My review of the F3 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

My review of the F3

Hi all, just back from a test drive of the F3 and here is my impression of the bike so far...

Let me start with a list of positives, negatives, indifferent - please remember that this is only my view and you should all make your own!

Positive:
engine - lovely, quick revving
sound - at speed and higher in the revs the intake/exhaust/engine noise gives me goosebumps
handling - only tested on motorway and 5 or 6 turns but what i could see was positive...flickable, quick steering, stable in the turns very responsive
looks - man that thing is pretty

Indifferent:
exhaust alignment - yes, slightly off but unless you are looking for it, it will not jump out at you and say "WTF"

Negative (pls do not jump down my throat...there are a few in MY opinion):
fueling - this comes out as 2 symptoms which i think are only 1 problem
1. under 4k jerkiness...should be better with new map
2. close to slightly open at high revs - very abrupt from on-off resulting a jerk when shutting the throttle off when revs over 10k and from 7k (no throttle) to trying to cruise (no acceleration)
gearing - fook this think is geared high...1st gear in town, 3rd gear on motorway easy (120k). Need to change front and rear sprocket to make better and get some free extra power
handling - yes, this is negative as well...a bit nervous (but not excessive) but also experiences head shakes when accelerating hard. My RS 250 is less nervous and the F3 reminds me of the RSV4. Steering damper should fix this up no problem
shifter - no way i could see to reverse the gear shift pattern to GP with stock rearsets.

All in all, i really like this bike but it will need a bit of work to become "mine". I weighed it at 184kg with 1/2 tank of gas using a home scale (yes, not very accurate) which is around 4kg less than my 848 with similar gas in the tank...848 also has slipon, no rear foot rests and carbon cover instead of the rear seat so total weight difference should be around 7kg less than the 848. This wet weight puts it right around the Truimph 675R which has the lowest wet weight for middle weight sports bikes according to wikipedia

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 04:26 PM

New Site Garage
Which map did you use ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 04:31 PM

Google maps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 04:36 PM

New Site Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikrik View Post
Google maps
Smart arse

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 07:08 PM

It's nice to hear someone's view who has taken the time. Thanks!

I wouldn't rush out and buy a steering damper before playing with the set up. Otherwise you could be pasting over a basic setup problem.

Sent from a silly little so called Smart phone.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 08:41 PM

thanks for the info.

i would also add that the dual seat with pillion pegs should be an option and the bike should come with a single seat as standard. Those pillion pegs stand out like the preverbial 'dogs balls'.

Unfortunately, government regulations also mean the number plate holder extends way down (in Oz it's got to be at an angle of 45 degrees from the rear wheel axle and the cops ping you if it isn't - ie a tail tidy mod). The bike would look better without the plate holder or at least a much smaller one.

Called into my local MV dealer yesterday and saw the F3 oro. Small and stunning and the three pipes .. wow. He also said that there was a software upgrade as the existing mapping has a tendancy to 'cut out'. They are waiting for it so they can deliver the bike to the new owner. The upgrade is for all F3 bikes.

I'm looking forward to getting a ride/demo ride on one. May even i]break a 'rule' ( never buy the first of anything as there are always problems which are usually sorted by the second batch) and buy one
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 09:08 PM

Will there be a r version?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:54 PM

I am hoping to make a tail tidy, or possibly make one from another mv model fit, perhaps an f4, I doubt it will be massively different ? Hopefully just a case of drilling new holes in the bracket.

With a bit of luck R&G or Evotech will come up with one soon. I might contact them once I have the bike and offer mine for measuring up.

The pillion rests will be the first to come off, that will save some weight too!

Interesting about gearing, I'm sure someone else, the filter people have mentioned they are looking at the gearing

Last edited by perfect; 04-28-2012 at 10:58 PM.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

I was driving in sport mode. I did not notice the partial open of the gas in the corners but then again I am used to riding my RS250 at the track.

Setup/replacement shock and fork internals will help but i do not think it will get rid of the twitchyness completely - my RS250 and 848 are both more stable and the F3 remind me of the RSV and my ZX10R which benefited greatly from the steering damper (also quicker/cheaper initially than going whole hog on the suspension )
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

forgot 1 thing:

engine braking is extremely high - more than on my 848...so much so that it feels like you hit the rear brake at the same time when shutting off the throttle from about 10k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode