Considering a F3 800 or a Panagale 899/959 - MVAgusta.net
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Considering a F3 800 or a Panagale 899/959

I have a B3 675, very much in love with her.

After my first track day I've learned what they are capable of, and also started to realise the limitations of a naked riding on a track.

I am seriously considering to buy another sportbike so that I can keep my B3 for street riding.

I know asking this question on this forum is going to get bias responses. Therefore I am hoping someone who has a Panagale and a F3 can share their experiences for owning both bikes.

Also since my B3 is the naked version of the F3 (despite different mapping and tuning), am thinking whether Panagale will give me more fun factors and different experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 05:12 AM

G'day Flexi, my brother in law went for the 959 pani after considering the 800 F3, and he loves it. I have only ridden his a couple of times and it is definitely a lot of fun to ride, and most certainly has a more sophisticated electronics package than the F3. However after riding it for about 20 minutes on a warm day, I couldn't wait to get off it, as it was cooking my inner thigh.
If you are only doing track days on it, in full leathers, this may not be an issue for you. A lot of street riding, particularly in a warm climate may be though. Andre has added a rapidbike tuning module to his since I rode it, and says it does run noticably cooler now, so that's something to consider also.
I would try to get as long of a test ride as you can on both bikes before making a decision if I were in your position.
Good luck!!
Attached Images

flexi, flexi, RCEE and 5 others like this.

We're all here, but we're not all there.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 09:29 AM

If your intentions are for trackday fun I would say you will find an easier time on a F3 800... The 800 is same bike (f3 675) barring HP and lower Rpm than the smaller cc bike, but with that I rather have the 130rwhp and torque over the peakier less of both out of the box. I have a 1199S Panigale, and given it is a slightly different beast than the panigales you mention (ok 40rwhp more), but comfort wise I take the F3, if I want a faster lap time I will take the F3.
I do think the reliability will be better on the Ducati and dealer support is also better. Both are fun and good looking bikes, never thought I would say this... but might be cheaper to run the Panigale on track if you have any OOOOPS and need some used parts.

Still find the Panigale 1199 to be one of the best looking bikes ever built.
Attached Images

flexi, flexi, RCEE and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 03:08 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
My current ride is a 899 Panigale. Before i owned a F3 675.

I have done some good [street] millage on both bikes. The first time i jumped on the 899 it felt like a much bigger bike as the F3, in fact the Duc is a bit longer and you definitely feel that. The seating position on the 899 is slightly more forward, you lean more on your wrists.Because of the F3's shorter wheelbase it's a more nervous bike compared to the 899. The F3 wheelie easy, and is also very corner happy.

F3 675:
+ Styling
+ Seating position
+ Intake sound
+ Brakes
+ Bike feels very alive
- Critical reliability issue's reported

899:
+ Mature Bike
+ Engine is very refined
+ Traction control
+ This bike is very loud by default.
+ Smooth gearbox
+Steering damper
- Front brake
- Slow Quickshifter
- Heavy Clutch operation

flexi and flexi like this.

XJ750SECA --> RD350LC YPVS --> CBX1000F --> CBX550F2 --> RD350RR --> RD500YPVS --> FZ400R --> F3675 --> 899PANIGALE --> 959Panigale

Last edited by RCEE; 01-08-2018 at 03:22 PM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGOSTINI View Post
G'day Flexi, my brother in law went for the 959 pani after considering the 800 F3, and he loves it. I have only ridden his a couple of times and it is definitely a lot of fun to ride, and most certainly has a more sophisticated electronics package than the F3. However after riding it for about 20 minutes on a warm day, I couldn't wait to get off it, as it was cooking my inner thigh.
If you are only doing track days on it, in full leathers, this may not be an issue for you. A lot of street riding, particularly in a warm climate may be though. Andre has added a rapidbike tuning module to his since I rode it, and says it does run noticably cooler now, so that's something to consider also.
I would try to get as long of a test ride as you can on both bikes before making a decision if I were in your position.
Good luck!!
Definitely will test both bikes. I tested the F3 800 last year. However it will be better to test them in quick succession. I think the bike will be ridden mostly on the street, with occassional trackdays like 2-3 times a year.

The heating can be a concern for me because when I go for a ride, I ride up to 200km (at least 5 hours).

Problem is MV run test days and I can test in windy roads which I am very familiar with, however I might not have the same opportunity with the Pani... I will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgun View Post
If your intentions are for trackday fun I would say you will find an easier time on a F3 800... The 800 is same bike (f3 675) barring HP and lower Rpm than the smaller cc bike, but with that I rather have the 130rwhp and torque over the peakier less of both out of the box. I have a 1199S Panigale, and given it is a slightly different beast than the panigales you mention (ok 40rwhp more), but comfort wise I take the F3, if I want a faster lap time I will take the F3.
I do think the reliability will be better on the Ducati and dealer support is also better. Both are fun and good looking bikes, never thought I would say this... but might be cheaper to run the Panigale on track if you have any OOOOPS and need some used parts.

Still find the Panigale 1199 to be one of the best looking bikes ever built.
Definitely considering the F3 800 over the 675. I am lucky I live in Sydney, and the dealer support is very good. The guys running the dealership are top guys, professional, good service and they know their stuff. And my B3 675 only had some minor issues, and were all fixed under warranty. I had a look at the 2nd hand market and there are not too many pre-owned F3, so I might have to buy brand new. On the contrary, there are around 28 pre-owned Pani 899/959 to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCEE View Post
My current ride is a 899 Panigale. Before i owned a F3 675.

I have done some good [street] millage on both bikes. The first time i jumped on the 899 it felt like a much bigger bike as the F3, in fact the Duc is a bit longer and you definitely feel that. The seating position on the 899 is slightly more forward, you lean more on your wrists.Because of the F3's shorter wheelbase it's a more nervous bike compared to the 899. The F3 wheelie easy, and is also very corner happy.

F3 675:
+ Styling
+ Seating position
+ Intake sound
+ Brakes
+ Bike feels very alive
- Critical reliability issue's reported

899:
+ Mature Bike
+ Engine is very refined
+ Traction control
+ This bike is very loud by default.
+ Smooth gearbox
+Steering damper
- Front brake
- Slow Quickshifter
- Heavy Clutch operation
I am 5 foot 7, medium built. I sat on both bikes and both feels good to me. Questions for you
1. How do you find the seating position on the Pani and F3?
2. Do you need to change the rearset so that you can grip the tank?
3. Do you also find the Pani more street friendly and easier to maintain?
4. what modification did you have on your both bikes?
5. Does it cook your inner thighs? and how do you deal with it?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 05:51 PM

New Site Garage
The February 2018 issue of Fast Bikes magazine has a comparison of the 2018 Euro 4 versions of Ducati 959 vs. MV F3-800. They rated the Duc 9/10 and the MV 9.5/10. The MV won on braking, agility, and fun. The Duc won on stability. They tied on performance.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"

Last edited by italia; 01-08-2018 at 05:54 PM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by italia View Post
The February 2018 issue of Fast Bikes magazine has a comparison of the 2018 Euro 4 versions of Ducati 959 vs. MV F3-800. They rated the Duc 9/10 and the MV 9.5/10. The MV won on braking, agility, and fun. The Duc won on stability. They tied on performance.
is the MV F3 Euro 4 version as well?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 06:13 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexi View Post
is the MV F3 Euro 4 version as well?
Yes. They comment that the MVICS system in the 2018 Euro4 F3-800 is upgraded and has better throttle feel, but that the Euro4 noise requirements (MV had to reduce the F3's noise by 48%) seemed to have resulted in a very slight mid-range power loss. But they also comment that the quick shifter and blipper are noticeably better: "beautifully crisp and precise, yet ludicrously light action ... It's stunning".

I get my Fast Bikes digital subscription from Zinio. You can probably buy the one issue online for about $5.00 - https://www.zinio.com/
cavlino and cavlino like this.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"

Last edited by italia; 01-08-2018 at 06:15 PM.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 01:24 AM

No doubt about in my opinion you should get the F3 and if I was in your shoes probably trading the B3 for F3 RC. The Panigale is a nice bike but needs an extra effort to make everything right. On the other hand the F3 is the perfect track weapon and also looks fantastic
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 01:35 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
The Panigale is a nice bike but needs an extra effort to make everything right.
.......Please explain what needs to be done to make the Panigale "right"?
nigelrb and nigelrb like this.

XJ750SECA --> RD350LC YPVS --> CBX1000F --> CBX550F2 --> RD350RR --> RD500YPVS --> FZ400R --> F3675 --> 899PANIGALE --> 959Panigale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode