The Truth (Not according to MCN) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyconcrete
The Truth (Not according to MCN)

Well, here it is, Tallula gets home with her brand new F3, so I do absolutely the right thing and pinch it for half an hour....

So...after a mad half hour I can report that in back to back testing with my F4, the F3 has a really tricky side stand!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Established Member

Other than the side stand ....

Sorry if this comes across a bit incoherent ... alot of this is about the feel of it ...

First impressions are between 0 and 4k the bike's not sure what day of the week it is but over 4k its as sweet as a nut, which could make running it in a bit tricky and I can understand why people won't like it in a carpark situation.

The engine breaking is a bit weird - the throttle is trying to do 'stuff' while you are doing 'stuff' - it feels like the ECU is telling the throttle bodies to do something while you are trying to do something else with your right hand, disconnect between right hand and throttles and the ECU is taking over at that point. This is only a very low speed. This is more about trusting the electronics and could be a departure from conventional electronics.

I don't see any of the above as insurmountable in terms of just getting used to it. It's a quirk and even on my ride home I started to get the feel for how much throttle I needed coming into roundabouts/junctions - it didn't stall and it didn't jerk but it does require you to get a feel for it's needs very quickly (this is a hard one to explain).

Don't fart about with the electronics without knowing what you're doing because you might inadvertently set the speed limiter to 38kph ... ooppps.

The suspension is plush and subtle - compared with the R6 it feels so much more sophiscated.

It is very light - almost like riding a push bike - I thought the R6 was light, the F3 is much lighter and so manoeverable! It's petite - the tank extends under the seat which makes it neat and narrow.

The clutch lever is not working for me - my hands are too small and the lever feels very far away - nothing a Rizoma lever won't solve. This the case with me and all bikes so not F3 specific.

I am not one bit disappointed ... I love it. It has an amazing amount of character ... it feels like a thoroughbred horse in terms of it being on the verge of something special all the time, like a future Derby winner. That will come after run in ... patience required below 4k.

And yes the side side is a bit weird.

Just ski down there and jump off something, for cryin' out loud ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud owner of an MV Agusta F3 - picked up on 06/04/2012 from Drayton Croft, Hinckley.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Established Member

Great to hear you are happy with the F3...so far! I'm a little concerned by the side stand comments though as with my 5'6 height and short legs, I struggle to engage the side stand on my F4 so if this is worse, that could be a problem!!! lol
What engine map are you currently running? "Sport" would explain the jerky throttle at lower revs. I would use "Normal" for now and when you are better acquainted with the bike, set it up using the custom or "Corono" map (as MV call it) to get the fuelling just about perfect for your style of riding and what you like best from an engine delivery.
"Sport" mode is really only any good if you are actually racing the bike on track, but for moderate road riding, it is too extreme.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new baby!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Established Member

Great little write up & im chuffed for you.

I am really interested in buying one of these but am holding off till I get a test ride.

I was wanting one mainly for track days as I already have a dozen road bikes, but the fuelling issue has held me back, as coming out of the hairpin at Oulton & finding no power or coming over the mountain at Cadwell & closing the throttle to find the bike continues could be catastrophic!

Your views & others as owners will be invaluable.

Keep posting.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 10:48 AM

I'm not concerned about any side stand issues. As an owner of a 916, nothing could possibly be worse than the side stand on that bike. They don't call them "suicide" stands for nothing!

'07 MV Agusta F4 1000R
'97 Ducati 916
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 11:30 AM

congrats tallula am jealous mine will be another week at least to arrive. Your comments are very helpfull. Happy riding!!! ju x
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG View Post
Great to hear you are happy with the F3...so far! I'm a little concerned by the side stand comments though as with my 5'6 height and short legs, I struggle to engage the side stand on my F4 so if this is worse, that could be a problem!!! lol
What engine map are you currently running? "Sport" would explain the jerky throttle at lower revs. I would use "Normal" for now and when you are better acquainted with the bike, set it up using the custom or "Corono" map (as MV call it) to get the fuelling just about perfect for your style of riding and what you like best from an engine delivery.
"Sport" mode is really only any good if you are actually racing the bike on track, but for moderate road riding, it is too extreme.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new baby!!
No need to worry ... I am only 5'5" ... once you kick the stand up it needs a second kick as it doesn't quite spring into place, at you'll know its up at that rate. No issue with it going down.

I had the map set on normal, as it left the dealership that way. I have now moved it to Fast on Engine Response setting and normal for everything else. As none of us seem to know what all the settings mean at the moment I am changing the variables one at a time and see where that leads me.

The custom mapping is easy enough to access - there just a lot of it - I reckon there'd be something seriously wrong if you can't find the perfect setting for whatever type of rider you are, working out what they all mean to each individual rider will take time.

So really it's like have a new toy that needs loads of playing around with, and that excites me. Just getting on and riding away is overrated ... (joke).

By the way the low down torque is superb, even in the limited run in rev range, passing on the way home was easy peasy !!!

Just ski down there and jump off something, for cryin' out loud ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud owner of an MV Agusta F3 - picked up on 06/04/2012 from Drayton Croft, Hinckley.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 11:53 AM

Don't bother running the bike in as they are all run at the factory so no real point and your find the engine will be much nicer for it oh and I'm sure fitting a ecu from that guy a Xbikes will sort the fueling out.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyconcrete
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungle View Post
Great little write up & im chuffed for you.

I am really interested in buying one of these but am holding off till I get a test ride.

I was wanting one mainly for track days as I already have a dozen road bikes, but the fuelling issue has held me back, as coming out of the hairpin at Oulton & finding no power or coming over the mountain at Cadwell & closing the throttle to find the bike continues could be catastrophic!

Your views & others as owners will be invaluable.

Keep posting.
Don't be concerned....it has very tall first gear...not so good for Santa Pod, great for Mallory and Oulton!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 12:10 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Taylor
Interesting and encouraging, are there any other reports from new owners?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode