MV Agusta Forum banner

Charger loom plug type

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Highside43 
#1 ·
Where I store my bike has no electricity nearby (locked in a shipping container in a storage yard). I've been looking at solar panels to put on the roof (but it needs to be covert - it's amongst a load of other containers and I don't want anyone walking by thinking what's so special about the contents of my container that it needs solar panels / wires going into it). Ive just picked it up from dealer over the weekend and picked myself up off the floor for the invoice that was shoved under my nose for the battery replacement (apparently not under warranty despite being bought new in June, but was told that as it's last year's model /bike, the battery could have been stood for a year). I've thought about wiring a car battery to the bike - I could have 2 car batteries and alternate them, charging the one at home when not plugged into the bike with wires straight from the battery terminals to a plug onto the charger port. I don't want to butcher the charger that came with the bike, but I want the plug that goes into the loom. Does anyone know what plug I need that is compatible with the one on the loom? What do I need to Google / search for please?

The other way is car batteries and an inverter, to plug the UK socket into to then change the current back to 12v, which seems a bit of a waste of time and in my basic understanding of science, as energy can't be created or destroyed there must be some energy loss with this route, leading to a faster discharge of the car battery?

Any other solutions I've not thought about and how to keep the charge of the bike with no electricity. I have a tracker fitted so need to keep the battery topped up.

Mucho gracious.

See less See more
#3 ·
Assuming that the OP has an F3 (he doesn’t have anything in his profile or signature), battery removal is a thorough pita.
There have been several threads in this section about charging from something other than a power outlet. They all seemed to be less than ideal.

#4 ·
I would think disconnecting the leads would at least help prevent a drain. Install an inline battery disconnect switch to help make it easy. Maybe add a portable litho jump starter to the mix as an aid. I have never done this so it is just thinking aloud.

Also, recently designed Antigravity batteries have a built-in reserve option to act as a jump starter. You'll have to read up on that.

At least disconnecting your battery will buy you some immediate time.

--Please chime in all...

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the answers folks - a little more info is required here methinks:-

I have a small portable suitcase style petrol genny in the unit for lights that I have rigged up when there for a while while working on something, so the ability to charge is possible but for only short durations and every few weeks or so when I'm there (I can't leave it running and just let it run out of petrol - have thought about that. It would stink the unit out plus noise may attract attention if I'm not around). I did keep everything rigged up so when I arrived at the unit and started the genny, it would instantly start charging but now believe that when I switch the genny off when it's time to lock up, it drains the other way as the red led stays illuminated on the MV charger. I did think at the time if it would drain the battery, and it's only when I got the low battery warning via e-mail approx. 4 weeks later (I have been busy with work, plus weather here in the UK isn't MV Augusta weather) from the tracker did it confirm my suspicions.

I don't have a garage or ability to store bike at home and closest secure place is a unit in a commercial storage facility an hours drive away. Not ideal but also not a problem as I know it's safe there - but the tracker only lasts about a month on its own internal battery, and is all wired into the loom and buried in the guts of the bike, so can't rig a car battery up to that alone.

Yes it's an F3 (profile picture), and yes, battery buried under tank.

So to re-cap....

I need to keep the battery with the bike to keep the tracker activated / juuced up. It's safe enough in the unit but for peace of mind I'd like to keep it with the bike battery installed. I dont want the hassle / time wasted with taking a battery in and out if I decide to ride it on a nice day - a rare occurrence in Mid Wales so can be spur of the moment dash to get it out.

That's why I was thinking solar panel route (but no idea what size / sort I need to provide enough juice for my needs), or plugging a car battery (or a leisure battery which may be more suitable?), which I can charge at home and swap over, with leads directly to the car bat terminals and a plug on the other end identical to the MV charger that came with the bike, so I can just swap around at my leisure without the naff of getting under the tank and installing some optimate (other bike chargers available) leads - which will only do the same thing as the plug already in the loom - hence why I was asking the question on plug type...??? Or are my ideas completely up the wrong tree and I need to do something else?

Don't really want the expense of buying a second MV charger just to cut the loom plug off it, if I can help it but it's my last resort.

#6 ·
Not sure if this might be any help, but Sportsbikeshop have numerous lead selections. I am not conversant with the F3 plug though, so I could be leading you astray:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/103719

And off on a tangent, (with apologies) do you have a moisture/condensation problem inside the container? I ask only because I have been considering container storage, but face face exactly the same dilemmas with power and battery charging - not to mention security!

#7 ·
And off on a tangent, (with apologies) do you have a moisture/condensation problem inside the container? I ask only because I have been considering container storage, but face face exactly the same dilemmas with power and battery charging - not to mention security!
Hi Nige,

I've rented 3 containers over the years, in different locations throughout the UK, all have been via storage businesses where you're amongst hundreds of them. All have had the roof sprayed with expanding foam. None have any issues with condensation. All others have been 20' containers, but the one I have now is a 40' one - it used to be quite stale in there so I drilled some extra discreet holes front and back for air flow which has worked. I keep papers, electrical items, the Caterham and all bikes are all stored in there. As safe as anywhere and not concerned about theft from them. Recommended. Only issue is the MV and charging - not been a problem with the GSXR or Aprillia.

Reactions: nigelrb
#8 ·
Your idea of larger car batteries plugged into the charger input should work to manage the bike's parasitic key-off draw for periods of storage.

There are a couple of places here in the USA that sell connectors. I suspect you will also find some supplier in the UK.

I've bought the male and female connectors for my Brutale and F4 750 from these guys:

AMP 1.5 Superseal

I suspect they will ship to the UK if you can't find locally.

#10 ·
The other option is to pull the CHARGE FUSE on the start solenoid. That will stop parasitic draw.

Of course you will have to verify your tracker stays lit.

#14 ·
Also, Solar is pretty simple. I live in a rural area and I get my internet connection via wireless. I have a tower up the hill behind my house that has line of sight to the service provider's tower 6 miles south, and a wireless bridge that connects my home in the canyon below. All the the remote equipment is solar powered. Used panels are dirt cheap now as large commercial installations upgrade to newer tech'. I just bought a stack of used 240W panels for $45/panel. I'm going to go solar direct to pump for my water-well.

For the internet connection I use this charge controller: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YCI48F4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With two 320W panels I bought from craigslist. I have two 6V golf-cart batteries to keep a supply of electrons.

All that is over-kill for what you need, but the concept is the same. It's VERY simple to set up off-grid solar power.

Some pics: The solar panels, the tower, view to the south where the service provider's tower is in the clouds, and the view into the canyon where the house is.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.