Frustrating experience - MVAgusta.net
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Frustrating experience

On September 7th, I purchased my 2018 MV Agusta F3 from OC Motorcycle. It was part of their rental bike fleet and as such had accrued 7,800 miles. As a precaution, the clutch was replaced before I bought it. On September 8 I rode it 30 miles to a car show, but noticed the engine was rhythmically surging on the freeway ride down. On my way home I stopped for fuel and the clutch began slipping horribly. I parked it in the garage and notified the dealership. They picked it up on Saturday the 14th. Turns out they had just replaced the clutch plates, but the pressure plate and clutch boss had worn and subsequently destroyed the entire clutch system. Those parts are apparently on back order, indefinitely. MV is apparently aware of the situation, or so the dealership says. Meanwhile I’m out 2 grand this month on a bike I’ve ridden twice for less than 100 miles, when you factor in the down payment, monthly payment, insurance, and the clutch parts that OC Motorcycle said that I need to pay for. Meanwhile my 22,000 mile Ducati Scrambler is still going strong on its original clutch. I am beyond frustrated at this point and I honestly don’t care about this thing anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 04:44 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I think you are getting some smoke blown at you about clutch problems and parts availability. And they should damn well not make you pay for repairs, since they just replaced it all...Their "Come Back" for poor workmanship.

And if the clutch needed replacement at that low a mileage (Rental unit???) Then the bike must have been absolutely abused by the riders who rented it.

I feel sorry for your poor experience, but I really think you need to go back and beat on the dealer's head.

Before you do that, contact MV directly and ask about parts availability. I have heard absolutely nothing about clutch wear problems on F3 or B3 models.
Black_Gold_Saw, jdgun and ViggenF4 like this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 10:40 PM

New Site Garage
Apart from the early clutch basket issues the F3 has a pretty strong clutch, maybe yours had extreme abuse from a renter, our race bike has had no issues in 3 seasons. I really do think that your dealer is feeding you a line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Just got word that the dealership is agreeing to cover the total cost of parts and labor and that a replacement clutch assembly may be available soon. So fingers crossed.

Yeah I’d never before heard of clutch issues on the newest F3s. Apparently they replaced the plates but not the clutch boss or pressure plate. The new pieces weren’t engaging properly with the boss, and that’s what caused the early failure.

Whatever, I just want my bike back.
jdgun likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 08:51 PM

shady workmanship will destroy parts quicker than a fat person at home town buffet.

glad to hear they are covering down on this, but personally i would never buy a demo or bike like yours especially over 7500 miles in a year, as everyone uses it like some kind of rental car, or Bang cock whore.. hopefully you get some trouble free mileage out of her, before she has an issue.

2015 MV Agusta F3 800
2011 Triumph 675R
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 06:30 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgun View Post
shady workmanship will destroy parts quicker than a fat person at home town buffet.

glad to hear they are covering down on this, but personally i would never buy a demo or bike like yours especially over 7500 miles in a year, as everyone uses it like some kind of rental car, or Bang cock whore.. hopefully you get some trouble free mileage out of her, before she has an issue.
Hehe, had a good laugh with your choice of words
ARAMIS likes this.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:15 PM

New Site Garage
You wouldn't normally replace the basket and pressure plate at 7800 miles, I question if they didn't do a proper inspection? Or if they put it together incorrectly. Of course it could have been beat on as a rental bike, but still...

2010 Brutale 990R - 1994 Elefant 900 - 2006 KTM 450EXC Street Legal
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 12:29 PM

It is highly unusual that at that low mileage the pressure plate, clutch basket, or hub need replacement. We have never seen that on the many 3 cyl. MVs we have serviced over the last 6 years. One simple wouldn't expect it. It is therefore an easily overlooked issue and thus a mistake that could happen to anyone. Even the clutch pack should last much longer than that.
Write it off to shit happens and don't be too harsh on OC Motorsports. Since they are a direct competitor of ours, I know them quite well. They are good people and this matter is certainly not something they did intentionally or knowingly.
Just have them check if there may be another underlying problem causing this issue. That quick clutch wear is definitely abnormal. If you want a second opinion, you are welcome to bring your bike down to us to check it out. Feel free to call us: Moto Forza 760-746-6001
nigelrb and falcn like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2much View Post
It is highly unusual that at that low mileage the pressure plate, clutch basket, or hub need replacement. We have never seen that on the many 3 cyl. MVs we have serviced over the last 6 years. One simple wouldn't expect it. It is therefore an easily overlooked issue and thus a mistake that could happen to anyone. Even the clutch pack should last much longer than that.
Write it off to shit happens and don't be too harsh on OC Motorsports. Since they are a direct competitor of ours, I know them quite well. They are good people and this matter is certainly not something they did intentionally or knowingly.
Just have them check if there may be another underlying problem causing this issue. That quick clutch wear is definitely abnormal. If you want a second opinion, you are welcome to bring your bike down to us to check it out. Feel free to call us: Moto Forza 760-746-6001
Massimo, Danny, and Andrew at OC were are super helpful with the clutch issues. And I agree that its something that could happen to anyone. I was just rubbed the wrong way when it was asked that I cover most of the clutch parts, and when I asked why, the reply was "well because we gave you such a good deal on the bike." In my opinion, something that breaks down in under 100 miles and then gets stuck at the shop for a month is not generally considered a good deal. I had to raise the issue with MV USA before it was decided that the parts would be covered under warranty.

And I still won't be getting the bike back until the end of next week at the earliest.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:08 AM

I call bullshit on the clutch being smoked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode