Consider racing F3 - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:19 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider78rr View Post
The F3 I was going to buy has been at the dealer for almost 3 months waiting for a warranty sprag. I passed on it and bout an S1000RR. I love the looks and sounds of the F3 but I'm not down with the problems. Hopefully some day they will have things ironed out, cause I'd love to have one!!!
It is MV's major flaw in my opinion. Warranty waiting time. I had to wait 3 months for a servo motor replacement. Not the biggest issue to work around but having the warning on your dash and not able to see anything else is pretty annoying.
And the waiting time/repair time is what I believe is costing MV alot of costumers. I've seen multiple stories on different forums with people asking about MV experience since they're interested in buying an MV. All replies are basically the same, great bikes but if an warranty item needs to be replace it takes to much time and you're missing lots of riding time.

Though I have to say if you waited it out you probably recieved the newest sprag clutch and it suppose to be alot better.
A good battery with enough punch would also help alot.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:12 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Gold_Saw View Post

Though I have to say if you waited it out you probably recieved the newest sprag clutch and it suppose to be alot better.
A good battery with enough punch would also help alot.
My 2018 Euro4 spec engine with the so called improved sprag may say something different. Just had it replaced 🙂

I think MV will never be able to sort out the sprag issue without a design change of engine too...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Really did want to get the F3 to race even knowing repairs would be more if I go down, but wondering if I am going to be able to finish a race each time I am out because of these issues is disconcerting.

Current:

2014 Aprilia RSV4 R
2007 MV Agusta F41000R

Previous:

2004 Suzuki Boulevard M50
2001 Ducati 748
1991 Suzuki GSXR 1100
1988 Kawasaki EX500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richd748 View Post
Really did want to get the F3 to race even knowing repairs would be more if I go down, but wondering if I am going to be able to finish a race each time I am out because of these issues is disconcerting.
It's not that serious. I have 4 solid seasons on mine.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 05:36 AM

New Site Garage
Is the bike new with warranty? Iff so get it
Most of the common issues you can fix yourself if they occur and you will have piece of mind that if anything major that goes wrong it will be covered.
My shop has a 2014 that they been tracking since day one and has no issues.
By prepping your bike for race you will eliminate most of the common issues.
Replace stock battery with a high out put lithium battery.
Exhaust servo gone when you put on your race exhaust.
Front wheel speed sensor cable zip tie it better when you have body work off.
Bleed rear brake as service bulletin shows with some high quality fluid.
Sprag get it replaced under warranty or replace yourself when you have tank off when doing your air intake system.
Use something to coat the inner tank to prevent expansion.
If your engine sucks a valve you will have a brand new engine for next season if it has warranty.
Unfortunately those we're all the issues I had with my 2014 but most were easy to fix and I did get a 2018 engine as replacement wheny valve dropped.
It sounds a lot worse then it actually was. The worst thing was waiting 3 months for engine which I was due for factory being closed in August and MV holding off on sending my engine until the latest redesigned head was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richd748 View Post
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:33 AM

As per any forum and owners group they will never be awash with good stories, mainly owners who have had issues or former owners who for some reason want to carry on complaining.

I can't speak for the sprag issue myself as I have 12,000 miles on my 2103 675 on the original sprag and haven't updated the mapping for the shorter start times. The bike is on a tender these days but I did replace the stock battery after a year to be safe.

I did have the rippling gas tank issues (replace in 2 weeks out of warranty), but as you are racing this may not really be too much of an issue. It's not like it deforms so much that it turns into a bulging mess. The worst I have seen is ripples to the lines in sunlight or to touch. This could be a lot worse in the US as we only have 5% ethanol in the UK (at the moment).

The valve issue seems a bit sporadic but again, higher mileage and no issues on mine.

As B_G_S says the major issue is availability of parts, even under warranty. The supply is just very unreliable. With any racing you will need a stack of spares and there will be unexpected needs. If you're near summer getting these could be tricky, especially outside Europe. Apparently MV's new logistics policy is supposed to be allowing parts supply in a set, fast SLA, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I love the brand and have had great experiences with it and don't NEED my bike. But when my TPS finally died (in fairness I was told about it ages ago) it failed on the way to a bike show (typical) but there was only 1 unit in the whole of the UK and no one could get an ETA on a replacement.

"Way out running!"

F3 675 - 2013
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

I have ordered parts through startwintrading for my 2007 F4 and they usually arrive within several weeks, much quicker than the dealer could offer. Wonder if this would be the same of the F3? Yeah, the tank issue is not much of a concern, same on the Aprilia, replaced once under warranty and did it again .

https://www.startwintrading.com

Current:

2014 Aprilia RSV4 R
2007 MV Agusta F41000R

Previous:

2004 Suzuki Boulevard M50
2001 Ducati 748
1991 Suzuki GSXR 1100
1988 Kawasaki EX500
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 11:52 AM

Aprilia, Triumph, KTM, Ducati all suffered from the tank issue. The MV issue was solved apparently. My new tank is fine, but I wonder if that's only for 5%. I know the US has higher ethanol contents.

"Way out running!"

F3 675 - 2013

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode