Coolant issues - MVAgusta.net
 8Likes
  • 3 Post By XPARAUK
  • 2 Post By Black_Gold_Saw
  • 3 Post By silentservice703

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Coolant issues

Ok so I have a 18 plate f3 800rc, I have only ridden it a handful of times with no issues so far.

Today I rode around 27 miles to work in good traffic conditions and good weather conditions, when I got to my work place, the bike had leaked quite a bit of coolant, have been told it could be the garage overfilling the reservoir and the bike just getting rid of the excess.

The temp gauge was not indicating and issue either so I went with this explanation, on returning home from work the same thing happened only this time I could actually hear what sounded very much like boiling liquid coming from a small reservoir tucked into the fairing...

That can't be normal, can it!!? Please help any thoughts on this welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:45 AM

I believe that the coolant level should only touch the bottom of the LOW LEVEL indicator on the header tank, when cold. If it is above that level, I believe it will do as you descibed.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:53 AM

New Site Garage
As XPARAUK said, dont overfill the coolant reservoir.
Place it directly onto the MIN level line and not any higher. (Left side it is shown)

When the bike gets to operating temperature and you get to a stand still in traffic it rises to about 3/4th of the reservoir.
Fill it any higher than MIN level and it will spill coolant.

Not sure if your dealer has filled it all the way to the top. They should know better!
Or if you yourself "topped" it off.

Now you know though

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:59 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
On another note, aside from the good advice above, there could be a problem with your pressure cap. If you are hearing the sound of boiling, then the system is not staying at a sufficient pressure to stop that vaporization. Boiling cannot occur below 212*F or 100*C as a norm unless one is significantly above sea level.

Your coolant system will have temperatures above that in normal conditions which is why a pressure cap is used.

Pull your pressure cap, clean and inspect the contact surfaces and then reinstall the cap. If your dealer recently serviced your bike as indicated, then the cap could be loose, dirty, or corroded.

Once that is verified, we can move on to more obtuse possibilities.

Did your dealer do a coolant change, or just top it off?

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Ahh thanks very much for the advice, I didn't buy it from a MV dealership, it was a bike showroom, they may have gave it a service and thought it was low so topped it up. I will also inspect the pressure cap thank you all so much for your advice.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

So would you say the bike is ok to keep riding and it will get rid of the excess coolant over time on it own. Confused as to why it hasn't done this from day from day one but I guess it's been pretty warm here lately.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:28 PM

F3 RC800 Love the red wheels Very sharp looking bike AND a very capable bike. Many people make the mistake of thinking MV AGUSTA motorcycles are all style and no substance . I have shocked many R1, GSXR, CBR1000RR and ZX10RR owner/riders with my F4RR/ F4RC spec MV AGUSTA racing them on twisty roads. FYI my riding skills have gone to shit. My lower spine is shot to hell so its the bikes superior handling not my skills as a rider .

BTW .I upgraded the OEM water pump to the racing water pump and IMHO its well worth the 400$ Also installed the silicon hoses but I do not think it improves in engine cooling Silicon hoses just look cool.lol

Last edited by [email protected]; 07-12-2019 at 01:33 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:48 AM

Unless your hearing boiling sounds, it would appear it's the normal MV cooling system ooeratiin., So should be safe to ride.

Where are you based? General form is to add your bikes and location either in the signature and profile.

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Re-Mapped with ECU studio (F4 RC base ROM)
QS & Blipper now working with ECU studio and Durashift sensor

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
F3 RC800 Love the red wheels Very sharp looking bike AND a very capable bike. Many people make the mistake of thinking MV AGUSTA motorcycles are all style and no substance . I have shocked many R1, GSXR, CBR1000RR and ZX10RR owner/riders with my F4RR/ F4RC spec MV AGUSTA racing them on twisty roads. FYI my riding skills have gone to shit. My lower spine is shot to hell so its the bikes superior handling not my skills as a rider .

BTW .I upgraded the OEM water pump to the racing water pump and IMHO its well worth the 400$ Also installed the silicon hoses but I do not think it improves in engine cooling Silicon hoses just look cool.lol
Depends on the bike! The F3 waterpump is integrated with the oil pump and the common advice from the F4 forums to replace/ upgrade the water pump doesn't apply here.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

I live in Hampshire in the UK, and I have been hearing a boiling sound from a plastic reservoir by the handle bars. Think I will book her in for a service and get it checked out.

Thank you all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode