cush drive is frightning,i was convinced the chain was far to tight,but no it was fine.Its like you are running around 3 gears too high.

I was told today that my bike had a upgrade in mapping #43 as the first ones had #42. Looking back, MCN was slightly kind to MV with there report,unless of course you can't ride them in the rain!!!

I have never owned or ridden a 3 cylinder bike before,but the engine seems quite vibey or rough,is this normal as im used to 4 cylinder.

This is my honest opinion about the fuelling,im not going to butter it up.I hope there is going to be a fix with this,as it does really spoil a superb bike.

Only put it up to 8000rpm today,but above the 5000rpm this engine is, and sounds great,im sure it will be an awsome bike.

Will keep updating my reports as i find them.
Very interesting, certainly not the news that you like to read, it seems strange that other riders are not reporting similar problems (or may not want to?)
Could you have not switched to rain mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 07:04 PM

Thanks for your honest write up.

Do you think you're experience was perhaps influenced by the weather and new bike nerves?

Clearly not many of you have ridden race bikes from the 90's, Ducatis or two strokes! power never used to exist below 4k anyway!

Sent from a silly little so called Smart phone.
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Established Member

First of all i want to concratulate you to the bike. As most of us first buyers You for sure fall in love with this F3 from the pics videos and the racetrack reports as i did. i bought the bike without even sitting on one.
The problems in the belov 4500rpm are well reported in this forum and we all hope it will become better.
But when You leave the town and You reach 6000 rpm this bike is beautifull.
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:50 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Great looking bike,its a shame about the fuelling.Hope it gets sorted real soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 11:11 PM

No question the fueling should be correct on a new machine, but that's one of the reasons they make Power Commanders. This can be fixed for less money than the first carbon fiber bangle.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 AM
Established Member

I don't understand, that the bikes are that different with the fuleing problems. Did ride mine yesterday again one hour. Absolutely lovely, not perfect like I told many times, but no problem, that makes it "unrideable".

Perhaps it depends also a little bit on the rider I think and his feelings. Did ride a few years before a Ducati SS '96, the last bikes have been a modified two-stroke-mito 125 and a Harley 48. All no smooth bikes, I can tell ya...

@ 15.000U/min you have no friends
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Just to answer a few of the reply's,

Although it was raining,being a new bike and im not very computer literate,i wasn't going to stop at the side of the road in the rain to fiddle with the computer. I was only going slow through traffic so normal mode should be fine. In my opinion rain mode should be selected when you are riding in the rain and are riding fast, as the smoother power delivery should make you more confident to go faster.

Not to sound big headed, but i have 30 years riding experiance,so the rain or owning a new bike did not influence my write up,the fuelling is what it is. I have ridden plenty of badly ( low down )fuelled bikes race yamaha lc's being the worst.

Not trying to wind anyone up here, just reviewing what i found on my bike.

Lang mae yer lums reek

2001 F4 750 1+1
2012 F3 675
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 02:00 AM

congrats on the purchase. Its funny that some have felt the fuelling is an issue while others feel its fine. You do have good experience with bikes and would surely know how a bike should behave at low speeds. I was told all sorts of faults when buying the brutale and the snatchy throttle was one of them but I just felt that the throttle was very responsive and quite like it actually. I hope that it gets sorted out quickly and you can enjoy the bike. Do keep updating us as you get more rides on your machine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode