Starter settings - MVAgusta.net
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Starter settings

Hello All,

If you didn't see my intro, my name is Cherie, I'm based in Surrey, have been riding since the 1970's on a huge variety of machines. I have just bought myself a 2015 F3 with 3,000 miles on the clock. I picked it up this morning, but sadly won't really get a chance to go for a proper blast until tomorrow.

Anyhow, I have a question for the amassed expertise of the F3 Forum. What are the views on the various mappings? I have started with Normal but wondered if anyone has used the Custom settings at all? I would be interested to hear your experiences with this.

Thanks

Cherie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:53 AM

Congrats, 675 or 800? do you have a steering damper?

Race mapping, TC either off or on level 1, engine braking set to min, abs on race.

Depending on the experience you want, everything off and no engine braking makes for a truly fun ride.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, it's the 800. No steering damper yet, will see whether I need one as time goes on.

Everything off sounds like a bit of a roller coaster ride, but may well be fun - always up for a challenge! I am thinking I will work my way through all the settings and annotate them so I can get a good baseline and then, if standard settings do not suit my riding style look at setting up a custom map. Do you run yours on the settings described above?

Cherie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 03:26 PM

^reading between the lines of that I’m certain you will want a damper on it. I won’t ride anything with more than 50hp without a damper. If your hard on the power computing out of a turn or turning at all and the front wheel is barely touching the ground and you have any force on the bars it’s gonna dance in your hands. Every bike will do it and the ultra short wheelbase of the f3 will be very prone to it especially w that fat powerband it’s got.

Spend the money I promise it’s worth the investment and everyone here will back that up.

Had my 675 shipped and before it was delivered I had the damper on the way before levers or anything else
CherieWhitby and CherieWhitby like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 03:44 PM

There is no way I could ride my F3 800 with ecu flashed, air filter and full system without a damper. 1-3rd gear has the front wheel off the ground or skimming once you start riding the bike. Bike should come with one standard!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 03:52 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCBC View Post
^reading between the lines of that I’m certain you will want a damper on it. I won’t ride anything with more than 50hp without a damper. If your hard on the power computing out of a turn or turning at all and the front wheel is barely touching the ground and you have any force on the bars it’s gonna dance in your hands. Every bike will do it and the ultra short wheelbase of the f3 will be very prone to it especially w that fat powerband it’s got.

Spend the money I promise it’s worth the investment and everyone here will back that up.

Had my 675 shipped and before it was delivered I had the damper on the way before levers or anything else
Sorry, but I won't back that up. A properly set up suspension will help more. Unless you are riding a bike with the power of Marco Melandri, or you are gripping your bars with the intent of extrusion, you should not experience head shake.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 04:34 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I would start off with the mapping set at factory standard (read the owner manual) and then experiment from there as you get to know the bike better.

Steering dampers are a sometimes needed sometimes not thing. The bikes with narrow clip-ons need them much more than bikes with wide bars (Brutale!).

If your suspension is set-up for you and your riding style you may not need one. Go for a ride and see.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Interesting views on the steering damper. So far I've never needed one on the road, but will see how I feel once I've put a few more miles on the bike tomorrow.

As far as the suspension is concerned, I will be doing what I always do, standard settings and then, if I feel the need, make one change at a time and see how it feels.

Roll on tomorrow morning. Off out for a full day on the bike with my husband and an old friend and possibly my brother. Will let you all know how it goes.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 06:12 PM

I got the below custom settings somewhere else on this forum, can't remember where. I currently ride like this and have two other mates on F3 800's that have also changed to this - it 'dampens' the throttle response a bit (on sports mode the smallest bump with a small throttle movement would immediately see the bike trying to accelerate and spin up).

Power Mode: Custom
Traction Control: 1
Gas Sensitivity: Normal
Engine Brake: Sport
Maximum Torque: Sport
Engine Response: Slow
RPM Limiter: Normal

Faster and Faster untill the fear of death subsides.....
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 06:50 PM

New Site Garage
I ride with custom settings on F3 800. I do have the latest ECU flash though which makes the engine run crisp at lower rpm. If your ecu is not with the latest tune you may want to reduce throttle and engine sensitivities.

Power Mode: Custom
Traction Control: 3
Gas Sensitivity: Sport
Engine Brake: Sport
Maximum Torque: Sport
Engine Response: Fast
RPM Limiter: Sport

ABS Normal

I find no interference from ECU while riding ever. I can wheelie and I can enter and exits turns as much as my tires will allow without intervention. This is for riding on the street on technical sections.

Actually the only times I've felt intervention is if I'm on the gas and go over a gap or a crest and the rear wheel lightens up. The ECU will intervene for maybe 1 second and then resume.

I believe using sport mode is the same as what I've put in as custom mode.

Do you know if you have latest ECU tune?

I found that changing from the stock tires to Michelin Power RS has greatly improved the front end and the tendency to head shake. I do not ride with a steering damper but if it was there I would keep it. The key is to always be neutral on the clip ons. If you are applying pressure in your wrists and the front gets light it will want to head shake. But like I said I'm generally neutral and have changed the tires with great results.

Last edited by airjawed; 04-05-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode