Rear Seat Cowl lock down - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By SneakyOwl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Rear Seat Cowl lock down

My rear seat cowl pops up while riding, no matter how hard I push down and try and secure it, it doesn't quite marry up, I had it in a dealership for another issue that's been resolved and they said it was
a common issue on this bike and they would sort it, but they never did! Has anyone had this issue and if so, how is it adjusted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 12:22 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3rc800 View Post
My rear seat cowl pops up while riding, no matter how hard I push down and try and secure it, it doesn't quite marry up, I had it in a dealership for another issue that's been resolved and they said it was
a common issue on this bike and they would sort it, but they never did! Has anyone had this issue and if so, how is it adjusted?
I had this issue with my rear seat cowl and also a unsuitable gap round it. I created my own spacers for the hinge (access from below pulling most of the tail section apart) to lower it a bit to allow a clean good closing fit. Why on earth a factory extra doesn't bolt straight on is beyond me. It is a joke of a design.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:23 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Yeah, the design of the cowl is terrible. I don't have problems with it not locking properly, but I do have to put in considerably more work to get it closed vs the stock passenger seat. And yup, I have used the proper spacers for the unit. I don't understand why they would manufacture the cowl unit to require separate spacers at all really, instead of just designing it for a proper fit to begin with.
jdgun and nigelrb like this.

Loud pipes don't save lives. Loud pipes just sound cool to egotistical riders like me

Current bike: 2018 MV Agusta F3 800 RC
Previous bikes: 2013 KTM Duke 690, 2015 KTM RC 390
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 04:02 PM

Also if you didn't, make sure them bolts holding the bump pad are loctited on.. Mine try to fall the other day.

2015 MV Agusta F3 800
2011 Triumph 675R
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks I will see if I can do my own adjustments on it, or book it back into the dealership I guess. Great bike but I must say there are a few issues with it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

I had a frustrating experience as well with mine. The instructions are vague at best and in my opinion does not have all the hardware to properly install it. In order to properly mount it I had to find bolt washers to shim the spacers for the bracket and also shim the striker with properly sized washers. It also helps to leave every loosy goosy to make any final adjustments. I ended up adjusting the striker and latch first so that i had my depths and left, right, forward, and backwards adjustments while the bracket was loose and only tighten the bracket bolts with the cowl latched down. Before i figured it out i actually had gotten it so bound up in there using only there hardware the kit provided it tool over 3hrs before i could manage to remove it with out destroying something.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

Oh probably should mention. im not sure on any of the sizing for the washers as i have a 17 F3 800RC and what i ended up doing was taking the plate that holds the tag to the tail tidy and used it as a template and cut a number plate holder out of an aluminum sheet of the same gauge so it would be the size of a USA motorcycle tag. What ended up left as far as hardware happen to be the exact sizing of the washers i ended up needing for the cowl.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 01:20 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Yea the fucknuts at MV did a piss poor job of designing the cowl. I had my mechanic cut and weld the hinge brackets down 1/8in for the seat to sit correctly without a huge gap. The locking lug also got an extra washer added so it locks easily.
(I bought a hinge off eBay, for the off chance I ever have a backpack)

When I have a chance I want to add some rubber stripping around it to give the tail compartment some measure of weatherproofing (mostly dust proofing for the Vegas desert)

I will note I also had to replace the inner screw on the pointy locking lug part. With the washer spacer is wasn't long enough. Thankfully I have an ACE hardware 1 mile away so I found a suitable bolt and simply dremeled off the head after I locktited it into place.

For how expensive it was, the engineer who green lit this piece of kit deserves a kick in the nuts. And then several more kicks when he's curled into a ball.

2018 MV F3 675 Avio Grey

"That pistol just kept saying, let go of my ears, you don't know what you're doing." -thehellbringer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in