800 test at Road America results... - MVAgusta.net
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

800 test at Road America results...

So I was pretty disappointed and I wanted to run this past some of you. I have 3 issues with the bike. This was not my bike but a local racer/track guy that let me have a go on it as I'm thinking I may want one.

First: I have NEVER ridden a bike that vibrates so much. Even Ducati's don't vibrate that much. My throttle hand was falling asleep so bad I may have lost some feeling in it or something at the time. There are some other factors at play here because my CBR600RR was doing the same thing but not nearly as bad (like half as bad). I had a Daytona 675 and it was smooth as an I4. Are these things supposed to rattle themselves to bits???

Second: The quick shifter cut was terrible!!! It was so aggressive it was almost scary how hard it cut in. It always was very inconsistent. Now with this said My CBR is the first bike I have had with a quickshifter and I was still tickling the lever earlier in the day and getting some cut on that. But by the time I was on the F3 I had trained myself to keep my foot away from the lever. We aren't sure which ECU software version the bike has on it at the moment and it does not have a tune or Corse map.

Third: My CBR600RR (Full exhaust, HRC ecu, Power Commander, Anitori QS) felt as fast or faster then the F3. On Paper the 800 should have the CBR by 15-20 HP I believe. The gearing is stock still and like I said stock (maybe older) map on the ecu. I didn't look at the setting of the electronics but the owner told me he put in the mode he races in (No TC blah blah blah.....). When I cranked on the thing it totally felt like it was being held back until way up high in the revs then it would start to go, but not with too much gusto. It was suggested that I was in the wrong gears. Could have been, though I'm pretty good at gear selection and was using the same gear I would have used on my CBR. Granted I was riding a more point and shoot style but that shouldn't have hurt the bikes drive out of corners.

Any wise words? It seemed very strange.....

For those of you that don't know Road America here is chase footage of me from that weekend on my CBR.

Last edited by Strider78rr; 06-14-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 04:16 PM

I bought my F3 800 without ever having ridden one... first few rides were a complete disappointment... crap fueling, bike felt weak powerwise everywhere, only strong point was the handling, and that needed attention also.. My expectations of a 130rwhp supersport from the get go, ended up being total disappointment.
Yes the stock fueling is a let down, the power is not there, the throttle response is not there and it is a bit buzzy.

Given i went with a full system, air filter and tune all at once, but afterwards the bike was the beast i was hoping for.. amazing throttle response, powerwheelies 1st and 2nd gear and just smiles all over.. but that was what i was expecting from the get go.
I have yet to get a trackday on her, but that is coming up quick. bike looks to excite and perform for sure. after spending some serious money..

sadly it is reminescent Ducati stuff, flawed from the factory but fixable, if your willing to spend the $
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Interesting comment. I was ready to ride this bike love it and go buy one. This was quite an eye opener. Ok so now I have to decide which bike I want to plow a fortune into, an 848 or an F3 hahahaha.

Anyone else have anything to add on my original observations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 08:22 AM

New Site Garage
I've ridden both. I think there are a few threads on the comparisons so I won't go in depth. I love the F3 much more than the panigale. Maybe my bike is fueled well? Everyone who's ridden it says it has more torque than expected and fueled well. Not just myself. So maybe it has to do with modes or ECU revisions?

My bigger reason to like the F3 is actually about fit. I think most bikes will be faster than the rider especially in a sport bike sense of things. We have a variety of bikes on all our group rides. Low power to big power. In technical aspects of the ride there really isn't much a separation in distance from lack of power. Most of the distance is from rider differences. The F3 fits my body well. The panigale does not fit me so well. Sport bikes are like suits. Should fit like a tailored suit!

Sit on both of the bikes and see what feels right.

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 03:36 PM

make sure you are not on RAIN mode and TC is off. if you are in rain mode TC will be set to 8 and can't be changed, also the power will be reduced.

check the manual if you are not sure.

You want to have the riding mode in N(ormal) or C(ustom) and TC set to not higher than 2 if you are on the track.
if you post a picture of your dash (with ignition on) that would help a lot
PTsalas, PTsalas, airjawed and 1 others like this.

MV F3 800 / 2014 / Quick shift up AND down working
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:47 PM

New Site Garage
Excellent point. Dealer I bought my MV from actually said R was Race and I corrected them that it was Rain on the MV. They are a Ducati/Triumph shop so them getting it wrong isn't a shock. I think Ducati or Aprilia actually has R as race on some models and R as rain on others. Everyone really needs to open up the owners manual and set these things correctly before going on a ride no matter the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephalem View Post
make sure you are not on RAIN mode and TC is off. if you are in rain mode TC will be set to 8 and can't be changed, also the power will be reduced.

check the manual if you are not sure.

You want to have the riding mode in N(ormal) or C(ustom) and TC set to not higher than 2 if you are on the track.
if you post a picture of your dash (with ignition on) that would help a lot

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:44 AM

New Site Garage
First: I have NEVER ridden a bike that vibrates so much.

Second: The quick shifter cut was terrible!!!

Third: My CBR600RR (Full exhaust, HRC ecu, Power Commander, Anitori QS) felt as fast or faster then the F3.

Any wise words? It seemed very strange.....

Your F3 should be very smooth. Something isn't as it should be. You need to check everything that could cause this problem. Even at top speed at RA my F3 is smooth and strong.

Stock QS pretty much sucks on track. Some folks have ok luck with them, but if they had a very good QS to compare it with they might change their opinion about that. I've posted a lot about this subject in the past. There are better options FlashTune, Translogic, HM, Cordona etc. I ended up using the Cordona system and wired it independently of the ECU. Works perfectly on track, wouldn't know how it works on the street. Cordona build the QS that some Moto2 teams use.

Have your bike tuned, get a good ECU flash or a performance ECU and this problem should disappear. You may consider getting someone who really knows the F3 ECU workings like Kyle Passerini or Bruce Myers to do one for you. Worth every penny at twice the price! LOL

These things are Italian thus some intervention may be required to get the performance you are looking for. The F3 is 98% there, find that other 2% and you'll probably have the bike you've imagined it would be. Best of luck

D23
CCS/ASRA #19
'Yamaha R1 Superbike
MV F3RC
Zuma 125
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducati23 For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Great info here thanks. This was NOT my bike but a friends. I took him for his word that it was in the raciest mode and didn't look at the dash. Another buddy of mine rented one in Spain and from everything he told me about that bike leads me to believe there is definitely something up with this one.

I'm working on the owner of this bike to bring it to the dealer to get the maps updated, hopefully I can get another shot at it!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 11:54 AM

New Site Garage
Wait. You rode somebody else's bike, didn't know whether the Map Selector and Traction Control were set properly, posted that there were three issues you have with the bike compared to your CBR, and posted a video of yourself on your CBR? Just want to make sure I understand this thread.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Correct. I was told by the owner that he just leaves the bike in the settings that he races it in as it is not on the streets anymore. I maybe foolishly assumed he knew what he was doing haha. The video was for reference of Road America so people could see what kind of track it is. I thought I mentioned that the bike wasn't mine woops. I'll fix it for future reference.

Last edited by Strider78rr; 06-14-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode