F3 Reliability Compared to Others - MVAgusta.net
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

F3 Reliability Compared to Others

Hello and Greetings Fellowship Of The Italian Stalian.Ive already post a thread on the New Members corner.So just need to ask this few things here.My name is Sein and im from Kuala Lumpur Malaysia.Getting my new 2015 Mv Agusta F3 in a few days.I have been reading all i can in this forum in regards to this amazing bike.I have been thinking hard and contemplating should i purchase the F3 or not.And believe me reading the materials here about the bike got me thinking twice if not thrice if not...hmmm a lot. Before this,the dealer in Malaysia is scattered and theres no flagship store that really focuses on the Brand.Last month Mv Agusta Malaysia Flagship store was launched and of course the new Distributor has promised to take care of the after sales service (fingers crossed) and warranty.

So i decided..wht the hell,why not.Just cant stop looking at the bike on the net.And my mind is whispering down to my inner self and told me,If it acts on you deal with it.Its worth it.One of the Best looking bike youve set your eyes on.So i guess im listening to him.This is gonna be my 6th bike from 10 short years of riding 600cc class and above.And yes ive gotten a good deal as the Old distributor is letting go of their stock so that the new distributor can start selling the newer models.

So please correct me if im wrong and add on,things tht might happen at a ratio of more then 50 percent are as below,

Sprag Clutch
Exhaust servo
Electronic Stuff
Valve Dropping
Idle problem
Ride by wire throttle problem

Forgive my noobness in this Brand for asking things that has been discussed here a lot of times.But it feels much better when my concerned is being answered directly and it gives me more confident on the decision tht i just made.Tht sounded selfish,but i think we all can be a bit selfish when its Mv agusta were talking about.

I look forward to getting to know the members here from Seniors to Juniors like myself.

So here are my bike progression in 10 years

Kawasaki Er6N -----> Ducati Monster 796 ------> Triumph Daytona 675 ------> Honda CBR1000rr -------> Triumph Bonneville T120

Still have the Daytona for Track and Bonneville for daily use.Need a sportbike for weekend canyon carvings hence The F3 has been invited to the family.The CBR was tottled on an accident i had last December,all praises to God for making me exit the crash which i flew 85 meters and landed on the pavement with only a mild concussion and some Road Rash (was wearing full riding gear)

Thanks for listening to my story or just me rambling like a girly pillow talk my daughters have.

ps - wife doesnt know bout the F3 yet,if she gets pissed ill tell her your lucky tht i collect bikes,not girlfriends.
MikeBianconi and MikeBianconi like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 02:54 PM

I have had none of the problems you have listed with my '13 F3 675. My bike currently has about 4000 miles on it and about 600-800 are track miles. The throttle is rather sensitive in the sport setting but using the custom settings for throttle sensitivity helped. Buy the bike and enjoy it. Just make sure you have a high quality battery that is fully charged.

Todd
2013 F3 675 (RIP)
2014 B3 800 Italia
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 03:12 PM

I've had my F3 the longest of any of my bikes, in my short biking career. Maybe I've been lucky. Of the sports bikes I've had (not including my M600 Monsters):

GSX-R600 K7 - x2 reg rectifiers, x1 battery, x1 fueling issue (I was getting 80-90 a tank so it had to go in reperatedly for adjusting), I removed the exhaust servo. Sadly crashed twice / ran off the road. Bought on 8k, died on 13k.

ZX6-R P8F - x1 battery, x1 cam chain arrangement (chain and tensioner) - got very noisey and rattly, exhaust servo removed when I changed the pipe. Bought on 3k, sold on 10k.

MV Agust F3 '13 - x1 battery, short horn wires, removed exhaust servo last week. Bought on 0, now on 8k.

Ducati Monster 821 16 - 0 issues. Bought on 0 now on 4k (daily commuter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk140 View Post
I have had none of the problems you have listed with my '13 F3 675. My bike currently has about 4000 miles on it and about 600-800 are track miles. The throttle is rather sensitive in the sport setting but using the custom settings for throttle sensitivity helped. Buy the bike and enjoy it. Just make sure you have a high quality battery that is fully charged.
Thats quite a lot of track miles,i track my Daytona once a month,and of course ould like to track The F3 sometimes.Any advice on how dos and donts in regards to tracking the F3

Battery! Checked..Will get tht fitted before it goes out of the shop.Any suggestions specification on batt amps and power? i know it has to be lithium.Im quite clueless when it comes to amps watts and so on..

Last edited by saintos63; 07-26-2017 at 04:05 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfire View Post
I've had my F3 the longest of any of my bikes, in my short biking career. Maybe I've been lucky. Of the sports bikes I've had (not including my M600 Monsters):

GSX-R600 K7 - x2 reg rectifiers, x1 battery, x1 fueling issue (I was getting 80-90 a tank so it had to go in reperatedly for adjusting), I removed the exhaust servo. Sadly crashed twice / ran off the road. Bought on 8k, died on 13k.

ZX6-R P8F - x1 battery, x1 cam chain arrangement (chain and tensioner) - got very noisey and rattly, exhaust servo removed when I changed the pipe. Bought on 3k, sold on 10k.

MV Agust F3 '13 - x1 battery, short horn wires, removed exhaust servo last week. Bought on 0, now on 8k.

Ducati Monster 821 16 - 0 issues. Bought on 0 now on 4k (daily commuter)
Thats great to know tht the least of your problems is from the F3.Great boost for me.hehehe U have never gone through the Sprag issue like most people have? Mine is gonna be the 2015 brand new unit with the new upgrades from 2015 model onwards(bosch ABS etc etc)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 05:35 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintos63 View Post
Thats great to know tht the least of your problems is from the F3.Great boost for me.hehehe U have never gone through the Sprag issue like most people have? Mine is gonna be the 2015 brand new unit with the new upgrades from 2015 model onwards(bosch ABS etc etc)
Keep in mind that the 800cc F3 version suffers/suffered from sprag clutch wear.
Those problems are alot less or rare on 675cc version. (I could be wrong about the 675cc but I myself havent found 2 stories about that particular problem on this forum)

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 06:15 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Remember this.....on any internet bike forum you will hear from everyone who has had a problem (and some who claim to have just to stir the pot), but very few comments from the people who have never had a problem.
Although it may seem like nearly every bike out there is just a breakdown waiting to happen, the reality is the majority never have a problem.

Take good care of your bike and it will take good care of you. Ride safe.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 06:35 PM
Established Member

I have a 2015 F3 which now has 16,000km, I have had the below:
Sprag Clutch - fixed
Exhaust servo - not fixed, dealer tried several options, in the end recommended a third party plug in to ECU to eliminate the system
Electronic Stuff - Half fixed, but still very reluctant to use high beam as it has burnt out several times
Ride by wire throttle problem - fixed

It can be a frustrating bike, but it's also an incredible machine. I won't pretend it's a Yamaha, Honda or Kawasaki that you can beat on and it will go forever. It's new, has its issues and it's a complicated process to work out.

To me personally, I used the bike for everything, commuting, fun rides, track days etc. as my outlook being I'm not gonna spend loads of money on a bike to not use it. I now have a second bike I use to daily and keep the MV as a fun toy which is probably the best bet.

My recommendations on the whole, day one get yourself a lithium ion battery, this will avoid the sprag clutch issues and will help you long term, factory batteries are rubbish. Other than that, ride the bike, enjoy it and love it. Don't pretend it will never break, it might not, but I'd expect it to do so at some point to avoid frustrations when it happens. I hope it does not, but my experience is they're fantastic bikes and I wouldn't trade mine for anything, but I won't pretend it's as solid as my CBR.

(Sorry if this post sounds negative, or a downer, but I'd rather give a legitimate experience than just sounding off how awesome they are, you already know that )
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 10:03 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
I had my F3 675 for almost 2 years, has 12,000km with no issues, has started first time every time.

Also reading the forums may seem doom and gloom but people generally come here when they have a problem.They don't come here and start threads "Bike started perfectly today and had an enjoyable time on it".

I think a big thing with bikes is to ride them often and maintain them properly. The ones that sit and don't do that many kms seem to have more issues. I don't commute but usually ride it nearly every weekend, or after work if there is enough light (lots of wildlife after dark here)

I had similar concerns, but glad I opted to buy and have no regrets at all, and as of now will not ever sell it. It has easily been the best bike I have ever owned.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 04:34 AM

No, no problems with the sprag. But it does seem to be more prevalent with 800's, although I suspect that if you repeatedly try to start a 675 with a low battery you will kill the sprag.

It seems that the servos mainly go on the F3's and fiared models. I suspect that this is because they are right next to the radiator and in the path of the vent on the side, so it eventually gets cooked and dies. I just got rid of it.

As above you do hear a lot about problems on the internet and many people don't provide the full story or say anything good. e.g. "I've had my bike for 2 years, not issues. Now it's died this bike is s**t!!" or "My battery has died after 3 months!" - (but I only ride the bike every 6 weeks and don't keep it on a tender). That said the bikes are not without issues and some are very unlucky. Some of it comes down to poor PDI on the part of the dealers, others because they are a hand assembled bike.

But if you dig into any other make there are loads of issues. Just the MV community is much smaller. Where MV fall down is the factory backup, one dealer I know said that the biggest issues they have is witrh BMW, but the support is amazng and if you need a new part it will be there next day, or a new engine, it will be shipped within the week. MV, errrr....., I got a new tank in a week, others have waited ages for small parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode