Anyone know what type of battery and chain on the F3? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Question Anyone know what type of battery and chain on the F3?

Need some technical help here, I havent' got my bike yet but want to get some bits ordered for when it arrives.

I am looking into a lightweight Lipo battery so need the standard battery type details, they have a model number ie YTX9-BS. I know it's 12v 8 ah.

I also want to replace the standard chain with a DID gold item like on the oro, I'm guessing it would be a 530 type? then the standard number of links?

Hopefully there will be a workshop manual released soon.

I know the F3 is light but I am putting it on a diet when i get it, forged wheels are high on the list but need to save for them.

I could do with getting on the treadmill too lol.

I doubt i will race the bike and i know some of you may be wondering so what's point?

I took about 10 kilos off my last my bike and it totally transformed it, it felt much more flickable, stopped quicker, accelerated faster.

Sorry to be a pain

Treat others as you wish to be treated
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 05:38 AM
Established Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyconcrete
Just had a look in the hand book, no specs in there at all...give Steve a ring at Drayton Croft, he's the MV geek...

Beware...accessing the battery is a major job...the tank has to come off...and it is a moto gp style tank that is moulded to fill every bit of free space under the seat...its a work of art. And the undertray and side panels...mmm....you'll have hours of fun!

I spent some time yesterday with Jill getting her suspension set up right, she's only 55kg so all of the pre load except for 1/4 turn came off the front, which has clearly lowered the nose, when I road it afterward it reminded me of an RS250 I once had...the steering is lighting quick...
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Cool! Thanks mate, I can't wait to get my hands on it. have you lowered the front forks in the triple clamps? has Tallula taken the rear pillion rests off?

I am going to sort all my ti fixings out tomorrow to se what I have, my only concern is the thread pitch on the standard MV fasterners, I hope its the same as Aprilia?

I might wait on the chain and battery till i get the bike, I ordered the rear wheel nut tool this morning though, i've gone on the assumption it is the same as the F4, if it isn't I we either keep it or sell it.

I might wait to do the major mods till the winter, I ideally want the frame plates and swing arm in gold, massive work there though. frame plates should be ok but I hate doing swing arm bearings, especially on a single sided swing arm bike.

I've done a few rebuilds before but never on an MV, could be interesting.

Love this bike already and i haven't even took delivery yet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by perfect; 04-08-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 06:50 AM

Perfect,

I can tell you that standard chain on an F4 1000 is 525 . That's 5/8 in rivet centre to rivet centre and 2.5 x 1/8in width between the plates.

I don't know for sure but I'd be a bit surprised if the F3 chain is 530

If you go down on the chain size say to a 520 you would also have to change the sprockets .

joe
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 07:18 AM

Horses for courses, but why are you so keen to change a bike you haven't ridden?

Sent from a silly little so called Smart phone.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 08:14 AM

From all appearances MV have done a pretty reasonable job of this new bike.

Why all the changes.

I admit I buy cars and bikes for the driving and riding pleasure and sometimes have trouble understanding the motives of the 'car polishers' of the world, but you seem to be taking this to the next level.

If I buy an F3 I suspect I will change nothing, ever.

Whatever way it rides will be the right way as that is the way MV wanted it no matter what the motive. $$$ or otherwise.

If I didn't believe in the MV thing then I would just build my own bike from scratch, which is almost what you seem to want to do...?

Anyway it takes all kinds I suppose, and it does, but jees, fuck with an MV...Thats a big call!

Andrew.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect View Post
Cool! Thanks mate, I can't wait to get my hands on it. have you lowered the front forks in the triple clamps? has Tallula taken the rear pillion rests off?
No, the bikes low enough, can get both feet on the ground almost flat.
Yes - rear pegs are off, the lines look much better without them.

Just ski down there and jump off something, for cryin' out loud ...

Proud owner of an MV Agusta F3 - picked up on 06/04/2012 from Drayton Croft, Hinckley.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotojoe View Post
Perfect,

I can tell you that standard chain on an F4 1000 is 525 . That's 5/8 in rivet centre to rivet centre and 2.5 x 1/8in width between the plates.

I don't know for sure but I'd be a bit surprised if the F3 chain is 530

If you go down on the chain size say to a 520 you would also have to change the sprockets .

joe
Thanks joe, 525 sounds spot on!

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggo View Post
Horses for courses, but why are you so keen to change a bike you haven't ridden?

Sent from a silly little so called Smart phone.
The standard f3 is stunning, a very beautiful bike but the Oro is something else, I know it's cheating but I want to make mine kind of an Oro replica. The weight savings is from experience doing it before. It is very rewarding and to be honest i enjoy working on the bikes as much as I do riding them, it's a personal thing, we are all different with what bike ownership means to us.

After almost 15 months waiting I had my imagination to keep me going, i've been thinking of all the things I would do, nearly always last thing at night before i fall asleep

Last edited by perfect; 04-08-2012 at 04:38 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahutchy View Post
From all appearances MV have done a pretty reasonable job of this new bike.

Why all the changes.

I admit I buy cars and bikes for the driving and riding pleasure and sometimes have trouble understanding the motives of the 'car polishers' of the world, but you seem to be taking this to the next level.

If I buy an F3 I suspect I will change nothing, ever.

Whatever way it rides will be the right way as that is the way MV wanted it no matter what the motive. $$$ or otherwise.

If I didn't believe in the MV thing then I would just build my own bike from scratch, which is almost what you seem to want to do...?

Anyway it takes all kinds I suppose, and it does, but jees, fuck with an MV...Thats a big call!

Andrew.
I wont ruin it I promise, it will all be in the best possible taste, I know you can go too far.

I think we all agree the oro is step up in looks from the standard F3, I will simply copy it's best bits, i realise i might spend £5K doing so but as you wil see that's what I do.

I'm a bit surprised you think this is wrong, all be it just your opinion which is fine, but doesn't anyone modify their bikes on here?

All I want to do is copy some of what we have seen on the first pre production F3 and the Oro

I wouldn't dream of turning mine into the monstrosity f4 on eBay, but what's wrong with being unique?

list goes something like this, hope it doesn't offend anyone

Colour code mirrors to match fairing
remove rear pillion rests
replace tail unit with tail tidy
paint wheels gold until I can afford lightweight gold forged wheels
Paint cam cover red
Replace chain with gold chain
have forks anodised and gold nitrided
cover belly pan in carbon fibre vinyl
fit geniune MV carbon front mud guard, rear hugger and front sprocket cover.
fit genuine MV tank protector
fit Genuine MV steering damper
Replace all original nuts and bolts with titanium items
Replace battery with lightweight lipo item
When available replace exhaust system with Titanium and carbon item
Replace air filter with high performance item
fit short pazzo or equivlent levers
fit Genuine MV zenon headlamp kit

No weird paint schemes or decals I promise, just nice little touches, bits from the Oro and plenty of attention to detail

please don't spoil my dream

Last edited by perfect; 04-08-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode