F3 rear brake performance - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:46 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramharamharam View Post
yup. totally useless brake on the rear. on my 2015 f3, my rear caliper, just out of nowhere, cracked in two while i was out on the track and puked its oil all over my rear wheel, despite like never using the rear brake! put a new brembo on and it's just as useless...
That could have been nasty.

Last sentence made me smile - comforting to know 8m not the only one exasperated with it.

I took a screen shot of the conversation a while ago about the fluid, I will also give this a go over the winter, along with heat shield experiments.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:14 AM

The whole heat thing is BS....

My 1199 Panigale, has the reservoir right next to the engine, and if you have ever ridden one of these bikes you know how hot they get.
Also the brake master is not far off from the massive rear header.. so again i call BS.
but i don't have abs on the bike.

I would think if you have ABS this is more of the module taking away power to the caliper, and giving crap lever pressure, the bike does this to the front as well.
Or it could very well be the brake master itself, not sure which version it is..

2015 MV Agusta F3 800
2011 Triumph 675R
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

It's all BS haha,

Well if anyone finds a solid way to improve the rear brake, let us know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ago-daza View Post
It's all BS haha,

Well if anyone finds a solid way to improve the rear brake, let us know.
Swap pads, dump the ABS if you have it. If i can find the time i will see which brake master is on the back, compared to say my Panigale, which had stellar rear brakes (heat soaked and all).

2015 MV Agusta F3 800
2011 Triumph 675R
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:22 AM

New Site Garage
Here is a service bulletin that might help with bleeding air out of the entire ABS system.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 8645_Service Bulletin n° 189 - Rear brake bleeding procedure.pdf (656.5 KB, 18 views)

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:25 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside43 View Post
That could have been nasty.

Last sentence made me smile - comforting to know 8m not the only one exasperated with it.

I took a screen shot of the conversation a while ago about the fluid, I will also give this a go over the winter, along with heat shield experiments.

To update on this, I can say that the new fluid didn't work for very long. The rear brake on my F3 is almost completely gone again
This leads me to probably pursue getting proper rear-sets from Walter-Moto that the WSBK F3 bikes are using, which mounts the master cylinder to it, instead of the engine.

Someone is saying that the heat thing is bullshit, I'm not too sure before having tried to move the entire system.

Heres my thread by the way:
https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/45-f3...ml#post2602707

Loud pipes don't save lives. Loud pipes just sound cool to egotistical riders like me

Current bike: 2018 MV Agusta F3 800 RC
Previous bikes: 2013 KTM Duke 690, 2015 KTM RC 390
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Established Member

My rear brake is great when I first start riding it, but fades to nothing throughout the day. The more I use it, the faster it fades so if I only use it a handful of times, at the end of the day it's still useable.

No problems whatsoever with the front brake, that's solid all the time (just how I like it). I have the ABS set to level one, but can't honestly say that it's ever kicked in, or not that I've noticed while riding. When I first got the bike, and while running in, I did experiment with the ABS by stomping on the rear brake and feeling the ABS kick in. Just wanted to know what it felt like as never ridden a bike with any electronics before.

Interesting to note that Sneaky Owl didn't have any joy with the fluid change, I obviously missed the update on the thread.

Trouble is, I also like my MV rearsets so reluctant to change. I'll just put up with it for now, and as bike is away for the winter. I'll experiment with heat shields, possibly relocating the reservoir, fluid changes...etc...
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Here is why I believe the heat reason is not valid for the three cylinder bikes: the rear brake master cylinder is mounted just adjacent to the oil sump. The exhaust is located in the other side of that sump. The sump is relatively cool.
On the 4 cylinder bikes, the rear brake master cylinder is mounted directly adjacent to the exhaust and the catalytic converters which adds a ton of heat.
By example, my ABS 2015 B3 800RR brakes were bled and solid. The bike was put away in storage for 11 months. The bike had not been started, yet when the rear brake was actuated it was air bound...after simply sitting still. A quick bleed at the caliper and back in business
jdgun likes this.

Gapalicious 2020 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from Sept. 23-Sept.27, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:47 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ago-daza View Post
Maybe it's just my personal opinion, but I feel the rear brake on my 2018 f3 800 isn't the best,
Quite spongey, and needs pumped a few times to improve bite.
My local dealer says all MVs based on the F3 platform are the same, as the heat soak from engine and exhaust effect the rear brake master cylinder.

Has anyone else experience with this? And any advice on improving the rear brake?

Thanks guys.
One thing I did do that helped was reposition the lever so it sits higher, I put it as high as it will go so it's almost touching the fairing. That has done nothing for the performance but it now starts working where I like the lever to normally sit.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:48 AM
Established Member

It is definitely not a general Italian thing, the F3 is „special“ in that regard. My 2015 F3 had been a nightmare in that regard, freshly bled it was acceptable at most and did not last long. The F4‘s rear stopper is significantly better, but still mediocre compared to e.g. the RSV4 (which is ok for a superbike taking into account that the rear brake on a sports machine is more used as a stabilizing factor).
It is strange that MV repositioned the fluid reservoir‘s position on the E4 models and this is still an issue. Supports Silent‘s analysis that heat is not the root cause. A thing to resolve on the next update of the F3...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode