Steely F3 mods thread - need the forum's help (also useful stuff to share) - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Steely F3 mods thread - need the forum's help (also useful stuff to share)

2016 F3 800, red/silver
Mods: tail tidy, belly pan went from black to silver.

I wanna paint paint the mirrors red, add a discreet front/rear camera "dashcam"

Mirrors:
Bought an extra mirror set (from a fellow forum member) with plan to disassemble and paint red. Know a guy (linked below) in san francisco who has restored bikes for the likes of Jay Leno, but obviously isn't cheap... I was pointed to another body shop, but they told me that mixing a matching pint of red would be $300. I gave them the "palinal" code listed on the bike, but they had no idea what that meant. Anybody else have a better deal getting their mirrors color coded?

Camera:
Bought a discreet front and rear camera off amazon... for purposes of insurance, catching bad drivers, or my buddies eating dust ...
It works off of a wire that is hot when the key is on, shuts down when key's off... So obviously can't go straight to the battery. Anyone know a good place to access when key is on? I know the stock battery doesn't live so long. Hoping to have this mapped out before it's time to replace & do all at once...

knowledge to share:

Pulling the mirror glass off:
There's no way to disassemble the mirrors without removing the glass, which is held with foam adhesive...
If you have a GoPro suction cup, it is not too difficult. Dont try to pry it, you will likely break the glass and need a new mirror assembly...
Heat with a hair dryer/heat gun. Gently pull from each side with a suction cup. Go slow. You'll hear a sound when it starts to break free.

Painter:
Pete! He's in SF, and his shop is like a museum! He can often work around the decals... which can sometimes save you money. I had him fix some scratches on an MV silver fairing on my F4, and it was undetectable...
https://www.yelp.com/biz/underground...-san-francisco

Here's a shot of the bike (rear pegs stay on... Needed to lift/angle the bike into the shed, and often have a passenger)
Attached Images

Nighthawk 650 '83 prune/gunk
FZR 600 '93 red/white
F4 750 '03 red/silver
F3 800 '16 ABS red/silver

Last edited by bioluminescence; 09-28-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 03:24 PM

Looking forward to seeing the mirrors painted on the bike and possibly doing that also. Any other plans?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
maybe some frame sliders, but I'm kinda on the fence about those...
After the fender eliminator, I'm happy with the looks. I think MV has the best looking stock exhaust...
Gonna shop around for a painter on the right budget, and post photos when I get the mirrors done.

FZR 600 '93 red/white
F4 750 '03 red/silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 09:01 PM

New Site Garage
I've had the mirrors colour coded on my F3

The painter I use has a colour spectrophotometer (I think that's what is called) so he took a reading from front fairing to get a colour match

Money well spent
Attached Images

Chris
Tasty F3

4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:02 PM

New Site Garage
Extremely good looking bike Tasty.

Enjoying my RC!
The Following User Says Thank You to NicholasF4 For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I do like those red body mirrors! very cool
@airjawed asked me about the inside of the mirror, so here's a photo

still trying to find a good wire goes hot when the key is on to link my front/rear camera setup to
Attached Images

FZR 600 '93 red/white
F4 750 '03 red/silver
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 05:44 AM

New Site Garage
Thanks for the pic bioluminescence! I think the bolt in the corner holds the mounting block and that is the area where mine is loosening up.

What part of the bike do you need power from for the camera? I would look at the running lights and take power in the tail section there if the electronics where to be place under seat. Or take off the headlight but it will only power up when bike is running... my headlight turns on after bike is actually running. Can use high beam as a pause button!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Established Member

@bioluminescence what camera's are you intending using. I've got 2CH Blackvue hardwire set-ups on a couple of my cars and have been thinking about getting cameras on the F3, interested to read about what you are going with.

F3 800 MY16
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
@anomorphic it was a birthday gift bought on amazon. Kinda generic, but tested it out, and does the job.

Thinking of putting the lcd deep into the corner inside the nose. Back camera to passenger peg, or maybe under tail if... Front camera on inner side of side fairing. Planning to try next time I need to take the tank off.

Seen too many things on the road. Ideally want a camera on all my vehicles.
Attached Images

Anamorphic and Anamorphic like this.

FZR 600 '93 red/white
F4 750 '03 red/silver
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioluminescence View Post
@anomorphic it was a birthday gift bought on amazon. Kinda generic, but tested it out, and does the job.

Thinking of putting the lcd deep into the corner inside the nose. Back camera to passenger peg, or maybe under tail if... Front camera on inner side of side fairing. Planning to try next time I need to take the tank off.

Seen too many things on the road. Ideally want a camera on all my vehicles.
Looks good, I'd be really interested to see how you get on with the install. I think I've managed to find the same camera in the UK, spec looks good so may give it a try as a winter project https://www.nortek.co.uk/bike-bro-du...otorcycle-dvr/ Cheers, John

F3 800 MY16

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode