2019 F3 to have IMU unit - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By crash2much

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

2019 F3 to have IMU unit

Just read that the 2019 MV AGUSTA F3 675/800 will come stock with IMU = a Inertial Measurement Unit which works with the ABS AND TRACTION CONTROL electronics and its supposed to make them work much better . How? article lacked this information, but I am certain one of our members will have knolage/info on the subject lol. Take care jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 01:32 PM

Depending on the exact IMU used (I assume they will use the same as the f4) the IMU provides data about the movement of the body. They tend to use 3 axis gyros, 3 axis accelerometers and sometimes magnetic sensors, all normally temperature compensated.

This means that you can provide data to the ECU, not just basic speed, eg wheel speed from both front and rear wheels, but combine that with the IMU data (acceleration, angular rate, delta theta, delta velocity). So rather than just knowing what speed the bike is going you know the dynamics of the movement e.g direction, acceleration, rate of change. This means it's a lot easier to predict traction or loss of it. It's still very complex as there are many factors including tyres and tarmac etc which can be different for each competitor and tarmac grip levels varies corner by corner on some tracks.

The best analogy I have is that of an engine. Older engines didn't have or need crank or cam sensors.
Adding in those sensors along with others allows the ECU to control the fuel more accurately and predict what is required for a given set of conditions.

At the end of the day it means the maths gets more complex, and we get closer to controlling the edge of performance, but there are still many approximations being made. And of course there is still the meat sack controling the throttle, brake and weight distribution, which is the thing I find hardest to control.

Arron

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Mapped with ECUstudio
QS & Blipper working with ECUstudio

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750

Last edited by dansoarr; 01-05-2019 at 01:34 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:40 PM

2019 F3 will NOT have an IMU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2much View Post
Well that is pretty pathetic, being this is not exactly a cheap bike to begin with, and comes with pretty much the bottom of the barrel suspension and brakes.

2015 MV Agusta F3 800
2012 Ducati Panigale 1199S
2011 Triumph 675R
2009 Yamaha Road Star Warrior
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Sorry if info was incorrect . I was just passing on what I read in article. Now that I look at it I think this article was in the sister site of Asphalt and rubber and we know that site is just a Moto Gossip site that makes shit uo as they go. It makes sense NOT to have any more electronics on the 800/675cc class as the cost of middle weight are so close to 1000cc class people bought 1000cc bikes and the middleweight class sales plummeted.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2much View Post
Where did you get that info from? I also read somewhere couple of months ago 2019 was getting an IMU

That said it could just be the MV marketing team dreaming up electronics again like the launch control, wheelie control etc the 2012 bike was meant to come with.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:10 AM

New Site Garage
It's easy to add onto the F3. Other than the IMU all other sensors are already in place. 6 axis gyros exist already at low cost and are extremely accurate. There is no reason not to other than buyers ego.

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 12:58 PM

Straight from the horse's mouth. Head of engineering at the factory.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 01:00 PM

Not completely disagreeing with you, but the same could be said for the brakes on Ducati's 959 models.
esq'z me likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in