F3 rear brake performance - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

F3 rear brake performance

Maybe it's just my personal opinion, but I feel the rear brake on my 2018 f3 800 isn't the best,
Quite spongey, and needs pumped a few times to improve bite.
My local dealer says all MVs based on the F3 platform are the same, as the heat soak from engine and exhaust effect the rear brake master cylinder.

Has anyone else experience with this? And any advice on improving the rear brake?

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:10 PM

New Site Garage
90% of F3 owners experience this.
The rear brake on F3 is a total nightmare to be honest.

Had my brake fluid change last week done by MV mechanic at dealer.
Rear brake is basically useless. Yes it brakes a bit but dont expect to lock rear wheel up.

Its 'normal' that it doesnt function propperly. Expect it to go bad real quick aswell.

*This counts for models with brake resorvoir up high behind side plate. Cant say how low mounted at brake pump work.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Gold_Saw View Post
90% of F3 owners experience this.
The rear brake on F3 is a total nightmare to be honest.

Had my brake fluid change last week done by MV mechanic at dealer.
Rear brake is basically useless. Yes it brakes a bit but dont expect to lock rear wheel up.

Its 'normal' that it doesnt function propperly. Expect it to go bad real quick aswell.

*This counts for models with brake resorvoir up high behind side plate. Cant say how low mounted at brake pump work.
Well that sucks haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 01:36 PM

New Site Garage
The lower right foot operated wheelie control pedal works well enough to prevent looping out. Does it have any other function?
Black_Gold_Saw likes this.

D23
CCS/ASRA #19
'Yamaha R1 Superbike
MV F3RC
Zuma 125
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati23 View Post
The lower right foot operated wheelie control pedal works well enough to prevent looping out. Does it have any other function?[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/images/MVagusta_net_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
On previous bikes I liked to use the rear brake alot, mostly for slow/tight manoeuvres
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 03:53 PM
Established Member

Yep, my 2018 Euro 4 model F3 (I believe they changed the location of the reservoir for these, according to MV dealer at service time) is also pants. I've bled it with about 500ml going through it a few weeks ago, it lasts for a day (great at first) but by the end presses to the floor faster than Osama bin Laden used to, with as much effect as Gretna Thunberg on turning Jeremy Clarkson into a Greenpeace ambassador.

Now, after use and when parking it up back in the man cave, I pump the brake and hang a 5L tin of paint off the lever. Seems to work, I just accept it as one of the idiosyncrasies of owning a non run of the mill bike. I know it's unacceptable, especially for the price, but hey ho. I can put up with it.

I will experiment with heat shields over the winter, and some fluid once suggested on here somewhere (Putoline I think, grade 4.0 but rated to 5.1??? I'll have to trawl the archives but it was 9nly in the last few months it was suggested)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside43 View Post
Yep, my 2018 Euro 4 model F3 (I believe they changed the location of the reservoir for these, according to MV dealer at service time) is also pants. I've bled it with about 500ml going through it a few weeks ago, it lasts for a day (great at first) but by the end presses to the floor faster than Osama bin Laden used to, with as much effect as Gretna Thunberg on turning Jeremy Clarkson into a Greenpeace ambassador.

Now, after use and when parking it up back in the man cave, I pump the brake and hang a 5L tin of paint off the lever. Seems to work, I just accept it as one of the idiosyncrasies of owning a non run of the mill bike. I know it's unacceptable, especially for the price, but hey ho. I can put up with it.

I will experiment with heat shields over the winter, and some fluid once suggested on here somewhere (Putoline I think, grade 4.0 but rated to 5.1??? I'll have to trawl the archives but it was 9nly in the last few months it was suggested)
Amazing reply ever.

Tbh I've already ordered an aftermarket slip on exhaust to try and defect some of the heat, and while I'm in about that area I might see what I can do with some heat reflective material.

I'll post back in the future with my results.

But I totally agree... For the price you pay for a new f3 a working rear brake would be lovely
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 06:17 PM

New Site Garage
Not just F3 related.
My mechanic said its Italian related xD

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:16 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I can lock up my rear wheel with the brake pedal. Is it particularly aggressive? No, but it will make the tire skid if I try.

The front brake is the primary agent for slowing down from speed. Rear brake is really only a chassis stabilizing agent or anti-wheelie device. Unless you are on a Harley or other heavy weight cruiser.....

If your brake fluid is good, your system is bled properly, and you have good brake pads....the rear brake will work as it should.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:16 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
yup. totally useless brake on the rear. on my 2015 f3, my rear caliper, just out of nowhere, cracked in two while i was out on the track and puked its oil all over my rear wheel, despite like never using the rear brake! put a new brembo on and it's just as useless...

2015 F3 800

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode